First Post... and a question for you.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To be blunt Matagorda doesn't even make my list of dive spots I'd want to frequent and you don't mention much about a boat equipped to dive the rigs. Ask any diveboat owner about just the costs of owning/maintaining the boat - not to mention engine teardowns and compressor maintenance/overhaul - even expendables like filter cartridges and air certifications carry a cost. Not to mention you'll need a USCG certified Captain and crew - and expensive liability insurance - even with a waiver signed by the diver - heirs can and do sue. Price what 100million in liability insurance costs. Plus operating permits and licenses - esp. if you;re planning to offer spearfishing.

So I assume that's an extra cost. Access to tanks/air is of no value if it can be had on the boat also.

What diving can you do there off the property or nearby beaches? anything decent? If I'm personally going to the trouble to get there - I'd expect reefs, 50' or better vis and interesting fish life. I don't expect to find any of that in that area except at the rigs - which I'm familiar with as a friend dives them out of Galveston on his own boat.

How do you get there also - rent a car and drive 2 hrs. - from where? What's the nearest commercial airport - I'm not familiar with the area.

Make this concept work at a dive location with shore accesible reefs and people will be all over it.

SoCal - maybe the USVI's since the laws concerning property ownership are similar might be options. Of course as you know San Diego property values are a lot higher than Matagorda. Also you have to factor in any business license/tax related expenses associated with running a neighborhood business - as well as zoning restrictions. I'd bet money even if you could find a suitable property (and afford to own it) anywhere within view of the water in SoCal - the zoning wouldn't allow it - the neighbors would be unhappy with all the strangers coming/going.

my .02

Last edited:
You're gonna be in for a lot of money, even at one location, before it will even come close to breaking even. Real estate values vary wildly, but let's say $250,000 for the house, plus cost of compressor, plus cost of filters and maintenance on the compressor. Who are you going to pay to run and maintain the compressor? What about the gear? Who are you going to pay to take care of the house, do the laundry, clean the rooms? Who's responsible for building maintenance? What about licensing and zoning?

The idea is nice, but I think the cost/benefit is way out of whack. I don't think you'd ever be able to recoup your investment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom