First real boat dive coming up – Log questions…

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jringold

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife and I are headed for our first real boat dive in a couple of weeks– majorly excited. I know there is lots of consternation on logging – when to log, if you should log, what to log, electronic log, paper log, etc… Let’s say that for now I am a logger – I want to log everything.

So this may be a stupid question but I’ll risk it. The trip description is 6 boat dives over 3 days – is that two separate log entries each day or just one entry daily for each trip out on the boat? (I’m assuming that the boat does not come back during the SI but I could be wrong – never done this before….)

Two of these dives will be check out dives for the PPB course. Since they are checkout dives, do they count as logged dives? I know that some will say that I should log whatever is important to me – but is the general school of thought for the average diver that logs their dives follow this logic?

Finally – as far as getting my log signed – does the DM that is along sign each log entry or do I get my dive buddy to sign? I just don’t want to get an eye roll if I show up when the boat comes into dock and ask the DM for two signatures if that is not the proper thing to do.

Sorry for the moronic questions…

The questions are not dumb.

1. It is your logbook. Use it however you like, or not at all. Your choice.
2. In the beginning, you may wish to log all dives. Or not. I'd recommend logging them until you have a few more under your belt, then you can decide what "works" for you. The benefit to logging your early dives is to keep track of weighting, any problems you encountered, etc., so that you can refer back to the information... especially the weighting! For your specific question, I would log each dive separately. Date, time of dive, depth, bottom time, and whatever description and notes you wish to add. For each dive.
3. I've never had anyone sign my logbook, back when I faithfully used one in the 1970's-80's. Maybe this is just me, but my feeling is that it is my log. I don't need no steenkin' signatures. Besides, what would stop a diver from fabricating the entire log, including fake signatures?? It will be quickly apparent that you either do or do not have adequate skills necessary for a dive, with or without logbook.

If you want the log signed, I would have the DM who accompanied your dive sign it.

Take all of the above with a grain of salt... I am primarily a shore diver, and occasionally a solo diver...

Best wishes.

Each dive gets its own log entry. Dives done for a course still count. Either DM or buddy can sign, if that's important to you. Some dive shops have a stamp they can use to do it. Nothing wrong with your questions.

I log each dive I make. If it's a new site, or a different dive plan on the same site, or after a surface interval, it's a new dive by my book.

I don't consider pool dives. If the check out dive is an open water dive, I will log it.

I ask the dive master to sign it as proof of completion rather than my buddy. The dive shop may even have a stamp for your log book. If I'm diving with a buddy only or with a group of people, none of whom are leading the group, then my buddy signs off.

No one has ever asked to see my log book and it probably doesn't matter, but that's how I do things.

each time my body hits the water with scuba gear on, i log it. be it 5 minutes or 55 minutes; 5 feet or 200 feet. i log important info and stuff i like/dislike. i no longer do paper; i made the switch to electronic logs a ways back. Easier to search deal with electronic records as opposed to a couple of thousand pages of paper.

Novice diver here. Another thing you might want to log for every dive at least for a while is the amount of air you used (start and end tank pressure), amount of bottom time, and average depth so you can start to track your rate of air consumption. I find it to be good feedback as I refine my weighting and work on buoyancy skills. Also if you rent equipment you might want to note what you used as that can help figure out your weighting - e.g., I've used a jacket BC and a BP/W and they required different weights. I am now using my own equipment (BP/W) and my log helped me to dial in the weights a bit.

The posts above pretty much cover everything. I want to add that I carry a large slate in my wet gear on the boat so I can note information about the dive that won't be on the dive computer. When doing multiple dives you don't have to rely on memory of several dives at the end of the day or get your log book wet, which ended my logging each time I started over the years.

...including fake signatures?
I collect fake signatures, whenever I dive with a member of Scubaboard I have them sign their board name.

Bob

One tip:

To save time during the actual dive trip, there's no need to log each dive as it happens if your computer keeps track of the data and you can later download it. (Be sure to change the dive computer time to local time.)

However, it's easy to get overwhelmed by the details later, so it's a good idea to keep a few notes about your dives as they happen, such as name of the site, what you saw and you did/felt.

Then, when you get home, you can download the actual data and fill out your log and write a fuller description of your dive from your notes. It's a way of stretching out the enjoyment of the trip and being able to enjoy the scenery and your companions more during the trip.

I log each dive. And sometimes I log each dive I'm dreaming of doing! [emoji2]

But yes as others have said log what you want. It's good to also keep notes about what worked and what didn't especially for your weighting. You can refer to that the next dive trip you take.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I stopped logging dives shortly after my OW course, and I kind of wish I hadn't. I don't really know how many dives I've done, and there's a lot of info about those dives I've forgotten. So your intent to log carefully is a good one...I just wouldn't worry about getting a DM or buddy signature. If I were starting over, I'd want to do the log on a tablet or smartphone, maybe with some nifty app that also could take a dive computer download for the dive.

Ahh, who am I kidding...I'm way too lazy to do that. But I bet there's software for the ipad that does it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom