First New Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garmin descent mk1. Good for recreational diving with a light n clear display underwater. Its a decent daily watch if you are a fan of sports, running, jogging, golf, swimming.
I don't have a teric, which is cool, but some owners say the battery drain is more than mk1...

I popped in to recommend the Garmin as well. I've been diving with it for about 8 months now, and it's been phenomenal. Dig the fact that it uses GPS to show you (fairly precisely) where you started and ended your dives - drifts look cool! - and the fact that you can pretty much use it to record and monitor any activity you can think of - paddling, running, cycling, hiking, etc.. Even wear it day to day - just like a regular watch - which means there's one less 'thing' you have to take to the dive site / on vacation.

It does have Trimix and Tec capability. And, while not a Tec diver, I think I'm fairly certain I wouldn't use it in that capacity. Rather going with something a bit more dedicated for that purpose. But for recreational dives I think it's an awesome dive computer.

I was saving up to by the Teric and ran on to a great buy on the i770R that I couldn't pass up, so I purchased it. I have only used it on 15 dives but I love it so far, battery lasts much longer than I thought it would, and I can read it in direct sunlight even. The digital compass works very well. I didn't even need the manual to figure out how to set it up and use, very easy. This is my 10th computer and the best so far.

Like someone said earlier, it really depends on where you plan to take your diving career, but that said, the Perdix AI is a buy once, cry once computer. If I had to re-buy all of my gear, it's literally the only piece I wouldn't even think twice about getting again :)

I cried a little less and bought a 2nd hand Petrel 2 on ScubaBoard. Have had 10 dives with it and although it is not AI enabled, it is just right for me. My budget was for a middle of the road non-AI enables dive computer and I ended up with a terrific used non-AI enabled Shearwater. I treat it like a piece of gold. Enjoy the search as that is part of the fun.

I would recommend you to buy second hand because when you will eventually upgrade or change you can resell it for nearly the same price

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom