First Liveaboard Trip - What I Learned...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To minimize the creation of additional antibiotic resistant strains, antibiotics should only be taken after evaluation of a particular infection by a physician who determines that it is caused by bacteria that is likely to be responsive to a specific antibiotic.
This is great advice, of course. In the context of, say, a three week trek through the Sepik Highlands in PNG however, self diagnosing and administering broad spectrum antibiotics may be the only reasonable alternative to an early demise.

was that a per bag weight limit or total per person and did they include carry on which I imagine weren’t really carry on in a small plane?

Total weight per person including carry ons is 20 kgs.

The irony of the situation (and one of my pet peeves), is that they didn't have enough large BCDs on the boat. So the crew brought along some old ones that the rented from another company on the plane!

When people say bring a "suit" for every dive of the day some are talking about bathing suits and some are talking about wetsuits. I find I do pretty well on a liveaboard with 3 bathing suits ( I have bathing suits that dry pretty quickly) and alternating between 2 wetsuits. 5 wetsuits, even thin ones, would take a bit too much room in the luggage! Getting stuff dryish on a boat as long as it's warm and sunny is generally pretty easy.

Yes, I meant bathing/swimsuits, not wetsuits. That would be overkill.

One more tip:

Look into a custom mouthpiece for your reg. That tiny jaw ache you get after diving twice a day for two days is going to be wildly compounded on the liveaboard.

Personally, I went with a Seacure and it was the second day of diving before I even thought about it. It really works well. I just quit noticing any jaw fatigue at all.

-Charles

One more tip:

Look into a custom mouthpiece for your reg. That tiny jaw ache you get after diving twice a day for two days is going to be wildly compounded on the liveaboard.

Personally, I went with a Seacure and it was the second day of diving before I even thought about it. It really works well. I just quit noticing any jaw fatigue at all.

-Charles

I too bought Secure before my last liveaboard and was very happy I did. Also I took creme for diaper rash as even though I changed my suit, (I had 4 of them) I got rashed out and the creme worked very well torwards the end of the trip. Diving 5 times a day is alot.
Also, we always take duct tape, I haven't tried the sock thing, great suggestion.

Before each dive, take a photo of the briefing whiteboard. It'll show the site name, depth, and most likely the route through.:"

Total weight per person including carry ons is 20 kgs.

The irony of the situation (and one of my pet peeves), is that they didn't have enough large BCDs on the boat. So the crew brought along some old ones that the rented from another company on the plane!

Thats like 45 pounds, My camera gear in its case weighs almost that much! Frankly I thik thats BS if I shell out that kind of money for a trip like that I am not going to half ass it by using crap rented gear. They should be able to come up with a work around.

Here's another one I forgot to mention earlier. You're going to be making 4 or 5 dives a day and taking a LOT of photos. It's going to be impossible to remember where you were each time. Here's what I do:

- Before each dive, take a photo of the briefing whiteboard. It'll show the site name, depth, and most likely the route through.

When you download your photos to your computer, each section of photos will be preceded by a photo of the whiteboard indicating the site name.

-Charles

I know I'm responding to an older post, but I love the idea! Quite a brilliant one. I will most certainly do this on my next trip - Aquacat Feb 16/2013.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom