First Meeting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarhead

Contributor
Reaction score
Tonight we had our first meeting to form a local dive club. We had about 16 divers present (there were several non-diving spouses which we encourage). We decided to go without dues as long as possible . We will be fairly informal, but did elect three officers (Skipper, Clerk & Trip Coordinator). We discussed/decided on a club name, but I've found three more with similar names since I've been home.
I've got several questions I want to throw out to the board for feedback:

1. Does a Trip Coordinator need to be a DiveMaster?
2. Do similar club names within a region (FL Panhandle) cause many problems?
(Example: New Club = Barracuda Dive Club (Smiths, AL);
Existing clubs = Gulfcoast Barracuda Dive Club (Pensacola, FL), KSC Barracuda Dive Club (Kennedy Space Center, FL) and Barracuda Divers (Cullman, AL).

Thanks,
Jarhead

There are lots of Barracuda Scuba Clubs. Maybe you could call yourselves the Alabama Baracuda Scuba Club. Canadian Force Base Petawawa's scuba club is also the Barracuda Scuba Club

The Crimson Cuda SCUBA club...

Just a suggestion

Hi, Jarhead!

I like Big t's notion! In the same vein, I would think that based on the fish in your neck of the woods (waters?), the need for some cleverness, and the need to be scuba-relevant that

"CATFISH HUNTERS"

might work for you guys and gals.

If Bear Bryant were still around, I guess you could call yourselves the

"BEAR-A-CUDAS",

though!

Or, maybe, the

"CRIMSON TIDERS"

Good luck!

Scorpionfish

Ok that was a terrible play on words ... :)

Here is the latin common group for Great Barracuda:

Common Names
Great barracuda, barracuda, barra, commerson's sea pike, short barracuda, alu, amerikanischer pfeilhecht, barkura, barrcouda, bicuda, chai, kadd, kucul, kupala, ono, picua, picuda, seraw, snoek, tenak, and zub-saalim

I like Great Barracuda Dive Club, but perhaps you could pull one from these other common names to avoid the name barracuda?

Jarhead once bubbled...
1. Does a Trip Coordinator need to be a DiveMaster?
Thanks,
Jarhead

No, they don't. A person can be a trip leader and not a dive leader. As Trip Coordinator, all that person needs to do is to plan and coordinate the trips and take care of the details. The trip leader, (can be the same person but doesn't have to be), will make sure there are no snafus on the trip...everyone gets the room they're supposed to, the dive op fulfills their end of the deal, take care of any complaints if they occur, etc.

I think as long as you distinquish your location, there shouldn't be a problem. Ex. Phenix Barracuda Scuba Club. One suggestion though from experience....Keep it short. A long name will be shortened out of convenience anyway. The above suggestion could easily become the Cuda Club or Cuda Divers.

Just my 2¢

Re; "1. Does a Trip Coordinator need to be a DiveMaster?"
In our club we have a position called DIC(Diver in charge). The DIC is different for every dive and each club member is encouraged to be one at one time or another. He or she does not need to be a DM. This is so one guy or gal doesn't get stuck doing it all the time and it gets club members more involved in the club.
Here is roughly how the process works. At our monthly meeting we discuss potential dives. When one is decided upon the club president asks for someone to volenteer to be DIC. Then a sign up sheet is passed around. A copy of the sign up sheet goes to our charter boat captain who is a member of the club so he knows how many divers to expect. The DIC gets the other copy. The DIC is responsible for doing a mailing/e-mail giving info on the dive. He or she also brings snacks and drinks for the surface interval. If the dive is at a location where don't normally travel to he or she may check the area out to find an appropriate meeting spot for after the dive.
In return the club picks up the DIC's charter fee's. We find this a good way to keep people involved, which intern is good for the club.

Good luck

Jim

Jarhead once bubbled...
Tonight we had our first meeting to form a local dive club. We had about 16 divers present (there were several non-diving spouses which we encourage). We decided to go without dues as long as possible . We will be fairly informal, but did elect three officers (Skipper, Clerk & Trip Coordinator). Thanks,
Jarhead

Without wanting to throw cold water on your club, have you considered liability/insurance issues. I belong to a small, not so local club, primarily to gain acces to a pool on a weekly basis during the cold weather season. Finding an insurance carrier, with a reasonable premium, was one of their major challenges.
As soon as a "club" organizes a dive, the club assumes liability for any injuries that may occur. If you are inincorporated and uninsured, you could face a substantial financial hit. At the very least, you'll want a membership form with a waiver of liability and have the form vetted by a good lawyer. You might reduce the risk, by requiring all members to carry dive insurance such as DAN.

All that aside, good luck with your venture.

Kent

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom