First Liveaboard (Blackbeards) - What to expect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone gone in the winter months? I'm headed on a cruise in February and was curious to know the conditions down there. I expect the water to be cold (for the Bahamas anyway). Also, seasickness? Has anyone experienced it on Blackbeard's?

Has anyone gone in the winter months? I'm headed on a cruise in February and was curious to know the conditions down there. I expect the water to be cold (for the Bahamas anyway). Also, seasickness? Has anyone experienced it on Blackbeard's?

it is a small sailboat, it is going to rock some even in calm water... I haven't been on it, but friends who have said there are always people onboard who are seasick, some worse than others. Most of them said they would never do it again, for that reason.

Can you charge batteries on the boat?

It's my understanding they have standard 110v/60Hz power on board (US plugs) but that you should bring your own power strip and maybe a short extension cord.

I've also read other reports that are critical of the power situation on BB's, but I got the latest answer ("yes, power is available but bring your own power strip") from a gentleman who has shot often on their boats for Two Tanked Productions.

You might want to plan to charge and work on your rig down in the galley area.

I'd love to see more on this from folks who have been on these boats with their cameras. I speak only from hearsay (until May 2011, that is!!)

bk

It's my understanding they have standard 110v/60Hz power on board (US plugs) but that you should bring your own power strip and maybe a short extension cord.

I've also read other reports that are critical of the power situation on BB's, but I got the latest answer ("yes, power is available but bring your own power strip") from a gentleman who has shot often on their boats for Two Tanked Productions.

You might want to plan to charge and work on your rig down in the galley area.

I'd love to see more on this from folks who have been on these boats with their cameras. I speak only from hearsay (until May 2011, that is!!)

bk

It is no problem to charge gear aboard Blackbeard's, and it is U.S. power supply/outlets. There are outlets in the ceiling near the shelves at the foot of the bunks, and there are outlets at the end of the "picnic table" in the main salon. However, you should be mindful of meal times and not have gear on the table then. I used the ceiling outlets, and just placed my gear on the bunk shelve while charging. I only had a couple pieces of gear that needed charging, so I did not bring a power strip, but if you have several items, you might want to bring one. And yes, I would definitely plan on charging/working on your rig below deck.

I've been out with Blackbeard's probably a half-dozen times now, and it's a blast! Last year, I introduced my then 14-year old son to Blackbeard's, and he put in his request for a return trip before we even boarded our flight home. He still refers to the trip as the best week of his life. Have fun!

Also, seasickness? Has anyone experienced it on Blackbeard's?

it is a small sailboat, it is going to rock some even in calm water... I haven't been on it, but friends who have said there are always people onboard who are seasick, some worse than others. Most of them said they would never do it again, for that reason.

When I was there, I was the seasick one, though with the exception of one rough, stormy afternoon, I consider it mild, or at least it should have been. I quite often have a bit of an upset stomach in the morning, and combined with the rough afternoon, another passenger offered me one of the medicated patches they had. It was way too strong and made the feeling much worse; put it on one morning and almost couldn't get out of bed the next (rolling over made me feel sick). Shortly after I made it up on deck, a chat with the captain resulted in ginger pills getting brought out and the patch getting taken off. Much better. If you're prone to it, know what you need and what works for you.

On the flipside, the crew was very good about helping me with it, offering tips and bringing out crackers.

I'll definitely go again, I'll just be more vigilant about meds next time.

I would also go with the ginger pills. The regular meds make me sick, so it is a no win situation but the ginger pills seemed to "lessen" the blow. Our trip was decidedly more rocky than some (tropical storm etc), and I don't think we ever saw any water that could be described as glass :wink: That being said I didn't puke and by all rights I should have been feeding fish for days.

BTW, there are alcoholic drinks available, but the rule is you drink, your day is done. It is somewhat up to you as no one is there babying you, so be an adult about it.

The trip is a blast and I recommend it highly.

just got back from my first blackbeard's trip, which was also my first liveaboard. this thread was invaluable, and most of the advice was useful. Main things:

1) Take 1/4th of the clothes you would think you need
2) lots of sunscreen
3) either take seasickness meds if you are prone to it, OR just get up and start talking and making friends - i found the latter worked best for me :)
4) Great food, GREAT MUFFINS after the morning dive!!
5) Fishing was good, but not special - but its a dive trip, and the diving was definitely special.
6) either take a book, or be prepared to talk a lot - there isnt much else to do on the boat
7) clothes pins are provided - i took some of mine in any case, but they were no way strong enough to hold onto a wet wetsuit when the sea winds are blowing - if you are taking your own, buy some heavy duty ones, not the small wooden ones.

Apart from that, it was truly a fantastic trip - the diving is excellent, the Blue Hole and drift dives are works of art, and the crew is fun. WOuld do it again in a heartbeat.

My experience is seasickness is somewhat mental, such as mentioned above as in, keep busy and don't think about and you will avoid it. I take Bonine and take one every day before I get up, first thing. Then stay cognizant of not sitting where you watch the horizon bobbing, stay looking inside the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom