First Post, Equipment Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TylerSC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone, I am taking my PADI Open Water class next week which will be my first time breathing underwater. I did a lot of snorkeling as a kid so I am comfortable with the idea.

The weekend after the confined dives, I'm going on a trip to Florida to get my open water cert. dives.

I have been looking at equipment packages on Leisure Pro. They have what looks like a good deal on a Mares setup for a pretty good price. I like the idea of the back-inflation BCD. I am thinking of buying it.

I would appreciate some input on this setup. Also, I am a little conflicted about whether I should buy online or at my local dive shop, where I'm taking the class. I would feel like a jerk buying the gear online, then asking them to check it out and set it up for me. But I did buy my basic gear there (mask, snorkel, fins, boots, etc.).

Here is a link to the package:

Mares Package #2

Thanks!

I am a little conflicted about whether I should buy online or at my local dive shop, where I'm taking the class. I would feel like a jerk buying the gear online, then asking them to check it out and set it up for me. But I did buy my basic gear there (mask, snorkel, fins, boots, etc.) Thanks!

:hm: Well, be sure to wear the hat when you take the gear in to the LDS for fitting/adjustment.

Buy what your want, where you want. But if you buy online be prepared to get your support from the online dealer or figure it out yourself.

"Setting up" new gear is trivial--do it yourself. If you have any questions, ask here.

Some of the online retailers offer service, but your LDS should be happy to do it for you, for a reasonable fee--unless it's one of those shops that doesn't need the extra revenue.:wink:

Why not ask your local shop to offer gear at a price that's competitive with LeisurePro? If he can't, at least you gave him the opportunity, and you'll know where you stand with them and whether you have to go elsewhere for service and gas.

I would appreciate some input on this setup. Also, I am a little conflicted about whether I should buy online or at my local dive shop, where I'm taking the class. I would feel like a jerk buying the gear online, then asking them to check it out and set it up for me. But I did buy my basic gear there (mask, snorkel, fins, boots, etc.).

That looks like a decent package...problem is, you'll never know until you actually try it out in the water. Just because it's good gear doesn't mean it will actually suit you. Many [most? Nearly all?] divers discover that their initial purchases weren't the wisest and end up buying new sets when they have a bit of experience.

It's also the case that many experienced divers go on to use a backplate-and-wing BCD setup. Before you buy anything, you might want to check that out. Ask your instructor about this...during my PADI OW training not a single word was said about them, even though the training shop stocked and sold BPW gear. I would have looked into it if I had known more.

And yes, don't be surprised if your LDS is at least a little sniffy about setting up gear you bought online. I took my online-purchase regulator set to my LDS to get it set up with new hoses also purchased on line. I managed to sweeten the situation somewhat by including a computer/SPG unit I had bought from them earlier in the year. My LDS lady was nice about the situation, but I definitely got the impression she didn't appreciate it much [OTOH, I saved 50% on the reg and hoses, so I didn't feel too bad about the whole situation...].

Good luck with your OW dives in Florida. I certified in Florida while on holiday and had a pretty good time despite encountering less-than-great conditions...

If it were me I would rent a bunch before I bought, with the exception of a great fitting mask and possibly boots and fins. The mask I would NEVER buy online as you need to have one that fits the features of your face.

Matthew

Why packages? If you need someone else to set up your gear you may want to learn more about equipment and what will suit your needs before you start pulling out your wallet. If you need a package, see what the LDS can come up with in used (or mixed with new) gear and replace it with what you need as you learn more, because you will do that with your new package anyway.

Bob
------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Last edited:
I was in my local dive shop the other night, when some folks came in and were asking about bringing in their regulators, which they had bought at LeisurePro, for the shop to assemble, as they had not understood that they would not come ready to dive. I thought the shop owner was amazingly polite (not always his strong suit!) with them, because I think I would have been tempted to tell them something like, "We charge $100 to assemble regulators."

I understand the desire to save money by buying on line, because I do it . . . but I also generally expect to deal with whatever DISADVANTAGES come with doing that on my own. My shop owner is very polite about O2 cleaning tanks I've bought from someone else . . . but then again, HE's the one putting pure O2 into them :) Other than that, I put things together myself, and I don't use the local shop for fitting sessions and then buy on line. It just seems rude to me.

This seems like a pretty good price for a full set of entry-level gear. I'm not familiar with Mares gear, so I can't comment on the quality. I'd much rather see most divers get into a back-inflate BC than a jacket (my own personal opinion), and I don't like consoles very much, because I think they're clumsy and can make it more difficult for the diver to access information he needs to dive safely and comfortably, but that's also my own opinion. If you are comfortable with the idea that you may learn more by diving regularly, and decide to revisit some of your original equipment decisions, this may be a good choice.

I would not buy the package and show up to do your OW class in it, though. First off, it may (although it shouldn't) affect your relationship with the instructors and the shop, and second, you may learn something in the class that would change your decision as to what to buy. Take advantage of the fact that equipment rental is included in your price!

Tyler,

Many dive shops cannot survive on the proceeds from training. They hope you are going to buy all your gear and get all your servicing from them as well. Unfortunately, some cannot compete with the online stores. Because of the volume an online store sells, they tend to get better dealer pricing. In some cases, the price the online store sells for is lower than the dealer price for your local dive shop.

As someone who works at a local dive shop, I'd like to ask that you talk to your local dive shop and see if they are willing to price match or at least ask them what the best price they can give you. When you ask, remember that losing business to online stores might be a sensitive issue for them. You don't need to say you found a deal at Leisurepro but you can see if they are willing to price match.

Before I started working at my shop, I'd go in and ask if they can sell me X, Y and Z for $XXX dollars. They were smart enough to know if they said 'no' I'd buy the gear from someone else.

That's close but not quite true. It is true that there are anywhere from 2 to 4 different price levels that a dealer can generally work their way into based on the amount they purchase from a particular manufacturer, but in almost every single case, the MAP price and/or the MSRP price never changes no matter what. And in 100% of the case, this price is NEVER lower than any of the dealer cost prices at any level. And any dealer who says this, just simply isn't telling you the truth.

I come from the manufacturer end of the business before here. The pricing is structured to give the most fair playing field possible to ALL dealers. They can choose to or not to get the pricing structure they want. And granted some store might not do enough business in a particular brand, but where do they stand with their "favorite" brand?

In addition to the "LDS loyalty" thing, there is also the idea of renting, maybe even from a few different LDS's, for a while and trying different pieces of equipment out. That way you can see what kinds of things YOU like.

:zen:

Back
Top Bottom