First open water dive today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LoulouB

New
Reaction score
Hello all! I'm new to the board and very new to diving. My son and I just started our NAUI OW certification process. Today is our first open dive and I'm finding myself having some anxiety. It's frustrating because I've always wanted to learn to dive and now I keep having to talk myself into not finding an excuse to back out. I've been reading some of the stories people have posted regarding their first dives and that has helped alleviate some of the anxiety. At least from what I've read, a lot of what I'm feeling is normal! Here's to hoping for a fun and safe first dive!

Clear your ears (equalize) often on the way down (and whenever needed), stay close to your guide, and enjoy!

I found in my first few dives I was so amped up about getting my gear together, hauling it to the entry point, putting it on, doing it all the right way in front of others, that my heart was actually pounding. This was before even getting in the water! S-l-o-o-o-o-w everything down. Take your time. Enjoy the process before...during...and after the dive. It's all part of the experience. Congratulations on becoming a diver!!

I found in my first few dives I was so amped up about getting my gear together, hauling it to the entry point, putting it on, doing it all the right way in front of others, that my heart was actually pounding. This was before even getting in the water! S-l-o-o-o-o-w everything down. Take your time. Enjoy the process before...during...and after the dive. It's all part of the experience. Congratulations on becoming a diver!!

That's all excellent advice, I appreciate it and will try and remember to relax!

I know it's hard to completely relax. I had been a "water" person my whole life and snorkelled doing some shallow free diving as it is now called, for 40 years. Yet I will say the thought of going to 20-30 feet of depth was something new -- and a bit of a concern, for whatever reason. Of course, you're breathing down there, which makes it all good and fun. The only thing is you never want to become complacent and assume the air will always be there. Treat every dive like it's the first, remember what you've learned. Anything strange happens stop, breathe, think and act. It's always a risk, but so is crossing the street. Once I was below like 15' I started to really enjoy it. Good luck.

I think most people get anxious as they begin the process, but you have a bit more stress having your son with you...since as a mom, you're likely also thinking about him.

When you get nervous or excited, your breathing speeds up & makes your body react. Taking deep, slow breaths as soon as you begin feeling a little nervous above or below the water can really help make sure your body knows it's ok. This is probably the number 1 thing you can do to calm yourself.

Happy diving and welcome to Scubaboard!

Thank you everyone for your encouragement and advice, it helped! I meant to post yesterday after the first day diving but I was EXHAUSTED! Between the stress, lugging the gear and lack of sleep the night before, I crashed! Today for our final dives I felt so much better going in. Ryan (my son) did fantastic and we got through it all! We are officially newbie open water certified! I can't wait to go diving again!!

Back
Top Bottom