First Ocean Dive Ever - Belize with Nurse Sharks & Eel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thejamez

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
2 years ago I got certified to dive in Phoenix AZ. As you guys all know, diving in a 50 degree murky lake wasn't exactly the best experience, so after much research and debate I headed off to Belize to get the real thing. I went with a Sealife Mini II (a big mistake, but it was cheap and better than nothing) and while most of the pics came out blurry and lifeless I did manage to get a few decent ones.

My first ever ocean dive.. the divemaster brought a tube of bait to attract things (a controversial practice I'm sure.. nobody else in Roatan/Cozumel did this) and it was nothing short of amazing for my first ever dive. Around 10 nurse sharks, a large (morray?) eel, sea turtles and a variety of groupers all showed up.

green-eel-5.jpg

green-eel-31.jpg

morray-eel1.jpg

green-eel-4.jpg

nurse-sharks-41.jpg

nurse-sharks-2.jpg

More pics, video of the eel freaking me out getting very close and biting a nurse shark on the gills? here Belize Scuba Diving

We did 3 total dives that first day... 2 days later I was 160 ft deep in the Blue hole :shocked2: .. no good pics from that though, too dark!

...the divemaster brought a tube of bait to attract things (a controversial practice I'm sure.. nobody else in Roatan/Cozumel did this) and it was nothing short of amazing for my first ever dive. Around 10 nurse sharks, a large (morray?) eel, sea turtles and a variety of groupers all showed up.
View attachment 144851

There is no controversy to this practice...if you want it to be acceptable you charge more for it.

If the dive operator charges 2X to 4X the regualr dive amount and places you in circle while he opens his "bait"...this is called a "Shark Dive". :cool3:

If the divemaster from a third world country on a normal dive trip opens his "bait"...this is called "Artifical Feeding". :no:

"What is the difference between Petrossian Royal Ossetra Caviar and Fireball Salmon Eggs fish bait?

Saks Fifth Avenuee sales the Cavier for $549 and Walmart sells the Fireballs for $5.49:rofl3:

Jamez...cool pictures and what a memorible first ocean dive.

There is no controversy to this practice...if you want it to be acceptable you charge more for it.

I think you're being sarcastic here? I really don't know. But I do remember reading that 'feeding' was supposedly responsible for the red sea (egypt) shark attacks, and they were blaming it for increased white shark attacks in Africa... and that it was pretty much banned or frowned upon? It def. made for a great dive!

Why were you at 160' in the Blue Hole?

Sounds like your first dive was to "Esmerelda". Congrats on the ocean dive. Several yrs ago Belize was also my first actual dive experience after getting my open water dives completed. That is my favorite dive site off Ambergris. My actual favorites of the trip were the sites we dove around the blue hole (was not overly impressed with blue hole_).

Why were you at 160' in the Blue Hole?

Because that's how deep the group went? Admittedly, it was probably not the best idea for someone with so little experience to be in the blue hole (and the dive shop had expressed doubt when we first arrived but took us anyway), I was low on air almost immediately... thankfully they had extra tanks ready to go.

Sounds like your first dive was to "Esmerelda". Congrats on the ocean dive. Several yrs ago Belize was also my first actual dive experience after getting my open water dives completed. That is my favorite dive site off Ambergris. My actual favorites of the trip were the sites we dove around the blue hole (was not overly impressed with blue hole_).
Honestly can't remember any of the dive sites names from that trip.. but I did see a lot more sea life near the beach at Ambergris than we did on the blue hole dives. Was also not super impressed with the hole, nor do I ever feel the need to be that deep again, but am happy to have the experience.

Hoping to get back to Belize this year and see what Placencia has to offer, and maybe, finally get some diving in with a whale shark :D

:headscratch: 160' on an AL 80? Did they do any gas planning with the divers or just drop some extra cylinders on a line?

It's auto-correct via Tapatalk 2, figure it out. :D

That may be how deep you went (160') and perhaps some other divers that also did not know how to properly control their depth but I can guarantee that was not the dive plan and if you could remember your briefing, you should realize that. Now having said all this, my first time in the BH found me at 165' before I caught hold of myself (much to my dismay) and I had more dives than you dId at the time of your BH dive. But again I must emphasize that the briefings and dive plan do NOT tell nor deliberately take anyone deeper than 130'. May I hope that you have learned from this experience as I did. Also, want to take this opportunity to point out that as a new diver that found themselves too deep in the BH it is no surprise that you took no enjoyment or sense of wonder from its uniqueness. Glad you enjoyed the Esmeralda site, though that moray eel was more aggressive than I have seen it before. Kinda scary, hunh? :)

That may be how deep you went (160') and perhaps some other divers that also did not know how to properly control their depth but I can guarantee that was not the dive plan and if you could remember your briefing, you should realize that. Now having said all this, my first time in the BH found me at 165' before I caught hold of myself (much to my dismay) and I had more dives than you dId at the time of your BH dive. But again I must emphasize that the briefings and dive plan do NOT tell nor deliberately take anyone deeper than 130'.

Yes - if I remember correctly our group of 20-25 was instructed that we would be going to around 130-140 ft. However, as with most dives I've been on, we ended up deeper. I simply went where the rest of the group did.. deeper and deeper. Nobody stopped until around 145, and then slowly pushed the limits. I never experienced the nitrogen narcosis, but I was feeling uncomfortable from the pressure during breathing and was constantly venting my mask. Yes - being in the hole was unique and I did enjoy it.. but to me personally the best diving is in clear water surrounded by sea life.. not in deep dark holes with low visibility :D (but I did enjoy a cenote in Mexico...).

Glad you enjoyed the Esmeralda site, though that moray eel was more aggressive than I have seen it before. Kinda scary, hunh? :)
Before we were in the water he never mentioned anything about eels.. and having never been near one in my life having it come straight at me was pretty scary in the moment. After the first pass, and seeing him petting it I relaxed and figured everything was fine :cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom