First Liveaboard trip - what to take, what to leave behind, what to know?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been looking for a nitrox tester to bring with on my LOB - any recommendations? There are a few over at DGX that look interesting, but they seem kind of large to be dealing with regularly while diving. They have a really small one, but it requires you to use an app on your phone, which is not something I want to be fiddling around with on deck right before I get into the water. Chances of dropping the phone, getting it wet, or smashing it are too high.
Since it turns out that you’re going to be on the Okeanos II, no need. Your BCs and tanks will be placed in the pangas and stay there throughout the trip. The crew will fill and then analyze them while you watch from the dive deck. This avoids the guests having to make an extra 20+ climbs down into and out of the pangas and a possible trip ending injury, not to mention dropping the analyzers overboard. What you will need is a good sized SMB and the ability to deploy it. The panga drivers are very good at following the groups but some of the sites have strong currents and stuff happens. You will be given a Nautilus Lifeline to carry during the trip. Make sure you have room in a pocket for it, dangling ones can fall off and disappear. Sun protection will be important. All the dives are from the open pangas and some of the sites are 15+ minutes away plus the time you’re waiting for other divers to board, etc. Bring a hat or plan on keeping your hood on. A rain jacket to cut the wind on cool days will be good to have too. The crossing is 36 hours and occasionally rough. There will be seasick meds on the boat, but if It’s an issue for you you might want to bring your own. This is a trip where it will be important to follow the instructions of the DMs. There are sites where you will need to stay with your group for safety and others where swimming around instead of resting quietly in the rocks will simply scare away the hammerheads, who are quite shy.

Since it turns out that you’re going to be on the Okeanos II, no need. Your BC and tanks will be placed in the pangas and stay there throughout the trip. The crew will fill and then analyze them while you watch from the dive deck. This avoids the guests having to make an extra 20+ climbs down into and out of the pangas and a possible trip ending injury, not to mention dropping the analyzers overboard. What you will need is a good sized SMB and the ability to deploy it. The panga drivers are very good at following the groups but some of the sites have strong currents and stuff happens. You will be given a Nautilus Lifeline to carry during the trip. Make sure you have room in a pocket for it, dangling ones can fall off and disappear. Sun protection will be important. All the dives are from the open pangas and some of the sites are 15+ minutes away plus the time you’re waiting for other divers to board, etc. Bring a hat or plan on keeping your hood on. A rain jacket to cut the wind on cool days will be good to have too. The crossing is 36 hours and occasionally rough. There will be seasick meds on the boat, but if It’s an issue for you you might want to bring your own. This is a trip where it will be important to follow the instructions of the DMs. There are sites where you will need to stay with your group for safety and others where swimming around instead of resting quietly in the rocks will simply scare away the hammerheads, who are quite shy.

Have you been on this trip before? I've been reading that some people say I'll need 5mm, plus a hood and a secondary sharkskin layer underneath, but then I see 80 degrees in August, and I wonder if people are just running cold, or if its thermoclines and upswells or maybe the time of year that they were there.

Last year was a strong El Nino and much warmer than usual. I took my 3mm and was fine except for a couple of thermoclines. Previous trips were definitely 5mm territory, with a hooded vest for backup. Even though you won’t be doing 5 dives daily like the Caribbean trips, the cold can sneak up on you over the course of the week. I’d keep an eye on the water temps as your trip approaches to see if they’re reverting to normal and decide then.

I wonder why the Adventure Logs for the Okeanos II are so far out of date, nothing since last October. The Adventure Logs for the Cocos Island Aggressor appear to be up to date. Current water temp is said to be 82.

EDIT: I heard back from Aggressor immediately after sending them an email. Okeanos Aggressor II was in dry dock December-March. Sounds like it may be in good shape for this spring.

Last year was a strong El Nino and much warmer than usual. I took my 3mm and was fine except for a couple of thermoclines. Previous trips were definitely 5mm territory, with a hooded vest for backup. Even though you won’t be doing 5 dives daily like the Caribbean trips, the cold can sneak up on you over the course of the week. I’d keep an eye on the water temps as your trip approaches to see if they’re reverting to normal and decide then.
Thanks! I've only got a 3mm and a 7mm wet right now. I also have a 7mm shorty with a built-in hood, so I might need to get some more neoprene, unless I get comfy with a dry suit in time.

You realize you're directing a question to an 11-year-old post?
Aha - but I am still diving. Watertight baggy with roll-over top. Try looking at camping gear. some are heavy duty plastic, mine are thin waterproof nylon, weigh next to nothing. I just Googled camping nylon dry bag, and also camping watertight nylon baggy and I got plenty of hits.

Micropore tape. Technically for sticking dressings to bodies but amazingly good for wrapping round the necks of leaking containers, or containers that didn't use to leak. I took deodorant (liquid) - and had it explode in the luggage. If only I'd wrapped it's neck in mpore tape and put it in a watertight baggy in the luggage.

Wire twizzles - those bits of wire coated in plastic that are essential for doing up plastic bags and tying things together without the permanence of a ziptie. Useful to provide hanging loops for things in the cabin/bathroom. Look Mum - the zips on my luggage haven't come undone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom