First night restaurant?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkpix

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We'll be getting to Bonaire for our first trip very soon now. Our flight is supposed to get there at about 7 pm, so by the time we get through customs and get situated in our cottage at Bamboo Bali, who knows what time it will be.

So, those of you in the know, where would you have your first meal? Take into consideration that we are desert rats and crave seafood. We're thinking maybe "It Rains Fishes" but don't know how far it is from where we are staying.

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Nothing is very far on Bonaire. It would take you less than 7 minutes to get to "It Rains Fishes" from Bamboo Bali. What night of the week are you arriving? That could make a difference because of various opening days. You are right that by the time you clear Immigration, gather luggage and check in it will be quite a bit later than 7pm. If it is not a Monday or Tuesday you might want to think about stopping at Pasa Bon Pizza as you pass by on your way to Bamboo Bali, put in your order and then return when you are settled into your lodgings. I know that on my first night I am always too tired to wait long for dinner and never want a large meal -- but that may not be you! Other options closer to BB than Fishes are Patagonia, Lion's Den at Buddy Dive or Rum Runners at Habitat. All on the water and all with fish on the menu.

Casablanca Bonaire

The best food that I had on the island.

Nothing is very far on Bonaire. It would take you less than 7 minutes to get to "It Rains Fishes" from Bamboo Bali. What night of the week are you arriving? That could make a difference because of various opening days. You are right that by the time you clear Immigration, gather luggage and check in it will be quite a bit later than 7pm. If it is not a Monday or Tuesday you might want to think about stopping at Pasa Bon Pizza as you pass by on your way to Bamboo Bali, put in your order and then return when you are settled into your lodgings. I know that on my first night I am always too tired to wait long for dinner and never want a large meal -- but that may not be you! Other options closer to BB than Fishes are Patagonia, Lion's Den at Buddy Dive or Rum Runners at Habitat. All on the water and all with fish on the menu.

I was going to suggest the exact Pasa Bon Pizza game plan.

Mostly because we have actually done this exact thing.

Casablanca Bonaire

The best food that I had on the island.

Not to hijack the thread, but we found Casablanca to have very ordinary food in an ordinary setting. We much preferred It Rains Fishes, La Guernica, and Cactus Blue. But each their own I guess, that's why Baskin Robbins has 30+ flavors!

Not to hijack the thread, but we found Casablanca to have very ordinary food in an ordinary setting. We much preferred It Rains Fishes, La Guernica, and Cactus Blue. But each their own I guess, that's why Baskin Robbins has 30+ flavors!
I also believe there's substantial variation in restaurant quality from night to night, week to week, or season to season. My first time at Casablanca was forgettable, but my second was wonderful. I've loved Cactus Blue on my two visits, but thought the management/owners were much more personable on the first. We had an incredible dinner at Patagonia our first time there, merely mediocre on the second. I loved my meal at Mona Lisa, she hated it. We both liked It Rains Fishes and La Guernica, and a host of other restaurants. You're right: that's why Lover's has 10 or so flavors - I like the tiramisu, she likes the blueberry cheesecake. But I really like their hot dogs!

If you are NOT arriving on a Saturday night, I also suggest Paradise Moon at Harbour Village, it is about 1000 meters south of Bamboo Bali. Patagonia is right next door to it.

Thanks for the info so far...I'm coming in on a Saturday night, hope the Insel flight is more or less on time. Never flown them before.

Had the best ribeye ever at Casablanca in April. But then again it is Argentinian beef not the chemical steroid fed stuff we got in the usa.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom