First set of Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VT - I too am planning the same setup as you - double E8-130's (whenever they make it to Canada :rolleyes: ), and had my eyes on the Oxycheq 50lb wing. I'm glad you dugout this thread as I was eyeing up the 70lb wing. Not needed by my math.....

Thanks
SS

MASS-Diver once bubbled...
...I plan on purchasing an explorer wing, highland bands, and a halycon manifold.

I'm not sure about the tanks yet. ...

Don't you have the tail wagging the dog?

Usually you would choose your ideal twin tanks first, then match them to a manifold afterwards, and bands.

My recommendation for shallow wreck diving in cold water (like New England or the Great Lakes) would be twin 72s with an aluminum backplate.

My recommendation for warm water (like the Florida Keys) would be twin aluminum 80s with a steel backplate.

1000 divers will have 1000 different opinions on this, however.

IndigoBlue once bubbled...

My recommendation for shallow wreck diving in cold water (like New England or the Great Lakes) would be twin 72s with an aluminum backplate.

My recommendation for warm water (like the Florida Keys) would be twin aluminum 80s with a steel backplate.

diving dry, opt for the Steel plate, it just makes no sence to use alum. For warm florida or caribbean, Alum plate, but that's just so it's light on your luggage if you use a wetsuit of 3mm or higher. for poeple diving with skins,... 6lb SS might be too much.

VTernovski once bubbled...

diving dry, opt for the Steel plate, it just makes no sence to use alum. For warm florida or caribbean, Alum plate, but that's just so it's light on your luggage if you use a wetsuit of 3mm or higher. for poeple diving with skins,... 6lb SS might be too much.

I love the aluminum plate mostly for travel. I therefore use it for almost everything.

The only time I would consider a steel plate would be to offset the positive buoyancy of twin alum tanks when they are almost empty. But I would not go out and buy a steel plate just for that. It's easier just to wear 8 more lbs on a weight belt with twin alum 80s and an alum backplate.

998 other divers would have 998 other opinions.

i dive wet year round and dive double al 80s i use an old set up that my first intructor had it is a single manifold and works wonderful i have dove this set up several times and have never had a problem you do have to take some time to get use to the bounancy changes but after you get the hang of it you won't have any problems if you are interested i may be selling my al 80 set up i do not do a lot of local diving anymore and doubles are hard to travel with (flying) pm me and we can talk about them if you are interested

I am thinking to buy just a plastic backplate, but not for diving, but for rather carrying the 2nd set of doubles around to have the filled, etc... just checked LeisurePro and their ABS plastic plate is more expensive than Alum. (Dive Rite) oh well..

IndigoBlue once bubbled...

I love the aluminum plate mostly for travel. I therefore use it for almost everything.

The only time I would consider a steel plate would be to offset the positive buoyancy of twin alum tanks when they are almost empty. But I would not go out and buy a steel plate just for that. It's easier just to wear 8 more lbs on a weight belt with twin alum 80s and an alum backplate.

998 other divers would have 998 other opinions.

I’d rather have the steel plate and take 8 pounds off my belt.

I dive dry with HP 120, a SS 12lb FredT plate and 6lb STA. I still have 12lb of lead on my belt. A great deal of the weight is on the backplate, dropping the belt will make me positive, but not a rocket.

BTW my wing only has 36lb of lift, and it is plenty.

996 to go.

Something else to think about that no one has mentioned... what are your buddies going/are to dive/diving? There's no reason to get 130's if all your buddies are planning on diving 72s (just for example), there also might be a particular reason they chose/are choosing a certain size.

VT... you might wanna rethink the ABS plate, after a while your mounting holes will turn into mounting ovals :D

Ben

roakey once bubbled...
Here we have the classic mistake of adding up "in air" weight and thinking we need to base our lift requirements on "in air" weight.

Maybe you don't, I personally used a bored-out, H.O. power inflator, lay on it after my 20ft stop, aim for the boat, clear the gunwale and land square in my seat. That, or hit it on the surface with mix in my tanks and levitate to my seat on the boat.

:D

Ben

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom