First Night Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That makes total sense dumpsterDiver. I agree with you navigation is much harder in the night environment. I felt the day dive in this lake was also very difficult for navigation as it wasn't much different than this night dive. Isn't that weird?

Well it depends on the visibility pretty much. If it is clear, 40 or 150 ft+ visbility, you can look ahead to a landmark and navigate reasonably well by sight. If it is bad vis (or dark) it helps immensly to have a continuous visual reference. Pretty obvious, when you think about it.

I used to do long shore dives in Maine and could follow the contour of the shorline perfectly by simply eye balling the slope of the bottom (in the day). Get on the exact same spot at night that I dove 10 times before and would invariably get lost because at night, a moderate slope looks flat because you have no good perspective on the horizontal plain.

I don't mind too much scuba diving in 5-8 feet visibility if there is no current and i got something to follow.

Yeah makes sense. The vis during my day dive was 8'. During the night dive it was 12'.

I'm glad you had fun! I have become very fond of night diving, after having had a rather dubious start with it. Of course, diving at depth in Puget Sound is ALWAYS night diving! But a lot of the most interesting critters we have head out at night . . .

Unlike Kevin, I don't avoid diving with new buddies at night, but I think that's because I'm so familiar with the dark underwater environment, and with our local benign dive sites at night. Navigation is sometimes more challenging, but if you're accustomed to 10 feet of viz, diving at night when you can see 10 feet with your dive lights isn't much different.

Glad you had a good experience . . . AND you found out about something very important, powerful and wonderful -- the immense resources we have available to us through these boards. No matter where you go, there is almost always someone who is willing to meet up for a dive, and provide local knowledge and support.

What a great experience. You overcame fear and gained focus and had a positive experience.

Good for you!

Yeah makes sense. The vis during my day dive was 8'. During the night dive it was 12'.

Jen, get to the Keys please. The night dives at The Elbow average 70+ feet viz in 80+ degree water! :D

P.S. Do you dream in.... scuba too?

I'm glad you had fun! I have become very fond of night diving, after having had a rather dubious start with it. Of course, diving at depth in Puget Sound is ALWAYS night diving! But a lot of the most interesting critters we have head out at night . . .

Unlike Kevin, I don't avoid diving with new buddies at night, but I think that's because I'm so familiar with the dark underwater environment, and with our local benign dive sites at night. Navigation is sometimes more challenging, but if you're accustomed to 10 feet of viz, diving at night when you can see 10 feet with your dive lights isn't much different.

Glad you had a good experience . . . AND you found out about something very important, powerful and wonderful -- the immense resources we have available to us through these boards. No matter where you go, there is almost always someone who is willing to meet up for a dive, and provide local knowledge and support.

HUH??? I never said that... That was that bubble person.. Information that was ridiculous to me. Lynne I have dove with new people at every level and will continue to do so.

yeah.

It was the bubble guy.

FWIW, I love night diving. We do them here for the most part as drifts. Awesome to see the night shift on the reefs and wrecks.

Actually works out very well, because everybody is lit up. Further we tighten up the rules to keep everybody together. Actually quite relaxing and stress free.

Congrats Jeni. Make your way to SoFla. We have cookies.

Sorry, Kevin! I did think it was strange that a cave diver wouldn't dive with a new buddy at night :)

Sorry, Kevin! I did think it was strange that a cave diver wouldn't dive with a new buddy at night :)

That's better LOL. That would be strange.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom