First Liveaboard -- what to consider and expect....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We didn't get a main deck cabin (got cabin #5 -- forward ensuite)
But you did get one of the two bigger ones...especially when they push the beds together.

What Wookie said...(not my video)

[youtubehq]Wdzv96WkYyI[/youtubehq]

WE'RE DOING IT! Found a GREAT deal we just couldn't refuse at Explorer (too good that i'm actually afraid of posting it until I get my full official confirmation!) Seems as though (thanks DiverSteve!) we got a 50% off discount to St Kitts/St Maarten (hopefully!) the week of our anniversary and right before hubby's bday, so really COOL!..QUOTE]

Congratulations! We've dived Saba off the Explorer and it was wonderful!

Saba is excellent diving. Lots of fish, lots of coral - can be a bit deep in places, (the reef starts at 100 + feet at some sites), but there are lots of excellent shallower sites to dive as well. Don't bother trying to dive at St Maartens when you are there, just take in some sites on the island if you have a chance. A great island to wander around on so so diving. Saba would not have been my first choice if your are a beginner diver as some of the best diving is quite deep, but one of the top diving spots in the Caribbean IMHO. Don't worry at all about being a newer diver, however. There are lots of sites that you will fall in love with that are really easy to dive.

- max dive time is "enforced", either 60 or 70 minutes - (but ... you can push the time limits a bit if you are the first ones in...)

I have never had a "max dive time" imposed upon me on any Aggressor, Dancer, or Explorer boat.

Regards,

Ray Purkis

Well Ray, maybe you aren't as good on air as giffenk. Heehee

Ray is pretty good on air.... He and his buddy were always pretty much first in and last up.

Hmmm, I had a 102 minute dive when on the Cayman Aggressor in August.

Ray is pretty good on air.... He and his buddy were always pretty much first in and last up.

Yes, Wookie, I was tongue in cheek.

Reactions: RJP
WE'RE DOING IT! Found a GREAT deal we just couldn't refuse at Explorer (too good that i'm actually afraid of posting it until I get my full official confirmation!) Seems as though (thanks DiverSteve!) we got a 50% off discount to St Kitts/St Maarten (hopefully!) the week of our anniversary and right before hubby's bday, so really COOL!...

Saba is really a beautiful and unique area, I am sure that you will have terrific time. Because you originally asked about seasickness I want to let you know that I did get sick on the crossing to Saba from St. Martin, but it was over within a day and the rest of the trip was great. My husband wasn't bothered at all on that trip and he has gotten queasy on a few trips.

Again my advice (based on nothing but personal experience and no guarantees) is to eat lightly on the day that you will board and avoid alcohol. Start taking your seasickness pills before boarding. Unpack your stuff while you are still in port so that you can get up into the fresh air as soon as possible after getting underway. Usually I head to the cabin to unpack our bags while my husband goes to the dive deck to unpack our gear.

Stay in the open air as much as possible and watch the horizon. If you are able to drink small sips of cold water that will help to keep you hydrated. Again, it never lasts very long and an Explorer liveaboard vacation to Saba is a great trip!

If any one else has advice for avoiding or minimizing seasickness, I would love to hear your suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom