First lobster attempt tomorrow.

How ashamed will I be tomorrow?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have managed to catch lobsters on both coasts- not much differences in techniques for me -- always by hand.

It is often stated""90 per cent of the lobsters are caught by 10 percent of the divers" which has been verified every season

Diving for lobsters is a challenge for all who participate-- some like the OP go hap hazardly in to the briney brink with little or no preparation other than store bought equipment and great expectations which is fulfilled if they see a lobster and a huge success if the capture one

Then there are the semi professional 10 per center's who consider lobster diving an art as well as a science and have observed the lobster in its natural habitat studied its traits and habits , has keep records of location weather and successes and failures. Armed with well prepared tried and true equipment they are assured of success.

After reading the report it is evident that most are in the 90 percent bracket

SDM

Don't be discouraged. You've hunted on land with great success but were you successful from day one?
As others have mentioned it takes some practice. On the next day or so you'll read from people that landed 48-72 and more in their boat, some of them will be lamenting the limit was "only" 12 per person, that's not the norm. I can't wait to read from @Johnoly .
Now excluding the Keys (because that's a world on its own) most people in South Florida that aren't commercial fishermen or the ones that find a way to tip the scales to their favor with different shenanigans, probably got some lobsters but not necessarily a full bag. It doesn't mean they failed, only means they didn't get 12 each day.
I went out both days. First day with my husband and another 2 divers, second day just my husband and I. Ignoring the lobster numbers we had a blast, the seas were flat and pretty blue, the afternoon storms were gorgeous and perfect for cocktails on the deck after the dives, before transiting home, that made it a success, we weren't working or being a couch potato, we were diving during mini-season.

Lobster numbers? nowhere close to the limit, however I had enough to hold me over until the regular season starts. Just counting the lobsters I got both days.. a total of 6. For some of those I was solo, and took my sweet time to secure the flag with a reef hook first and then a minute or so talking to the lobster, when you tell the lobster what's about to happen helps you to fully calm down if you got excited, and confuses the lobster big time, I loved every second of it.

I also learned something that will have to figure how apply on the future, not just for lobstering but for diving or swimming from our boat in general ... material for another post when I figure out how to implement it.

You went out, dove, got some lobster, and came back up hopefully happy.. doesn't matter the rest of the details

By the way you didn't mention location and if you dive that area often.

The biggest deer I ever took was in the first hour, of my first hunt when I was 16 :) it set the bar and I didn't take another buck unless it was just as big, counting the rack alone. Body wise, that thing was a monster, never found another like it. Everything smaller I would place my shot, finger on the trigger and say 'bang'. I counted that as a successful hunt and let him grow up some.

My first elk took... 5 or 6 years :)

Antelope every year, easy animals to figure out and an easy hunt. Deer and elk, if they think you're on the same mountain leave the county. Antelope you can literally stand up and wave your tshirt above your head and it will cross hundreds of yards to see what you're doing. That's not a joke, I've done it.

I know I'll be calmer gong forward, I was just surprised how excited I was. It's been a looooong time since hunting was exciting.

I was in west Palm beach, 2nd time diving there 1st time on that boat/spot. It was fun, just wish the conditions had been better on the 2nd. We could have just played tourist instead of calling the dive.

Back
Top Bottom