First Pics w/ XZ-1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beepbird

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Here are a couple of shots in scene underwater macro mode. No real adjustments. Internal flash. Shot in Maui.

Next lesson for me is to shot in custom or manual mode. After that will be the strobe.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Pink nudi1.jpg
    Pink nudi1.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 162
  • frog 1.jpg
    frog 1.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 151
Here are a couple of shots in scene underwater macro mode. No real adjustments. Internal flash. Shot in Maui.

Next lesson for me is to shot in custom or manual mode. After that will be the strobe.

Enjoy!

Looks like to me your flash went off for Nudibranch photo, but not for Frogfish. What part of Maui you diving in? I have been there a number of times. The backside of Molokini drift one of my favs as well as the cathedrals on Lanai.

Bruce

The nudi was in about 100 ft of water on the back wall "End of the world".
The frogfish was in about 60 ft ofwater on the St Anthony wreck.

Still learning about the camera, all shots were all in automatic mode. The small flash falls off quite fast.

This blue dragon was also on the back wall.

Attachments

• blue dragon.jpg
    blue dragon.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 158
The nudi was in about 100 ft of water on the back wall "End of the world".
The frogfish was in about 60 ft ofwater on the St Anthony wreck.

Still learning about the camera, all shots were all in automatic mode. The small flash falls off quite fast.

This blue dragon was also on the back wall.

wow, nice "end of the world" one of my favorite dives in Maui! Try shooting some some shots in A mode F5.6 with flash turned on in Macro mode and shutter priority (S mode at 1/500 of a second with flash turned on in Macro mode on for fast moving fish). Make sure you have the flash diffuser attached.

Bruce

Thanks for the tip!
I leave for Palm Beach a week from Friday:D. I'll try those settings on Blue Heron Bridge.

I don't know what the minnimum focus distance is for the XZ-1 but my recomendation would be to get closer.
Have a look at the photos posted by Decimal86.
When you shoot macro with a relativly wide angle lens you need to get very very close.

Last edited:
M setting, 1/160, F5.6 , Inon Z240 at Auto and yes one Inon UCL 167 M67. the autofocus on this baby is faster than my EPL-1, i was using both cameras and did not have time to experiment with M super macro with the focus light from my Inon for better color.

i find that using ambient lighting because of the distance to subject, the shadow cast by the housing is a big problem. will post soon.

and the other big problem with the XZ-1 is the fact that you need the camera to charge a second battery ?? but i guess the reply would be its 'industry standard dude!'

btw, beepbird, sorry if i have hijacked your post, i am here to learn more about this little beauty.

I was hoping for beginners tips for the XZ-1 without the Strobes and WAL. I had a C5050 but never graduated up to a strobe. Thanks for showing me the potential of this baby!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom