First Solo Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before my wife got certified, she was terrified of my soloing. I was very vague about it. But this year she got her cert, though she is strictly a warm water, recreational, resortesque diver. Now she understands what it means when I reassure by her emphasizing that I am carrying a redundant gas supply (pony) and will be diving a very conservative dive plan. I can discuss my solo dives with her afteward, which is a great relief. Soloing is not in her near future (or anything less than 50 foot vis and water temps below 70 degrees) but still, a little education is a wonderful thing.

Welcome to the dark side with those who have seen the light.

I love my solo dives. I feel fantastic before, during, and after. My hubby is also an instructor but he doesn't love solo diving as much. He understands that I do though.

Boys. I like the irony here. Most men are stuck lying by telling their wives that they were alone the whole time...... hehehehe. You can't win, sometimes.

It was nice to be able to watch a nudibranch crawl around for 10mins, and just watch a big school of salmon for even longer. Other times I just floated around in the same spot for a while looking at the sunrays.

Ditto... Most of the times I'm out with a buddy, they're not as excited by watching snails make tracks as I am. Go figure. Today I went to a local spot with a large group of metridium and just hung there motionless, letting the current and surge take me where it willed.

When I dropped, I encountered a number of moon jellies about halfway in the water column. I spent some time following one, admiring its intricate design. Simple things fascinate me, and it's nice to pursue those experiences at my leisure.

Boys. I like the irony here. Most men are stuck lying by telling their wives that they were alone the whole time...... hehehehe. You can't win, sometimes.

Hee hee... Most likely none of you remember, but a couple of years ago I posted to this forum, asking for advice with a girlfriend who refused to accept me going solo. Most of you gave the same advice, which I took- drop the subject and dive with buddies. She was certified, knew the risks, and wasn't willing to accept them. Ironically, I found myself in the exact opposite position some of you now experience- she was fine with me learning to cave dive, and even had interest in pursuing it with me.

Anyways, as of June her desires in this regard hold much less sway. From here on out, me diving solo is a condition that any potential partner has to openly accept. Nice and clean from the start, thank you :)

For those of you with marriages older than your solo desires, I feel for you (much as I can). I hope you're able to resolve the matter in a way that preserves both your integrity and your spouses sanity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom