First stage connections-DIY?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Runny

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Northern New Mexico in spring & summer.....Under t
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have just purchased my first scuba equipment:
Excursion BC
Aqualung Titan LX Regulator
Oceanic SWIV 180 Octopus
Oceanic 200ft. Maxdepth Combo Gauge
The question is, can I attach the 2nd two items to my first stage myself or should it be done by a "professional"?
Any special considerations or techniques I should be aware of?
All thoughts appreciated!

Simple to do yourself, just make sure the gauges go on a HP port and the second stages go on a LP port. Pretty easy to tell which is which, most are marked but just look in the port, if there is a TINY hole in the back it's a HP port, anything else is a LP port.
Now here is the difficult, important tech stuff: If you like you can lube the orings with a little silicone grease or spit does OK. Start the hoses BY HAND and keep going BY HAND until they snug up. This should be very easy to do, any resistance indicates something is wrong and you need to find out what. Then with the proper sized wrench SNUG them a little. No need for more than a good snugging, if you need more than a couple of fingers on the wrench your tighting them too much. The O-ring does the sealing, if you have a leak, it's an Oring or mating surface problem, tightening the connection more will not help and may cause damage.

herman is right. If you can connect a garden hose, you can hook up your regulator hoses.. almost.

Nothing special, just make sure you get the LP stuff hooked to the low pressure port, and the HP stuff connected to the high pressure port. The only HP connection should be your SPG.

Good advice above, just to add:

If you have a tank handy, put the reg on a tank in the position you will be diving it. Then attach your hoses to make sure you agree with the routing.

Basically, you do not want to get to the dive boat/site and find out you have the hoses coming over the wrong shoulder or in a position where the tank causes a crimp in the hose.

c

Back
Top Bottom