First Solo Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The first time I was "solo" was in a pool where I was taking lessons. Went over one day got a tank and weights, jumped into the deepend, layed down and went to sleep. The owner saw me on the bottom and freaked. Tried to haul me up with a hook. I wasn't too happy about that. After a little talk he let me go, and allowed me to do it a couple more times during my training, all's he asked was that I tell him my plans. This was 1970, and I was 17.

Did the same thing a couple years ago off a dive boat. Beautitful sunny day, clear water, 25ft depth. Layed on the bottom and let the little surg rock me back and forth. Other divers kept coming over and poking me. My nice easy breathing just wasn't good enough for them.

I learned the hard way last weekend, when catching up with your parents on your dive adventures, that sometimes it's best to lie about who you do (or don't) go with.

Ditto the sticky-ness of family/friends rejection of solo diving.

Is it responsible to lie? This is the question I'm torn over. Diving solo requires a honest self evaluation and self regulation (per von Meir) and neglecting to mention 'certain' details of my dive to family members just seems irresponsible. Sorry to hijack...

Congrats on your first solo.

Not a hijack I think.
My wife doesn't like me soloing either so I don't go into the gory details. I try not to lie; I just don't "volunteer" information :eyebrow: . One important area that this affects though is letting a contact know where you are diving. I leave my PADI log book on the drivers seat with my ICE numbers inside so my unoccupied car will eventually give clues and I usually tell my wife where I am going in general terms but she is a non diver and doesn't really know where I am in specific terms. I've been toying with the idea of setting up an email check in system with some other divers I know. Basically something like "I'm going to such and such a site today and doing these dives. If I don't email you by this afternoon/evening/whenever phone me and/or start the ball rolling.
I'll make a post on how it goes if I do so.

Biz_nate and Saspotato: Welcome to the solo-side!! :D

I'm really glad you both had good experiences, because that often helps strip away any lingering doubts about whether you are "ready" to dive solo, or whether you should solo at all. Most (all?) of us were taught from the start and then constantly reminded throughout our diving careers about the benefits of the buddy system, and the "extreme" dangers of solo.

One thing I find interesting is the similarity of emotions expressed by divers when they finally do solo: "Relaxing", "Feeling Free", "Zen", "Bliss", "Solitude" are all terms I've read, and felt, in relation to solo diving.

So, welcome to the secret society of solo diving. Keep the feelings described above to yourself, because otherwise the entire diving establishment would be threatened, anarchy will ensue, and DIR practitioners will begin wearing snorkels.... or at least that's what I've heard. :D

I find solo diving very peaceful and rewarding. I hope the OP finds additional solo experiences embracing and relaxing.

I love the solo dive. Not having to worry about anybody except myself. My wife on the other hand is scared to death that I will die every time I go in the water. I don't like being dishonest, but some times I just want to dive by myself.

Biz_nate and Saspotato: Welcome to the solo-side!! :D

I'm really glad you both had good experiences, because that often helps strip away any lingering doubts about whether you are "ready" to dive solo, or whether you should solo at all. Most (all?) of us were taught from the start and then constantly reminded throughout our diving careers about the benefits of the buddy system, and the "extreme" dangers of solo.

One thing I find interesting is the similarity of emotions expressed by divers when they finally do solo: "Relaxing", "Feeling Free", "Zen", "Bliss", "Solitude" are all terms I've read, and felt, in relation to solo diving.

So, welcome to the secret society of solo diving. Keep the feelings described above to yourself, because otherwise the entire diving establishment would be threatened, anarchy will ensue, and DIR practitioners will begin wearing snorkels.... or at least that's what I've heard. :D

Thank you :) Actually most of the more experienced divers I know, do solo dives locally so I got a pretty good idea of what to expect from them. Most look down on buddy diving a fair bit so I have more gotten the opposite attitude "don't dive with buddies!" :wink: I guess one reason behind that is that diving for crays is popular and its hard to do that with a buddy! Also I know a lot of photographers :) I see both types of diving differently and now that I've realised how fun it is to solo I hope to do a lot more of it. Still like diving with my regular buddy though, so both buddy diving and solo diving appeal to me for different reasons.

I love the solo dive. Not having to worry about anybody except myself. My wife on the other hand is scared to death that I will die every time I go in the water. I don't like being dishonest, but some times I just want to dive by myself.

It is interesting, my partner did not raise an eyebrow when I said I went out by myself. Well no more than usual, he tends to worry I will die anytime I go out diving, either with a buddy or not! I think as he is a non-diver and knows zero about diving he probably doesn't realise how much buddy diving is pushed in OW and other courses so doesn't realise that some people disapprove.

That's often a tough decision (whether to be honest). In my case I decided this was one of those times in married life where a "white lie" would be the wrong thing to do. So I always tell her.

My wife is also diver and along with my 3 kids is my primary buddy, but does not want to dive "constantly" like I do :D

She understands and is fairly supportive when I solo, but being the brilliant and creative person she is, she has begun acting as a "scuba match-maker" of sorts: If she finds out someone is a diver, she'll say "Hey, my husband loves to dive and is always looking for a dive buddy, so here is his number". Shes gonna outwit all of my excuses for diving solo, and I'll finally have to admit that I sometimes just like the solitude :yinyang:

Have Fun!

The good life of soloing. Very relaxing. :D

I was reminded this past weekend when I went on a cold water dive trip with some other divers why I like to solo. One of the divers got seperated from his buddy. Both had surfaced at different times and then descended again to look for one another. One of the buddies re-surfaced and stayed on the surface and waited while the other buddy kept on diving since he could not find his buddy and surfaced some 30 minutes later. Hmm, good dive buddy.

I do enjoy a good buddy dive but I find myself getting very picky about who I dive with.

My wife has no problem with me soloing in OW but I am not allowed to take up cave diving.

My wife has no problem with me soloing in OW but I am not allowed to take up cave diving.

LOL. My wife has this tick too. I respect it because I love her intensely but it is a bit odd....

She doesn't have any trouble with me making solo deco dives on 100 year old war ships in 30 or 40 metres of water that are falling apart and loaded to the rafters with unstable explosives....because "I know what I'm doing" but she asked me to promise never to dive in a cave ... :ermm:

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom