First Night Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think you should be worried about things trying to eat you. You probably have more chance of getting hit by a car on a sidewalk.

I did rescue scenarios at the surface above the USS Duane where several people saw a "huge" bull shark a few minutes prior. It was on my mind especially as my "victim" was splashing all over the place (which is said to attract sharks) but nothing happened...although I was looking down a lot during the whole thing hehe.

It's a wolf eel ... and although it's not exactly cute, it has the personality of a golden retriever. They're one of my favorite critters ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Oh my gosh!!!! :shocked: I got scared just even looking at that picture! ROFL! :) So you've never been bit by one?

I like the Golden Retriever analogy. I love your pictures! They always bring a smile to my face!

I don't think you should be worried about things trying to eat you. You probably have more chance of getting hit by a car on a sidewalk.

I did rescue scenarios at the surface above the USS Duane where several people saw a "huge" bull shark a few minutes prior. It was on my mind especially as my "victim" was splashing all over the place (which is said to attract sharks) but nothing happened...although I was looking down a lot during the whole thing hehe.

Lol...I would be looking down a lot too!

Oh my gosh!!!! :shocked: I got scared just even looking at that picture! ROFL! :) So you've never been bit by one?

I like the Golden Retriever analogy. I love your pictures! They always bring a smile to my face!

Thanks ... I've never been bitten by one, even though I interact with them frequently. My friend Peter Guy once almost got bitten ... but that's 'cuz she thought his white drygloves were a handful of squid ... and she looked very hungry.

Peter's dive buddies were highly amused watching him fend off an 8-foot long wolf eel with his scooter. She finally swam off, looking very disappointed that he refused to feed her those tasty squid ... :rofl3:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wolf eels...they'll bite your foot off...

Just kidding! They really are neat-looking critters with poor eyesight. In the San Diego area, a diver can reliably find them on the Hogan and the P-38 wrecks.

My first night dive was 1979. Pre-GPS. We went to the site (on the Juno Ledge) during day light and hooked off a ball festooned with lights. Found it after dark by dead reckoning. An experience I will never forget.

The daytime critters were sleeping and the night time guys were in their glory.

2 years ago I took my daughter's newly certified buddy for his first night dive. 17 or 18 at the time. His mother told me and my buddies she would F'ing kill us if anything happened to her boy. It was his 6th dive I think.

He was like a puppy rolling in poop the entire dive. He would lay down in the sand, like making snow angels, checking out every sleeping animal.

Then we went to the Brass Ring pub and the kid had to drive us home.

That's all I have to say about that.

Thanks for posting the video DaMa.

Below is a night dive video I took in Jupiter FL this past dive season (2010).

I do not night dive often and I noticed something on this dive that I had never noticed before.

Sea Creatures (not unlike humans) do not like someone shining BRIGHT LIGHTS in their eyes in the middle of the night. (go figure)

In fact, some of them became quite upset.

ps: if you look closely at the light beams you will notice what I call the difference between "white" light and "yellow" light. The white beam is being produced by an HID (high intensity discharge) canister light purchased from Dive Rite. The yellow light is a basic underwater flashlight from the UK company.

"White" light is produced by HID and LED dive lights regardless of manufacturer.

"Yellow" light is produced by halogen lamps ... which most divers will use because they're less expensive than HID or LED lights.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Very cool video Lee Taylor! :) I love all the colors, purple, blue, etc...that was awesome!

I did use the light in the eye trick when I did this dive. I'm not really a fan of catfish (though I'm starting to get more comfortable with them), so when that catfish turned from my buddy and headed my way, I thought "Don't come near me and touch me!" So I shined my light in his eye for a second to direct him away from me. :rofl3: He didn't really like it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom