First live aboard pointers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Makes you racist as well apparently....

correction ‘may make you a racist as well according to Roseanne’

I had NO desire to test the boat's "Man Overboard" procedures firsthand.

A number of sleep aids have picked up such warnings. A little quick Googling found this blurb from Advisory.com: (Note: I think the bolding is due to my search terms, not the article)

"The black box warning is the strongest warning that FDA can issue. The warning applies to sleep-aide drugs that contain eszopiclone, zaleplon, or zolpidem, which are the active ingredients in Lunesta, Sonata, and Ambien, respectively. Other name-brand sleep aids are affected by the warning as well."

Be aware some really uncommon side-effect reports can drive FDA warnings. But again, it's one of those 'Your neck, your choice' decisions to make.

A number of sleep aids have picked up such warnings. A little quick Googling found this blurb from Advisory.com:

"The black box warning is the strongest warning that FDA can issue. The warning applies to sleep-aide drugs that contain eszopiclone, zaleplon, or zolpidem, which are the active ingredients in Lunesta, Sonata, and Ambien, respectively. Other name-brand sleep aids are affected by the warning as well."

Be aware some really uncommon side-effect reports can drive FDA warnings. But again, it's one of those 'Your neck, your choice' decisions to make.
I simply wasn't comfortable with the "Risk v Reward" on taking it. Probably OK but it was one of those cases where if you are "that one person" who experiences that particular side effect then things can turn bad in a hurry.

Makes you racist as well apparently....
Given that your comment follows my comment about problems sleeping, I have to assume that you are responding to me. What exactly about my comment makes me a racist?

I simply wasn't comfortable with the "Risk v Reward" on taking it.

And there you have it, the choice we all make. From the page I linked, it's noted "The latest warning is based on an FDA safety review of 66 cases reported to the FDA Adverse Event Reporting System or noted in medical literature between 1992 and 2018. The cases involved patients exhibiting unconscious behavior after taking the drugs accidental overdoses, car accidents, suicide attempts, near drownings, falls, and other incidents, according to FDA. In 20 of the 66 cases, unconscious behavior led to death, the agency said. In most cases, the patients had no recollection of their unconscious behavior, making the overall risk unknown, FDA said."

So, 66 cases, 20 fatalities, and those weren't all from Ambien, which has been on the market a long time (initial U.S. approval in 1992) and has been used in a doubtless huge number of people.

That said, I am in no way endorsing prescription sleep aid use in divers. I'm just following through to illustrate that approved medications usually have a laundry list of potential side-effects that sound scary if you dig into them.

Given that your comment follows my comment about problems sleeping, I have to assume that you are responding to me.

He may've been talking about the Roseanne Barr controversy, claiming it played a role in some Tweets she made.

Exactly what I was referring to...:)

but I can see how you misunderstood....apologies for the shock...a wise man once said:

Anything that I say in this forum is purely my opinion. Take it with the proverbial grain of salt and do not take it as an absolute fact.

Exactly what I was referring to...:)

but I can see how you misunderstood....apologies for the shock...a wise man once said:

Anything that I say in this forum is purely my opinion. Take it with the proverbial grain of salt and do not take it as an absolute fact.
No worries. LOL on the quote.

Odds and Ends

Monkey butt, chafing and other skin irritations - Triple Paste is the best stuff. Invented for diaper rash, but works for everyone. Available in TSA-compliant tube. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00191QBM0

Bathing Suits - I use shorter inseam running shorts. These are light, take up no space in your bag and dry fast. They are also lined so you can skip the underwear if you pack extra pairs to wear between dives. The lining is also handy for tying them to a railing to dry (see photo). All in all, a much better option than board shorts. The best option would be Speedos, but it's been a lot of years and pounds since my swim team days :)

Sleep aid - try a white noise generator app on your phone. I keep it on my mattress next to the pillow so I can keep the volume low enough that any roommates can't hear it. The key is to use it at home first. I like either of the heavy rain settings on White Noise Lite for my Android phone. This is another thing I discovered after my son was born. We even used to travel with a mechanical white noise generator to help him sleep in the pre-app days.

Finally, if you've ever had allergies or allergic skin reactions to anything bring some Benadryl tablets. And maybe talk to your doctor about getting a prescription for a short course of steroids or something to take if you get an allergic rash. I learned this the hard way, with a few days of absolutely miserable itching. For some reason, it didn't itch in the water, so I kept diving :)

IMG_20191104_225915.jpg

I’ve never had ‘monkey butt’ diving....I can only assume it’s because I wear Lycra saxxx shorts under my wetsuit. I’m guessing you need something that is very tight fitting.

you will need to stow your modesty...but honestly, no one could give a hoot on a liveaboard. It’s basically like being in the army/boarding school/sharing a bathroom with a sibling..

Back
Top Bottom