First Night Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My OW Instructor was Mark Barringer. We did our cert dives at the same quarry, so I am gaining a lot of familiarity with it. My dive buddy (who is currently going through DM training) is Michael Goodman (a member here at SB). Michael and I are Scout leaders, and he's taken the lead in getting a number of our Scouts certified. We plan to do a liveaboard Bahamas trip in 2012 for our Scouts. (We'd do it in 2011, but we're taking them to Philmont for backpacking.)

Just a quick OT: I'm glad to see there are still Scout troops out there doing adventure training. All the ones close to me are run by mothers who think they have Cubbies. I wish I could get back into it, but with my deployment schedule, it wouldn't be fair to the Scouts. Having a leader disappear for a year at a time doesn't work.

Great post! I did my first night dive at Dutch Springs in PA. It was a cloudy night and there was a pretty severe storm brewing in the distance. It was amazing because there was an occasional flash of lightning in the distance that would strobe in the water. It appeared as if it was getting closer so we started to ascend and then it started to pour. Nothing more freaky than the rain hitting the water as you looking up at it. I really did enjoy myself. Saw large groups of fish huddling under outcroppings on the limestone wall.

My only night dive was in Sharks Bay, Sharm El Sheikh

Great post. Like previous posters already mentioned, keeping it well inside your comfort zone is good for the first night dive. Also having confidence in your light(s) helps. Shameless plug for a great place to find dive lights: Scuba and Snorkel gear

My first night dive was actually the Manta Ray night dive in Kona. It was only my 10th dive after being certified - so I thought every night dive was going to be like that! The next night dive I did in Monterey was a bit of a let down... I set the bar too high for my first night dive experience I guess. By the way, if you ever have the chance to do the night dive in Kona with Manta Rays do not pass it up - I've since gone back to shoot video and it's still in my top 5 all time favorite dives.

have fun!

Back
Top Bottom