First Liveaboard (Blackbeards) - What to expect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well me and my friend are leaving for our Blackbeards trip this weekend. We are really jacked!! This will be our first livaboard and her first ocean dive. She just got her AOW having only done checkout dives and bought a dive shop full of equipment.haha God bless her I think she said she even got one of those strobe/yoke lights! She is really geeking out. She asked about my dive knife if I was bringing one. I told her yes but I think I will duct tape a silver butter knife to my leg when we get ready just to mess with her.haha Thanks everyone for all your advice and I will be sure to post a Trip Report as soon as I get back home. Also I think I will take a load of pics of the galley,bunks,bathroom ect. Its seems everyone is always asking about size and condition of living quarters ect. They say a picture is worth a thousand words and hopefully they will save all of you from having to keep answering the same question from all of us!!!

Looking forward to seeing how those photos turn out. Should be good if you have a good lens on your camera. Interior boat pictures in general aren't worth a thousand words as the spaces are small enough that you can't get a good impression as to the size of an area because you can't get back far enough to get a wide enough shot.

Have a good trip!

Interior boat pictures in general aren't worth a thousand words as the spaces are small enough that you can't get a good impression as to the size of an area because you can't get back far enough to get a wide enough shot.

I agree. Before my trip, I saw shots of the bunks, one of the heads, the galley, the salon, etc. Some of the spaces felt a lot bigger than the pictures suggested, some felt much smaller. As well, some spaces felt larger/smaller based on the situation. eg, the bunks feel larger when you're sleeping/relaxing in them than when you're looking for something in them, and the head feels MUCH smaller when the boat starts to rock when you're already in in than it did when the boat wasn't rocking. That is seriously not the place you want to be when the boat starts to rock. :shakehead:

Leaving next week and I swear it cannot come quick enough!!! Hey I am packing my gear and I had a question does Blackeards supply mask defog or do I need to pick some up?

yes the boat does supply some. its in the back of the boat by the mask rinse.

Pirates Lady.

Kingsley Zissou (a.k.a. Rod)

Hi Rachel! We had so much fun with you guys. Can't wait to do it again :D

Is there a "best" time of year for the Blackbeard's cruise? Or a time to definitely avoid? Mostly thinking of weather.

Reply to UW Soujourner:
We went on the Morning Star with Captain Greyson in August 2010. This time period was still considered within Hurricane season. Oddly enough we were also told that his was when the ocean was calm. We only encountered one night (partial) of bad weather. We had a great time. This is like camping at sea. The quarters are a bit cramped. The food is good and the diving is spectacular. For the price, this trip can't be beat. (Through the Exuma's)

Bob in Arkansas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom