First regulator purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would look towards three major manufacturers: ScubaPro, Aqualung and Mares, as these are the brands most serviceable by the LDSs in south-west Ohio. Go for intermediate level regulators, such as an Aqualung Titan LX, a Mares Abyss 22 or ScubaPro Mk17/G260. You will get plenty of performance, from a system that will last for years as you progress through more advanced diving.

Not to be a naysayer but there are 2 issues with HOGs that make them less than ideal for many divers, there are not many dealers so service can be hard to find and most rec divers do not want DIN connections. They are good regs but for a lot of divers those are significant problems which make them less than ideal regs, esp if they want local support.

*sigh* I hate when I see posts like this because they basically are saying 'you can't fight city hall', which I have to call BS on. You can fight city hall by participating in the process. You can get local service for your regs if you make it clear to the LDS that if they don't service them you will simply send them out of town AND STILL SAVE CASH!

And what with the DIN trashing ??? Have you been watching PADI videos from the 90's??? Aside from that antiquated thought HOG regulators come with a yoke adaptor if you don't have DIN tanks, and considering most new tanks come with a convertible valve your point is so moot its a moo (as in follow the herd moo if the allusion was too subtle for you)

I use and recommend Dive Rite regulators. I have gone to all one brand of regulator for ease of service and parts. I service my own regs. I have had mine to 484' and they breathe fine even that deep. I know of another diver that has had his to 600' and it was with his advise that I went to this brand. They are easy and simple to service and the parts are available from the manufacturer without any issues.

If I was to start all over again, I would look very seriously at Hog/ Edge. They are good, reliable, and affordable.

*sigh* I hate when I see posts like this because they basically are saying 'you can't fight city hall', which I have to call BS on. You can fight city hall by participating in the process. You can get local service for your regs if you make it clear to the LDS that if they don't service them you will simply send them out of town AND STILL SAVE CASH!

And what with the DIN trashing ??? Have you been watching PADI videos from the 90's??? Aside from that antiquated thought HOG regulators come with a yoke adaptor if you don't have DIN tanks, and considering most new tanks come with a convertible valve your point is so moot its a moo (as in follow the herd moo if the allusion was too subtle for you)

I am just being practical. If you think you will somehow force a LSD to add another reg line and all the associated cost with that because you are being huffy I think you are mistaken. Sure you can ship the reg out....and wait weeks to get it back for a minor tweak. Saving, maybe but you need to include the shipping in the bill which is not cheap these days. I would think the average diver would like to have a local tech who he could talk with and get quick advise from.

DIN trashing, nope just bring the conversation back to reality - nice try at PADI bashing I might add. Last I checked HOGs don't come with adapters and they must be ordered separately at an extra cost. I will admit that I don't keep a close eye on the line so that might have changed. If you travel much with regs in the US and Caribbean you will have a hard time finding DIN tanks or tanks with plugs which will require you to either have an adapter or have a reg with a yoke. While yoke adapters are available, they are a nuisance and add a failure point. If you normally use your reg where DIN tanks are not available, why buy a reg with less than optimal connection (DIN+adapter)? If you wish to stay with the brand, instead of a HOG, get the yoke version, the Epic series, saving the cost and hassle. I am not anti DIN, just informed and practical.
As for the moo comment...personal attacks are never appropriate and do not work on me. I have spent the time to educate myself on the detailed mechanics of both connections, their weaknesses and their strengths, rather than simply relaying on the trend in the market. Each has it’s place, which is best suited for the indivigual diver is for them to determine....I do not own DIN because yoke better suits my needs.

Aqualung Titans, cheap, realiable, widely serviced and good breathers. Good luck with your search.

---------- Post added February 24th, 2013 at 09:26 AM ----------

Never mind. Deleted.

DIN trashing, nope just bring the conversation back to reality - nice try at PADI bashing I might add. Last I checked HOGs don't come with adapters and they must be ordered separately at an extra cost. I will admit that I don't keep a close eye on the line so that might have changed. If you travel much with regs in the US and Caribbean you will have a hard time finding DIN tanks or tanks with plugs which will require you to either have an adapter or have a reg with a yoke. While yoke adapters are available, they are a nuisance and add a failure point. If you normally use your reg where DIN tanks are not available, why buy a reg with less than optimal connection (DIN+adapter)? If you wish to stay with the brand, instead of a HOG, get the yoke version, the Epic series, saving the cost and hassle. I am not anti DIN, just informed and practical.
As for the moo comment...personal attacks are never appropriate and do not work on me. I have spent the time to educate myself on the detailed mechanics of both connections, their weaknesses and their strengths, rather than simply relaying on the trend in the market. Each has it’s place, which is best suited for the indivigual diver is for them to determine....I do not own DIN because yoke better suits my needs.

For the record HOG does now offer a yoke conversion not just an adapter.

My wife, 12 year old son and I are looking for our first regulators to purchase. We would like nice dependable models. Don't have to be too cheap but not top of the line models either. Any suggestions?
Scubapro MK17/C300 or SubGear SG-1000 are very dependable regs. at a great value.

Methinks I touched a nerve :wink:

About 1 in 4ish regulators sold is scuba pro (so I have been told) that would make them the easiest serviceable world wide. Mid Range would be perfectly fine to start with, I have MK25/D600 if memory serves and I have a set of zeagle/apeks.. I dive Poseidon Jet-streams and x-streams, exceptional product but on the high end $ and performance.

Last edited:
Just as a point of information the HOG single tank set comes with the DIN yoke adapter as part of the kit. It does not need to be purchased separately. And for those with existing D-1's the conversion to yoke is available.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom