First pool session on Monday...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are correct! That is a lot. I miss typed it should have been over 10,000...

You sure about that? I don't know many people with more than 1,000 certs let alone 10,000.

As long as he's reputable and you have a good relationship, then it's all good. Just think this number is way, way too high.

I am excited for you! I still think back to when I began OW classes. I was approaching 50 and was a bit concerned over my age but always wanted to dive. I am so glad I got certified. I just wish I did it about 30 years ago!!!

Happy diving!:D

Something doesn't seem right. Here is a guy that is basically losing money to certify divers, the number of divers he has cerified seems WAY off and he takes the medical forms after classroom and the swim test. I thought all of that had to be done before you begin the course.

I truly hope everything is perfect and works out for the best and I am just being paranoid.

B.

Greetings Beeracuda and welcome to Scuba Board! In my area a instructor through the YMCA is offering training that is very simular to what you are describing. One of the reasons it is less expensive is the YMCA usually owns the basic start up gear but I applaud the instructors desire to pass on the diving bug to new divers.
It sounds like you have been working to improve your physical health and that is awesome! Your doctor had to love the weight loss as well as your blood pressure.
Scuba encourages a healthy life style and keeps you active which can be a great way to stay fit. I would also encourage you to get involved with a local dive club to keep you in the water and teach you about your local dive scene.
When I started my diving journey I had no idea that in just three years I would be diving as much as I do now. It can be very habitual and have positive effects.
Have fun and very good to meet you! Welcome to the diving community!
Please keep us posted on your progress.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!:)

The 10,000 number does sound rather off. As TSandM pointed out, that's hundreds of certifications a year. If the average certification requires four dives, that's over 1000 dives a year, like three a day, every day, for many years. Possible I guess, but extremely unusual. Hopefully this is just a mis-communication and not a red flag.

On a different note:
Yep, I am getting old...hit 52 in October.
That's not old. There are several threads on ScubaBoard that indicate 52 might only be above average. Best wishes in your underwater endeavours.

Something doesn't seem right. Here is a guy that is basically losing money to certify divers, the number of divers he has cerified seems WAY off and he takes the medical forms after classroom and the swim test. I thought all of that had to be done before you begin the course.

I truly hope everything is perfect and works out for the best and I am just being paranoid.

B.

He does it because he enjoys it. I talked to several members of the local dive club, two of them instructors. They all said he was the best.

He gave us the medical forms the very first night and went over the contraindications on the back of the form. He told us that if we had any of those to go directly to the doctor and get them checked out. He also gave us contact information for DAN. I had none contraindications listed, so I turned in the form.

Later I got to thinking that I never listed my prescription drugs. I asked about this and he said that I should have listed them in the comments section. I did and after reviewing them, he wanted me to contact my doctor for a review before continuing. I take a beta blocker that can cause problems for some people. The doctor said it is no problem, so off we go tonight...

how come when i looked up diving @ ymca......it says that they have discontinued they scuba program:confused:
it closed in 2008 so how you taking this class?

He does it because he enjoys it. I talked to several members of the local dive club, two of them instructors. They all said he was the best.

He gave us the medical forms the very first night and went over the contraindications on the back of the form. He told us that if we had any of those to go directly to the doctor and get them checked out. He also gave us contact information for DAN. I had none contraindications listed, so I turned in the form.

Later I got to thinking that I never listed my prescription drugs. I asked about this and he said that I should have listed them in the comments section. I did and after reviewing them, he wanted me to contact my doctor for a review before continuing. I take a beta blocker that can cause problems for some people. The doctor said it is no problem, so off we go tonight...

I guess I am just being paranoid. Best of luck on your certification.

B.

how come when i looked up diving @ ymca......it says that they have discontinued they scuba program:confused:
it closed in 2008 so how you taking this class?

You are correct. The YMCA scuba program ended then. This is NAUI certification at the YMCA...

Back
Top Bottom