First Ocean Dive - Key Largo - Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divingguy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My son, his friend, and I were able to get in two dives on Saturday before the weather got bad. Those were the first ocean dives for my son and I. WOW!!!!!
I have not even unpacked, but here is the quick trip report:
Lodging: Sheraton - overrated and overpriced. I will stay somewhere else next time.
Dive operator: Quiescence. Fantastic. Jeanine in the office and Captain Steve took excellent care of us. Truly very pleased with their services.
Dive sites: Elbow Reef, and City of Washington wreck.
Dive conditions: seas got up to 3 -4 feet by afternoon when wind kicked in. I got sea sick on the boat, and between dives. Took Bonine, but only 1 hour before dive per the package. Apparently supposed to take it night before. Water temp 71. Visibility - at least 50', and probably more. Compared to Texas lake diving it was phenomenal. Saw lots of different fish, and even a nurse shark. I needed 16 pounds of weight with a 5/4 fullsuit.
Overall, an excellent experience, and I can not wait to do it again!
I want to thank everyone on this Board who gave me tips and recommendations before we went. It was very helpful.

Tom

glad you had a good trip overall even though the weather wasn't cooperating!...now, here's some advice from a life-long- "chummer".....bonine don't work..same with dramamine, pressure bands, etc., etc., etc....some folks swear by triptone, although I personally have found it ineffective and hard to find on the shelves...take the time and money to get a script for "the patch", AKA Transderm Scopalamine....apply the patch at least 12 hours ahead of time(not the recommended 4 to 6), and take care of yourself in the 48 hours preceding your time on the water...i.e. eat relatively healthy, watch your booze consumption, and get some good sleep....2 caveats, very important....this does cause some drowsiness, more in some than in others...I would try it out on the surface a time or two if possible....don't want to become drowsy at depth, especially in conditions favorable to narcosis...secondly, they can and occasionally do wash off if not applied properly and monitored for adhesion...I'm sure others will chime in with their own suggestions, but after 25 years of trial and error(lots of error!), this has been the only consistent deterrent for me personally from the dreaded mal de mer....now that you are totally hooked on clear salt water diving, I'm sure that you will have your own trials and errors...just do what oyu can to keep the errors to a minimum...nothing worse than spending time and money to feel like sh!t

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom