First Night Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoccerJeni

Scuba Baby
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
In early November I told my friend I would never ever do a night dive. That it freaked me out and I was scared of what could be coming up behind me that I couldn't see and there could be big creatures that want to eat me. Now, here I am to tell you about my first night dive. :)

I had a very last minute trip to Austin this past week. Fortunately I've made some connections with some SB members, and one (Kevin Carlisle, thank you!) was able to connect me with someone to dive with in Austin. I contacted the person he suggested, Dominique, and she said she could meet me at 6pm that evening. I thought, oh crap, a night dive! Then thought, well what the heck, I just want to get in the water.

I had a ton of things go wrong before the dive and I was worried I would be stressed out entering the water and would make mistakes. However, I was able to get past everything that went wrong and relax...probably due to how good the girls were and how relaxed they were.

We walked down to the platforms and entered the water around 9pm. It was so beautiful with all the stars out and the moonlight shining so brightly on the water. I always thought I would be very nervous just being in the water at night. Previously I thought, the bigger things were out at night, they are going to want to come up to me and investigate, or what's underneath me or behind me going to get me. Thankfully while we were on the surface discussing our plans all those fears left my mind and I was focused on the dive. :)

We descended to a platform and spent some time just relaxing. I really appreciated that time to just get used to my environment. That time adjusting means all the world to me! It helps set up the rest of the dive.

Being in the water at night wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. Truly it was very similar to the last dive I did in the Lake at 92'. The water was black at night, but it was black at 92' also. So, luckily that was something I had already dealt with. As we left the first platform my Instructor dive buddy grabbed my arm and we descended together...with no visual reference! There was about 10-12' vis, and the rock bottom was not within sight. It wasn't far, but I was happy I kept myself calm with nothing in sight.

We followed the rock line and saw a few items sunk for divers to see. We also saw a few fish including a large catfish named Charlie who appeared to be interested in my buddy almost looking like he wanted to be pet. All the while, I was paying attention to my buoyancy and could really tell when something made me nervous as I would assend in the water. I would quickly think "slow down your breathing and relax, it's okay" and again I would descend. Several times I would need to assend or descend and I used my breath to do so...man that was fun!!!! :)

I did still have moments where my buoyancy was poor or a few moments I would wave my arms from feeling out of control...but all in all I was much better than I was the last dive, AND it was at night, AND it was cold (61 degrees), AND my vis was only 12'. So, overall I felt really good! It was a great experience, and it was so great to dive with 2 women who were so experienced in diving. I've never done that before.

Lessons to take from this dive: Some fears are mostly mental and can be overcome, being anxious in the water causes you to rise in the water, more practice in the water makes for better buoyancy, taking the time to adjust to your environment is important, it's smart to make connections with other divers as everyone seems to know someone somewhere, being in the water with the moonlight hitting the water is gorgeous, sometimes you end up doing things you say you'll never ever do!

P.S. I think a night dive in a lake is different than a night dive in the ocean and I'm still nervous about a night dive in the ocean...however, I could possibly be talked into one now. :)

Great report Jeni. I am so happy that worked out. I will be sure to thank my friend Dan again for the contacts he had.

Night diving is a lot of fun!

FYI, I'd be nervous doing a night dive as my first dive at a given site. I'll always do a day dive first which helps me identify the best way to enter/exit the water and potential hazards that I might not see at night. It's also one of my policies not to dive with any new buddies (regardless of prior experience) on a night dive.

Glad you had a good time, though. :D

Great report Jeni. I am so happy that worked out. I will be sure to thank my friend Dan again for the contacts he had.

Thanks Kevin! You're the best! :hugs:

Night diving is a lot of fun!

FYI, I'd be nervous doing a night dive as my first dive at a given site. I'll always do a day dive first which helps me identify the best way to enter/exit the water and potential hazards that I might not see at night. It's also one of my policies not to dive with any new buddies (regardless of prior experience) on a night dive.

Glad you had a good time, though. :D

I had been to this lake, but yeah not this site.

Why do you say you wouldn't do a night dive with any new buddies? Unfortunately for me, everyone's a new buddy. Lol.

Why do you say you wouldn't do a night dive with any new buddies? Unfortunately for me, everyone's a new buddy.
As you know, night diving is more difficult to do than diving during the day. Everyone needs a good enough light (and a backup light). Everyone needs to be on the same page in terms of communicating with dive lights. There's increased task-loading on descents and ascents (hold light, look at dive computer/depth gauge, keep an eye on buddy, dump air, etc.). There's less surface support for beach diving (lifeguards have gone home). Darkness makes it more difficult to identify and solve gear problems. Some people get freaked out by the dark and act irrationally. I like to dive with predictable people. A new buddy is an unknown quantity. Does he/she have weighting squared away? Are his/her regs in proper working order? Was that new mask cleaned properly? Can the diver clear a flooded mask easily? Did he/she remember to do comprehensive pre-dive checks on the rest of the gear? I prefer to keep an eyeball on the newbie while he/she is setting up the rig, and this is more difficult to do in the dark.

I say all of this...and, believe me, I really do like to dive with new people, particularly beginner divers. I do it on my terms, though. I'll select a dive site that's appropriate for the new buddy's training/experience -- novices (sandy bottom with no drop-offs, max depth 60 fsw), advanced divers (deeper, drop offs OK). If diving with novices, I make sure that the beginner has already done a dive during the day at that particular site. I see these "rules" as simply setting up the team for a successful dive.

Wait a minute...what's that sound?...Is that the sound of confidence building? Good for you!

BTW, when you do your night dive in the ocean, don't get too excited when a school of tarpon swim by you at blinding speed. They won't hurt you :D

As you know, night diving is more difficult to do than diving during the day. Everyone needs a good enough light (and a backup light). Everyone needs to be on the same page in terms of communicating with dive lights. There's increased task-loading on descents and ascents (hold light, look at dive computer/depth gauge, keep an eye on buddy, dump air, etc.). There's less surface support for beach diving (lifeguards have gone home). Darkness makes it more difficult to identify and solve gear problems. Some people get freaked out by the dark and act irrationally. I like to dive with predictable people. A new buddy is an unknown quantity. Does he/she have weighting squared away? Are his/her regs in proper working order? Was that new mask cleaned properly? Did he/she remember to do comprehensive pre-dive checks on the rest of the gear? I prefer to keep an eyeball on the newbie while he/she is setting up the rig, and this is more difficult to do in the dark.

I say all of this...and, believe me, I really do like to dive with new people, particularly beginner divers. I do it on my terms, though. I'll select a dive site that's appropriate for novices (sandy bottom with no drop-offs, max depth 60 fsw), and I make sure that the beginner has already done a dive during the day at that particular site. I see these "rules" as simply setting up the dive team for a successful dive.

Cool, I understand all those thoughts for sure. I was just curious what all was on your mind.

This was a pretty shallow dive, mostly hanging around 30ft. I did feel pretty good being with a dive master and an instructor. And I was very happy with the communication before the dive about everything including signals with our lights. These girls were great! I was actually more worried for them being with me...lol! :) But, thankfully it went great!

But, I've never thought about what you said, and I see your points. Thank you!

Nice trip report. It is cool to hear what the first dive is like from a novice.

It sounds like you are having more trouble with bouyancy at night. This is normal. It is much harder to judge slopes and identify the horizontal plain at night compared to the day.

Most likely, the reduced ability to judge depth and horizontal orientation at night, allows you to initially get a little out of neutral, while if this should happen in the day, you are more quickly aware of it and you address it instinctively and more easily.

Probably my most favorite part of night diving is the bioluminescence which only occurs in marine environments (99.9 % anyway). Kneeling on the bottom and watching the swirling bioluminescent plankton float by with your light off is very, very cool. It is trippy and I am envious of people who can experience it for the first few times.

when the dive gets boring,,, try doing it at night!

Wait a minute...what's that sound?...Is that the sound of confidence building? Good for you!

BTW, when you do your night dive in the ocean, don't get too excited when a school of tarpon swim by you at blinding speed. They won't hurt you :D

:outtahere: Augh! That's scary! Lol!

Thank you so much! :D

Also, one little piece of advice. It is very easy to get lost at night. Navigation is much harder. It is important that the new night diver be able to follow visual clues for most or all of the dive. Follow a clear ledge, a rope, a rock/snad interface, the edge of a jetty, etc. You will be moving slower at night and it is very reassuring to know that you are following some easily discernable feature and that you really are not "lost".

Back
Top Bottom