First Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RNELSON989

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Guys,

Jumping into buying my first reg set up and don't want to ask the which is better question just looking for a little insight. Found a SP Mk17 / G250V with R195 Octo in pristine shape for about $250.00 used. Don't have any info on dive count or service but like I said, it's a pristine set up. Is this a reasonable approach to my first reg set up? Wanted to get something that I could do different things with as I grow as a diver. Might try to find another G250V to go with it and do a DIR set up after service and inspection at my LDS. Thoughts....

Buying a used regulator that is in good condition is a great way to go... but it is all about the final, ready-to-dive price.

If needed, how much will service cost?

Is it a full regulator set, or do you need to add an SPG and inflator hose?

If you assume $75 - $125 to service the reg, added to the $250 purchase price, is it still worth it? For a very good quality, complete set, with no significant hidden problems, I'd say yes (compared to buying a comparable set new). The Mk-17 / G250V is a great set.

Find out how much to service it. Prices vary between shops and regions.

Best wishes.

Guys,

Jumping into buying my first reg set up and don't want to ask the which is better question just looking for a little insight. Found a SP Mk17 / G250V with R195 Octo in pristine shape for about $250.00 used. Don't have any info on dive count or service but like I said, it's a pristine set up. Is this a reasonable approach to my first reg set up? Wanted to get something that I could do different things with as I grow as a diver. Might try to find another G250V to go with it and do a DIR set up after service and inspection at my LDS. Thoughts....
Good reg, good price, 'dive count' is irrelevant. If it was recently serviced - ask the seller about that (when, where) - I would consider it a bargain. Sometimes, sellers have their gear serviced right before selling it and, frankly, the standard caution of then having it serviced again after purchase, is not necessarily sound.

BUT, I fully agree with LeadTurn_SD - the value of the unit will be affected by how much you pay AFTER buying it, to be able to dive it.

As for your thoughts about getting another / second G250V - GOOD FOR YOU. Sell the R195 on eBay, get an identical second stage, and enjoy diving.

If it's a fairly new regulator and you can get a good idea of it's history (like asking an honest seller) I would not worry too much about immediate service. That's a sealed 1st stage, it's very unlikely to have any internal corrosion unless it was abused or subjected to a wet fill. It should be inspected; the IP tested for stability, vacuum and bubble testing for any leaks, and you could easily remove the 2nd stage cover to peak inside for any corrosion. These are all things you could do yourself with some instructions, a tank, and an IP gauge. Or you could find someone to do it for you; there are some good dive shops with good techs who would quickly and easily (and freely or cheaply) give it a quick look-over. There are other shops that would just try to sell you a new reg or gouge you on an un-necessary service. It's a crapshoot.

Anyhow, its a very good price for an excellent regulator. At the very least, hook it up to a tank and see if it leaks at all; if not, and it breathes well, and you can leave it pressurized for several minutes without a leak developing which would indicate IP creep, it's 'probably' fine to dive with. If I bought a reg like that, that's exactly what I would do. But, there are two considerations: 1)I never dive in a way that a regulator failure would be life threatening, and 2) I can easily fix anything that's wrong with it as long as I can find parts.

Back
Top Bottom