first liveaboard - what to definitely take / not take?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BabyDuck:
what else does anyone suggest? what have y'all experienced with this kind of stuff wished you had or taken but wished you hadn't?
I second the notion of having lots of swimsuits. I usually take 5 and switch between every dive.

I'd recommend taking something for ear care after a dive. I haven't ever done that but after my last live-aboard trip I got a wicked case of swimmers' ear. One of the instructors I know recommended a 50/50 mixture of alcohol and Witch Hazel. That's what I'm going to start using.

I've done about 15 live-aboard trips and so far I've never needed:
  • A chainsaw
  • A dog collar
  • The lyrics to any Rodgers and Hamerstein song
  • A crock pot
  • jumper cables
Hope that helps.
Luke

well, that's good news. my show tunes song book is really really heavy... :D

though i'm hoping to find a use for the dog collar. :wink:

We were on two liveaboards in the last two years, Diversity in N.E. Austalia and Star Dancer in PNG. My list:

Batteries for camera & dive lights
Sperry Topsiders/ deckshoes
One sweatshirt or sweater
One long pants (the pair I took zip the legs off, so they can double for shorts)
Four swim suits (at five dives a day, you don't want diaper rash)
One teeshirt for each day
Sunglasses/suntan lotion/chapstick
A beanie to dive with (not necessary in the Bismark Sea 90F, but the Coral Sea was
77F at times) I had a 3mm body suit.
Clothespins for drying your wet swim suits
One large trash bag for wet items when you leave the liveabord or a "wet bag"
Meds like sudafed, asprin, sea sick meds
Dan ins. card, Nitrox card, C-card
At least two books to read.
Camera Equipment.

I take a lingerie dryer, something like this but the all plastic version - http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=77008&PRODID=68595

I can always find someplace in the cabin to hang it, great for drying a few bathing suits or other small stuff. Works better in the cabin near AC than it does in the bathroom where there's usually little air circulation. Also handy in a hotel bath when you're land based.

BabyDuck:
though i'm hoping to find a use for the dog collar. :wink:
I have got to start staying up past 9:00 on these trips.....
Luke

I'll definitely second the suggestion to take some ear stuff. I took an OTC ear preparation that's basically alcohol and mineral oil to clear the water clogs and I'm so glad I had the stuff.

We took our portable DVD player, movies, and headphones on our Nekton liveaboard last month. After dinner we didn't always feel like hanging out with everyone so many nights went back to our cabin and watched a movie before going to sleep.

We only took 2 swimsuits each, which worked out fine since we just changed at lunch between dives 2 and 3. The Nekton boats have a huge sun deck with a covered area that everyone hangs their wetsuits and wet swimsuits from, so everything dried really quickly in the warm air/sunshine and we never had to have wet clothes in our cabin.

Take at LEAST five swim suits. Never sit around in a wet suit. Many seats are upholstered and the other folks will NOT be amused by wet spots. And, you really don't want itchy butt or crotch rot......I just loop the suit through itself on the boat railing instead of using clothes pins. They will never be lost that way. Save the pins for the little things.

Babyduck--I was wondering how your liveaboard went and if you have any recommendations for the rest of us now that you have returned from your first liveaboard.

Did you have enough swimsuits :D

thanks for asking, mickey! i had a blast, and i had enough suits. :wink:

i didn't change suits during the day. they had lots & lots of towels so even though i brought one, i didn't need it. they had plenty of fresh water for rinsing, so i could rinse and dry & put some sweats or a fleece on. it was me, a married couple, and 7 single guys - poor me... the food was pretty dern good, the crew was interesting and willing to joke, the cabin was clean & set up well. alcohol was included! woo hoo!

the main thing i learned was USE LUGGAGE WITH WHEELS!!! god, toting that stahlsac got *really, really* old.

Back
Top Bottom