First Solo!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a 100 hp with a 30 cf yellow buddy when I dive solo or when I dive deep. When I can afford a set of doubles I will dive that. Well maybe not, I live in a third floor aptment and lugging a set of doubles up does not appeal to me at all. I think that I will stay with the pony. Easier to lug around.

Well maybe not, I live in a third floor aptment and lugging a set of doubles up does not appeal to me at all.
I lived on the 3rd floor last year as well, not fun at all....

Right now because my steel 100's and 120's are in a warehouse in NC I'm just diving an AL80 with a 19 pony. For me in my small inland lake this seems sufficient. I barely use 1500psi for a 40 minute dive so for me it seems there is plenty of room for error.

I dove again Friday on my lake, it never ceases to amaze me what you can find in a little late and only at a relatively shallow depth. In fact if I go to 30 ft there is almost nothing to see, just barren flat bottom. But if I stay at 15 - 20 ft there are fish galour(?) and the water is soooo much warmer. I hope to get another dive in this coming weekend. So far this has been a great experience for me and now pulling the bouy around my wife can follow my progress with some surprise.

PS, I have doven solo in the ocean to 100 ft a few times lobster hunting. I get a bit spooked but always manage to get back on the boat.

2. I'm thinking these days that a single tank with Y- or H-valve should NOT be worn when solo diving. Instead, either independent doubles should be worn, or a large single with a large pony bottle (a buddy bottle) should be worn. (I prefer the independent doubles whenever possible.) This is the only way to guarantee an independent emergency air supply. I'd like to know what others think about this.

FWIW.

For what little it's worth, I agree. I use doubles on an isolator manifold or a single HP 130 with 40 pony. Prefer the former, primarily for balance, but also for the exercise of lugging the damn things around

Another succesful solo dive this weekend. Had one small problem pulling a bouy around. As I moved over ridges or reefs from depth The excess cord keeps getting caught in my fins, but I am just glad to be out.

DOn't get me wrong, if I had a buddy who could make these dives with me without it being a big hassle I take him or her. I dive solo only because it keeps me wet and my wife agrees to be my tender. I wish she would dive again with me but she hates cold water, and has equalizing issues.

Hi Everyone,
I've been using independent 95s in side mount configuration. Very few entanglement problems, and the ones I did have were easily taken care of. The valves/regs are within easy reach, and you have total redundancy. It works well for me anyways. Just my .02 for what it's worth. What does any one else think?
Safe Diving,
George
PADI MSDT 33859
Prime Scuba

I've done a few solo dives now and I have to say I prefer it to diving recreationally with a buddy. There is a local area at a nearby lake where divers train. There are ropes laid out on the bottom which many divers follow to familiarize themselves with the area. I've been practicing my solo diving here as it is extremely familiar and there are literally "paths" to follow. I feel very comfortable diving here solo and as others have stressed, diving solo in a familiar area is a better practice than being a stranger in a strange environment.

I have dove solo both with doubles and with a single AL80. One key component of my dives is to return with a third of my gas. So far, so good and if folks chuckle because I came up with 1000 - 1200 lbs of air well, let 'em laugh. I had more than enough gas in case of a problem.

I should mention that when I have done my solo dives (to date) at this site there are always other divers from my LDS present (usually conducting classes for new students). While I don't dive with them I do inform one or two of the instructors what I plan to do and when I plan to return. I let them know where I stash my keys, which car is mine and where any pertinent paperwork (like my Health Card) might be found in case of an emergency. While it won't help my safety on the dive at least it may raise some red flags if I'm not seen at a time when I should be back.

Finally, I tend to float a lift bag on most of my dives for my safety stop. I have two reels; an OMS reel and a finger reel. I've practiced using both of them with a great deal of success. Best advice I have is to NEVER clip a reel to yourself when deploying lest you take a rocket ride in the event of a jam up. In addition (as previously mentioned) float the marker from 10 feet below your intended stop depth as a safety margin and get yourself slightly negative as you fill and release the bag. Oh, and I prefer the finger reel for the lift bag over the hand-crank reel. It never jams.

Welcome to the dark side. Remember, if your dive is screwed up, it was your fault! :wink:
The Dark Side??? I always thought that solo diving is enlightenment! :D
Safe Diving,
George
PADI MSDT 33859
Prime Scuba

The Dark Side??? I always thought that solo diving is enlightenment! :D
Safe Diving,
George
PADI MSDT 33859
Prime Scuba

It is both....a contradicion onto itself haha....Most consider it too taboo or strange or dangerous, while those who know its intricacies and pleasures consider it divine and challenging.

Back
Top Bottom