First Solo!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxPower

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Did it yesterday, was a little spooked at first, then cooled out. Spent an hour @ 25' in the local quarry. Had a couple of probems; couldn't reach the valves on my H-valve (also first dive on a new HP130); and at the end of the dive I tryed my first deployment of my new lift-bag and got the line tangled on my reel after it let out about 10', and it dragged me up about 10'. Any pointers for tommorows dive?

My first solo dive was setting tag lines as a DMC for a class. I missed the security of a buddy then, although I got used to it after setting several tag lines over time.

I think it makes sense to take a D/M course to improve your overall skills, if you want to dive solo. I would also go so far as to say anyone who is not at least a D/M should not solo dive.

Anytime you are playing with reels/spools, you need to hold the reel/spool away from you at a full arm's length. Otherwise it is likely to get tangled in something, either your fins, or your reg, or something on your gear that can snag line.

. I would also go so far as to say anyone who is not at least a D/M should not solo dive.

THANK YOU FOR PROBABLY SAVING MY LIFE !!!!!!!!!

I am only Full Cave and Trimix certified,dont know how I have survived solo dives up to now.

Am going to practice kneeling on the bottom then sign up for DM :D

THANK YOU FOR PROBABLY SAVING MY LIFE !!!!!!!!!

I am only Full Cave and Trimix certified,dont know how I have survived solo dives up to now.

Am going to practice kneeling on the bottom then sign up for DM :D

I would not recommend cave diving solo, nor penetrating shipwrecks solo.

Therefore I do not see what your wreck qualifications have to do with solo diving??

Did it yesterday, was a little spooked at first, then cooled out. Spent an hour @ 25' in the local quarry. Had a couple of probems; couldn't reach the valves on my H-valve (also first dive on a new HP130); and at the end of the dive I tryed my first deployment of my new lift-bag and got the line tangled on my reel after it let out about 10', and it dragged me up about 10'. Any pointers for tommorows dive?

In terms of reaching your valves, how are you trying to do it? It's much easier if you're in horizontal trim rather than vertical in the water. You can try reaching down to the base of the tank with one hand to shift it along your back a bit towards your head - though it depends on how your rig is set up as to whether this will help. The most important thing is to not fight with your equipment and stay relaxed. A common problem is trying to reach your valves by "butterflying" your arm, i.e. sticking your elbow out sideways. You get more reach if you keep your arm right up tight next to your ear.

I would not recommend cave diving solo, nor penetrating shipwrecks solo.

Therefore I do not see what your wreck qualifications have to do with solo diving??

Who said anything about going solo in caves? I solo dive mainly in our local lake. Cave training does teach a little about gear redundancy and gas management.

I dont have any Wreck qualifications.

Did you read my post??

MaxPower,

Welcome to the Brotherhood.

Practice makes perfect. The vast majority of my solo dives are at 25 feet, where I practice all of my drills.

Be safe, have fun!

Hey sounds like you started off with some excitement.

I am glad to see you were in familiar territory and keeping it shallow.

I don't know of to many divers who regularly shoot bags that have not at least 'once' got the line tangled or bird-nested. For what its worth when shooting a bag for use as a deco line, its recommended to shoot that sucker about 10ft. deeper than your intended first stop....allows for some minor error and adjustment....but as a word of warning be careful and always be prepared to let it go if the situation warrants. Take your time deploying the bag and ensure your gear is clear of the line and bag straps...keep it shallow while practicing.

Work with reaching your H-valve by tank ht. adjustment....bc/harness adjustment and poss. wet/dry suit fit....even body position and arm stretch and reach.

Take it slow and progress into your 'solo' diving....have fun and keep it safe!

PS-- I dive a HP130/H-valve also when diving a single configuration...great combo.

I think it makes sense to take a D/M course to improve your overall skills, if you want to dive solo. I would also go so far as to say anyone who is not at least a D/M should not solo dive.

............... :rofl3: ............. this is just silly!

Sorry for laughing.

Any pointers for tommorows dive?

Don't bring new gear/equipment or try new tasks/skills on solo dives. You should be completely familiar with your gear and skills when solo. Any new gear or skills should be tested during buddy dives. Good choice in keeping it shallow!

nereas:

I would go so far as to say that if you're only DM certified that you should not solo dive. A DM course doesn't teach anyone how to dive; it teaches how to uphold agency standards. DM courses also do not improve overall skills. Sure, it teaches you how to demonstrate skills while kneeling on the bottom, but how often are you kneeling on the bottom while diving. I never am. And I don't teach my students while kneeling either. Most of the cave divers I know solo dive in caves. And they have a pretty good track record.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom