First Stage worth it??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kissdom

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I was about to bid for this first stage online when I notice there are little round balls in the Yoke air inlet, are those corrosion? cose I am not sure anymore if it is worth the bidding anymore..

$_57.jpg

That's just a filter. It's made of metal, but doesn't usually corrode. The one in the picture looks normal to me.

Looks like a screen for debris?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yes, it's the filter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

phew, that picture trashed my hopes for a moment, LOL.. thanks yall!!

That is a filter is made by compressing small metal balls together so they stick together with air gaps between the compressed balls. The filter can/will corrode if not taken care of properly (and your first sign water is getting into the reg) but that one looks fine. The filters are a brass composit material, any corrosion will be a green color.

That actually looks like a pretty clean filter, which is usually a good sign.

No matter how good a used reg set looks, after buying it, you should sent it to a technician to make a complete service before any dive. If you trust the seller or the seller has a well gained reputation and he confirms that the reg set has been serviced, at least try it in a pool to know how it works.

No matter how good a used reg set looks, after buying it, you should sent it to a technician to make a complete service before any dive. If you trust the seller or the seller has a well gained reputation and he confirms that the reg set has been serviced, at least try it in a pool to know how it works.

Trust but verify.

Regardless of who has or has not worked on a reg, one should test a reg in the water for proper operation before relying on it. I test mine in the pool, then dive a tank in shallow water (30-60'), and then a final test to 120' or so before I go back to worrying about other issues. This with regular maintenance checks I perform on my regs has kept catastrophic failure to zero over decades.

Bob
---------------------------------
"the future is uncertain and the end is always near"
Jim Morrison

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom