First New Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My GF and I just finished our certs. Now we are in the hunt for gear. The more I read the more I see new things. We have decided that we are waiting to buy BCD, Regs until we try a few brands and see what we like. The computer seems to be the first thing we want for sure. We are working in St.Croix for the next year. We live in Colorado. The reason i say this is that we live at 7k feet and the water is murky at best. We have only been diving in clear water so i feel we need a computer that you lights up well and that adjust to elevation rather easily. We are stuck between the Aqualung I770r and the Shearwater Teric. What are your thoughts?

There are a lot of threads on on this topic. I would suggest you search and read some of those, lots of good information if you are willing to sift for it.

You will also get a strong preference for Shearwater on this forum, largely because there are a lot of technical divers who prefer a technical capable computer.

What you really have to decide is what you need/want the computer to do. There are many capable computers in the 350 dollar range if all you intend to do is basic recreational diving. If you have higher ambitions then investing in a more expensive tech capable computer may be worthwhile.

I have a Teric and love it. The screen is extremely bright, even in the Murky lake water that I routinely dive in. The Teric is also very expandable or future proof. It is a fully functional dive computer that can be made Air Integrated with the addition of a 250-350 dollar Transmitter. Teric automatically accounts for elevation through its pressure sensor.

I’ve never used the Aqualung I770 but it has a good reputation. The biggest differences are the size (AL770 is larger) and the AL uses a propriety PZ+ algorithm rather than the Bulhman ZHL-16C. The PZ+ is based on the ZHL-16C but because it is proprietary very few know the underlying changes and that makes some folks uncomfortable.

You might also consider the Shearwater Perdix AI. Bigger screen than the Teric and costs less, like 935. So if the size is what you like about the 770 the perdix fits that bill.

I just used my new i770r for the first time in Cozumel for a week, and was very pleased with it. Power drain was low, enough that I have now bumped up the brightness level and times for future dives. It also may have finally (but partially) converted me from analog compass to digital.

My GF and I just finished our certs. Now we are in the hunt for gear. The more I read the more I see new things. We have decided that we are waiting to buy BCD, Regs until we try a few brands and see what we like. The computer seems to be the first thing we want for sure. We are working in St.Croix for the next year. We live in Colorado. The reason i say this is that we live at 7k feet and the water is murky at best. We have only been diving in clear water so i feel we need a computer that you lights up well and that adjust to elevation rather easily. We are stuck between the Aqualung I770r and the Shearwater Teric. What are your thoughts?

Im very new to diving. I bought a cheap suunto zoop novo and hated it. Very hard to navigate and a month later ill forget whatever I learned on using it.

Got sick of it and bought a perdix A.I. on sale after seeing that even a moron like me can operate it. It LITERALLY can be used by anyone without a manual. Que the people saying im gonna die by not reading the manual. Ive gone over the manual now btw but you dont need to.

I dont know about that 770 but i cant see any computer being as easy to use as the perdix. And the digital compass works better than most peoples analogs. I was just in 4 ft viz water at about 60 ft in monterey last weekend and my insta buddy could not use his compass so I took over lead with my perdix and away we go. Its got an amazing accurate compass. Ive heard some computers compasses are not that accurate??

The funniest part was this insta buddy had a teric so didnt need his analog compass and could have used the compass on the teric but I guess he didnt know how to use it. Teric has 4 buttons and some people say its harder to operate than the 2 button Perdix A.I. , Que the teric owners :)

perdix is bullet proof.

If you can find an older Suunto Zoop (not the Novo) then they are great starter computers. Easier to navigate than the Novo and reliable enough that they are the standard rental computer.

Would I love a Teric? You bet, but that's a lot of cheddar I can put towards other gear until I outgrow the Zoop.

You n get yourself a nice wrist non integrated computer for 150-200 bucks. I happen to really like the Mares Puck Pro. Great little computer.

Later when you are prepared to buy a nice expensive air integrated computer, you can keep the wrist computer as a nice little back up ( I always dive with 2 computers )

I think the Oceanic GEO 2 is a nifty little computer. Read and understand the manual and you're good to go. The GEO 2 is currently on sale for $269. at Amazon. You can buy three for what a single Perdix will cost you.
You'd think from Shearwater zealots that every other computer manufacturers' manuals are printed in Chinese. They're not. They just require the careful attention they deserve.

I'd recommend to rent dive computers as well. Usually the Zoop or ScubaPro Aladin are prime dealer rentals. Like the bcd and regs, renting a dc will give you an idea of what you are looking for.

After analyzing a dc purchase for a few months, I finally bought a used Shearwater Petrel 2. Used it last week down in Bonaire and wow. Personally I wouldn't buy a high end dc new, but sure glad I spent a $100 or so more on the used Petrel 2. Easy to use, bright, customizable, simple AA battery replacement and so on. This is an unpaid advertisement for Shearwater...lol

Garmin descent mk1. Good for recreational diving with a light n clear display underwater. Its a decent daily watch if you are a fan of sports, running, jogging, golf, swimming.
I don't have a teric, which is cool, but some owners say the battery drain is more than mk1...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom