First lesson today, now I'm freaking out! Some questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the "vest" (BC):

1) They come in different sizes.

2) If they had integrated weighting, then there is a good chance your weight requirement would not the the same as your classmate's. Hence, you both would have been weighted wrong.

I am a newer diver myself, and it took me a while to get rolling, so please don't take this wrong; but it sounds like -- in addition to not enough pool time -- you have really not got enough dive theory (i.e. "book learning") yet. I say that because you don't sound very clear on weighting, for example, in addition to how things such as equalizing, mask pressure, and lung expansion work. I don't say this to blame you or diminish your aptitude; but only to say that I think you should put some more time into the book/class learning.

Don't give up though; I think it's confusing to many people at first, and many of them go on to be great divers!

Blue Sparkle

Last edited:
Puchinita, you've got lots of good advice on this thread. If you want to dive, every concern you have is addressable with time and patience. I hope your instructor is open to and supportive of your concerns, though it sounds like that might not be the case. If you express these concerns and don't find your instructor going out of his/her way to make sure you have all the support/practice you need before moving forward, I hope you'll look for a different instructor. There is no reason to feel this level of anxiety in training -- it just means things need to get slowed down a bit and you need more time to get comfortable where you are before moving on. Trust your instincts -- if you don't feel ready, you're not. Get what you need so that you do feel ready.

Happy diving! :)

Puchinita,

I would nearly demand the extra pool time, you paid for it after all, and feeling comfortable in the water increases the enjoyment of this wonderful sport.

Blue Sparkle, you are exactly right! Our first class session was yesterday and yesterday was when I received my learning materials. So the only "dive theory" I knew was what they discussed in our 3 hour class yesterday. We were given our materials and rented our scuba gear the day before our pool lesson. I definitely would have preferred to have studied the material BEFORE the dive lesson.

I think the instructors are very nice and helpful, I just felt the class size was too big. I would have liked it to be more one on one. There was about 15 people in the class and 2 instructors. Maybe that is normal? But I would have liked a class size of 5 or less. I don't think it was so much the instructor's fault but that I can be very shy have a little bit of trouble speaking up in situations... And I already felt bad in that they had to go over things with me privately after they had already gone over it with everyone else because I was the only one not getting it right away (which made me feel like an idiot! LOL). So i felt really reluctant to bother them every time I felt I wasn't doing something right. And I went to the class alone, so that made it a little overwhelming for me also.

But I took all your guy's advice and emailed the instructor asking for more pool time. Hopefully with some more practice (and studying) my nerves will calm down and I can just enjoy it!

Puchinita5,

Good call on the extra pool session. this is supposed to be fun and you have a whole lifetime ahead of you. Don't let a jumpy instructor spoil your fun. It may mean getting in with the next class but that's OK.

Don't set your self up for disappointment, you probably won't be diving like a pro for a little while. When you do your check-out dives it's OK to be anxious and maybe a little concerned about a skill or 2. Your should not be afraid, terrified, mortified or feel the need to buy extra life insurance. Your OW certification is your ticket to continued practice and refinement.

The fact that you wonder if switching BCs may make a difference speaks volumes. Obliviously nothing resembling a proper weight check was done nor were you taught how to access your weighting. This may be a good primer on the topic. To your question, it could make a dramatic difference. Fit of the BC and correct weighting are probably the 2 most sensitive configuration topics.

If your nose is sensitive to water you want to get past this PDQ. I will guess that you have not been much of a snorkeler and a wet face is very new to you. In this little downtime I suggest you get in the water and do some skin-diving. This can jump start your scuba development in countless ways. More on that can be read here.

Dive gear is heavy but most learn to deal with it. Some of it is strength you develop. Some will be learning body mechanics and you use a metaphor you relate to learning the dance steps. Some can gear up and go. Others get gear near the water in stages and don it close to the entry. You will figure out what works for you.

If you accidentally take in some water while diving then just cough into the regulator until you get past it.

Worried about holding your breath? Well keep breathing.... Seriously, relax and pay attention for a while. before long you will be comfortable with the whole thing.

Bad buoyancy? Well without a meaningful weight session I would expect that. Work with someone to sort out your weights and then you will be able to work on the skill part. Also a pool is a very challenging dive. Buoyancy changes fast in the shallows and there is a lot of turbulence and interference from other divers. This express class will only do so much for you. You can always find a mentor, DM or other instructor to help polish things if you're not finding your way. I would rather have you say you suck than be like some others that do suck but think they have it down pat.

Just relax on the mouthpiece. It may be that the mouthpiece, hose length or tank/regulator position were a bad fit for you. You can fine tune that when you get your own stuff. Your have been practicing regulator removal, retrieval and replacement so what's the worst that can happen?

I do think that you are over thinking things a bit but some of us are just that way. The OW course will not turn out a polished diver. The checkout dives often contain significant learning or at least refinement. They should not include any tricks you have not already done. Take it at a pace that works for you but don't get analysis paralysis. You have composed very concise and coherent messages regarding your concerns so it's clear that lesser mortals have mastered this sport and you can too.

Prior to learning to dive a diver friend told me that "learning to dive is nothing like actually scuba diving. He was right. Once you get past all of the disaster mitigation training you can actually turn the noise down and start to have fun. Some gifted and dedicated instructors do put more into the classes and turn of more polished divers but in general you learn the skills by the book, practice them in the pool and demonstrate them in open water and off you go. Hooked on scuba, it worked for me!

Pete

I haven't read the other responses yet but I predict a wave of chest thumping about how lousy your instructor is.

I'll try to deal with what you actually said

I just had my first first Open Water classroom lesson yesterday and pool lesson today. I went into this thinking it would be fun and easy and now I'm really panicked. I think what is also making me nervous is that our instructors today said that we got through everything we were supposed to so we are not doing a second pool dive tomorrow as scheduled. So my next dive will be a real one. He said it won't be a deep dive, I think he said 23 feet. But STILL! I'm worried that I'm going to drown, pop a lung, blow out my eardrums because I'm by no means a comfortable scuba diver yet. They said I was doing fine, but I didn't feel like I was doing fine!

They're rushing, which should not become your problem. Demand the extra time in the water. You paid for it, it's scheduled, you have a right to it and you need it.

1) During the first 10 minutes of the lesson, I inhaled water (and then coughed for a few minutes). For the rest of the lesson, I definitely kept getting anxiety because I thought it would happen again. I know that it is supposed to take practice to get used to breathing underwater, but since I inhaled the water I can't seem to feel comfortable. My instructors also told me I tend to breathe fast because they think I'm anxious. (which i am!) In the shallow end of a pool, at least I knew that if I chocked I could just quickly lift my head out of the water and then cough to get the water out of my lungs. But I'm really worried that I will accidentally inhale water when I'm actually on a dive and at a greater depth. What do you do if you choke underwater!!!???? This really really really freaks me out.

Realistically, what happened when you coughed? ... it's possible to do that through the regulator, right? So that's something valuable you learned and you can trust that it will work the same even if the water is a little deeper. In fact, next time, *try* it in deeper water (the coughing, not the inhaling of water) and prove it to yourself. One tip.... put a hand on your reg if you need to cough so you don't accidently cough it out of your mouth. :)

2) Water in my nose. I don't mean inhaling it this time. But I felt like every time I cleared my mask I still had water in my nostrils, which made me want to constantly breathe out of my nose out of fear of inhaling it. I know you are not supposed to breathe out your nose, but I felt like if I didn't breathe out my nose I would have inhaled water more than once today.
This is ordinarily a technique issue. Next time you clear your mask, start with your head down and start exhaling through your nose *before* you start to life up your head. This will keep the water out of your nose.

3) Buoyancy. I suck at it. I feel like I was either sinking or rising too fast and totally against my control. I often struggled with sinking at all actually. Is it possible at a depth of 20-30 feet to pop a lung/eardrum because you ascending/descending too fast? I just don't feel I can quite control my speed yet. But since our dives are going to be relatively shallow, do I need to be worried?
Yes. I won't personally take anyone into OW until I'm sure they can control their descent and depth. In fact, in Mod 5 I do the hover by starting to descend and then stopping 1/2 way to the bottom and holding the hover there for 30 seconds before resuming the descent (as an aside, I acutally start with this on module#2 but don't "do it for real" until mod#5. This is because students need time to master buoyancy control) . Enfin, every diver should have the ability to halt a descent at any point. During the first checkout dives it's not *such* a big deal because a high level of control is applied the manner in which you make your descent and you will be diving over a "hard bottom" but nevertheless, buoyancy control is essential to your safety and it would appear that you need more practice. This is normal, by the way, that it takes time. Most divers need clear instruction and "time" just swimming around and getting a feel for it before the coin drops. There's nothing unusual about your case aside from teh fact that your instructors would appear to be rushing.

4) Biting on my mouthpiece. So the instructors said it was really important for your ears that you "hold your nose and blow out your ears" on the way down and "bite down" or yawn on the way up. But I felt I was ALWAYS biting down really hard on my mouthpiece, even why descending. My jaw is actually pretty sore. Am I going to mess up my ears?
No, you will not mess up your ears, but this issue is a bit of the tip of an iceberg. You're not comfortable, ergo, you need more time to get comfortable. Once again, there is nothing unusual about your case aside from the fact that you are not being offered enough time to get into it.

5) I'm about as strong as a 5 year old. Is it normal that I find the equipment EXTREMELY heavy? I was the only one in class today that couldn't lift the tank off the ground to help the instructors store them when the class was over. Is this really bad?
Sounds like it. :) There *are* smaller tanks and tanks made from other materials like carbon wrapped steel that are quite a bit lighter. The gear *is* heavy, however, so account for that when you go diving. Perhaps getting into a bit better shape could help too. I don't know if you do much on sport but if you go to a sport club, a bit of light weight lifting in your routine will help your upper body strength.

6) Holding my breath. Again, I'm TERRIFIED I'm going to pop my lungs. Growing up I took ballet classes and was told repeatedly that I was holding my breath which would make me face turn bright red. I was totally unaware I was doing it. Maybe it was because my feet were in pain, but now I have that in the back of my head and I'm worried I will hold my breath under water even though I know I'm not supposed to. I obviously don't hold it forever, because, I do in fact need to breathe. But sometimes I think I forget for a second, especially if I'm concentrated on something. I mean really, ARE MY LUNGS GOING TO EXPLODE!?
Holding your breath can be more dangerous in scuba diving than in ballet dancing... I'm sure about that! To me, this comment is addressing the same issue as several of your other comments, which is that you haven't had the time needed to start to relax yet. Some people are naturally very comfortable in the water. I would venture a guess that you're not really one of them. In your case you will simply need more time to get under water and swim around so you can get used to it. Some training on buoyancy control and breathing would help a lot in your case too. It may take another hour, or 2 or 8 but if you want to become comfortable diving then you will need that time. I would suggest returning to the shop and telling them about your comfort issues and requesting more time in the pool, even if it means you need to pay for a few private sessions. Those sessions will pay bigger dividends on the long term than you can possibly imagine.

I know my biggest problem, not just in scuba diving , is that I tend to over-think and panic. But knowing that doesn't help me to stop doing it, LOL. I'm sure with more practice I'll get the hang of it. But I guess my biggest question is, do I need ot be worried about hurting myself/dying on a 20-30ish foot dive? Or are problems like "popping a lung" more for deeper dives? Because I'm okay doing a few shallow dives and then doing deeper dives when I start feeling like a pro.
Scuba diving can be very safe but ideally your default emotional/mental state of mind should be centered. If you're feeling highly stressed when nothing unusual is happing that's not a very good indication for your ability to make the right decisions when something *does* happen. That's why it's so important to spend the time *now* to get comfortable and to not rush it. You need to slow down and take the time to relax, at least within your natural ability to do so.

Incase anyone knows these sites, I will be diving the Blue Heron Bridge in Palm Beach for my first dive, and Pompano Beach for my second.

Not my neck of the woods. Sorry.

R..

There was about 15 people in the class and 2 instructors. Maybe that is normal?
That's a big class. Personally I find I get the best results working with 4-6 people together with a Divemaster. However, I'd be willing to bet that I approach things a little differently than your instructors do, so the approach makes a big difference to how many people you can teach at one time. With a group of 15, I find things just get a bit chaotic/rushed even if you do have two instructors. With 2 + a DM or with 3 instructors it would be easier on everyone.

But I would have liked a class size of 5 or less. I don't think it was so much the instructor's fault but that I can be very shy have a little bit of trouble speaking up in situations... And I already felt bad in that they had to go over things with me privately after they had already gone over it with everyone else because I was the only one not getting it right away (which made me feel like an idiot! LOL). So i felt really reluctant to bother them every time I felt I wasn't doing something right. And I went to the class alone, so that made it a little overwhelming for me also.
Ok. I'm getting a better sense of your personality now. I would suggest just asking them for what you want, even if you find it a bit difficult to do so. If you would like to take a class with 4 people it's possible to arrange that in most shops. They *may* charge you a bit more because their overhead remains the same even if the class size is smaller but many instructors enjoy the smaller classes too so don't be afraid to ask for it. You may be surprised at the reaction you get. :) Maybe they can be persuaded to split that group of 15 into a group of 4 and a group of 11. That would take the pressure off of everyone....

But I took all your guy's advice and emailed the instructor asking for more pool time. Hopefully with some more practice (and studying) my nerves will calm down and I can just enjoy it!

This is good news. I'll sleep better knowing you did this :)

R..

Puchinita,

Some of the apprehension and discomfort you are feeling is very natural amongst many new divers. Please don't think that somehow it is your problem, or that it will be a permanent feeling. It's quite natural to initially find scuba training to be challenging, both mentally and physically.

All I can say is, have some faith in yourself and stick with it. As you gain experience, you will quickly find that you relax and start to enjoy it so much more.

I knew a student who went through a very similar experience to what you describe. There was frustration and tears. She felt that she was the least natural diver that ever took a lesson... to the point of literally having nightmares in expectation of having to perform that skill. True story... but she was an instructor herself less than 3 years later. She'd have never believed that at the time.

I just had my first first Open Water classroom lesson yesterday and pool lesson today. I went into this thinking it would be fun and easy and now I'm really panicked. I think what is also making me nervous is that our instructors today said that we got through everything we were supposed to so we are not doing a second pool dive tomorrow as scheduled. So my next dive will be a real one. He said it won't be a deep dive, I think he said 23 feet. But STILL! I'm worried that I'm going to drown, pop a lung, blow out my eardrums because I'm by no means a comfortable scuba diver yet. They said I was doing fine, but I didn't feel like I was doing fine!

If you were "feeling fine" after ONE pool session, then something's wrong with you. That would have been your ego writing checks your body and skills can't cash. It's very seldom that a typical person would "feel fine". I was apprehensive as hell even though my instructor insisted that I did well with my skill presentations.

1) During the first 10 minutes of the lesson, I inhaled water (and then coughed for a few minutes). For the rest of the lesson, I definitely kept getting anxiety because I thought it would happen again. I know that it is supposed to take practice to get used to breathing underwater, but since I inhaled the water I can't seem to feel comfortable. My instructors also told me I tend to breathe fast because they think I'm anxious. (which i am!) In the shallow end of a pool, at least I knew that if I chocked I could just quickly lift my head out of the water and then cough to get the water out of my lungs. But I'm really worried that I will accidentally inhale water when I'm actually on a dive and at a greater depth. What do you do if you choke underwater!!!???? This really really really freaks me out.

You cough and sputter a bit while holding the reg in your mouth. Now and then I'd blow the bubble rings or blowing bubbles at the sea lions and swallowed some water when I reinserted the 2nd stage back in my mouth. Even if you don't goof off like I do, sometimes, somehow, you're going to get water in your regulator and suck it in a bit. It's part of diving. Just don't swallow a gallon of it and you'll be OK.

2) Water in my nose. I don't mean inhaling it this time. But I felt like every time I cleared my mask I still had water in my nostrils, which made me want to constantly breathe out of my nose out of fear of inhaling it. I know you are not supposed to breathe out your nose, but I felt like if I didn't breathe out my nose I would have inhaled water more than once today.

It's OK to breath out through the nose now and then. That's how you equalize your mask at depth. There's also nothing wrong with breathing out through your nose all the time either. The worst things that happen would be a bit more leakage because the escaping air is breaking your mask's seal around your face and fogging up your lenses. Inconvenient but nothing deadly. I used to hate feeling water around my nose. After a while, I got used to it. Sometimes it irks me so I would clear my mask and waste good air for nothing, but it would make me feel good.

3) Buoyancy. I suck at it. I feel like I was either sinking or rising too fast and totally against my control. I often struggled with sinking at all actually. Is it possible at a depth of 20-30 feet to pop a lung/eardrum because you ascending/descending too fast? I just don't feel I can quite control my speed yet. But since our dives are going to be relatively shallow, do I need to be worried?

It takes time to develope this skill. You're not going to pop a lung while descending. Might pop an ear drum though. As long as you breath out while going up, you're not going to pop a lung while ascending either.

4) Biting on my mouthpiece. So the instructors said it was really important for your ears that you "hold your nose and blow out your ears" on the way down and "bite down" or yawn on the way up. But I felt I was ALWAYS biting down really hard on my mouthpiece, even why descending. My jaw is actually pretty sore. Am I going to mess up my ears?

Join the club. I still unconsciously bite hard on my mouthpiece. No, it's not going to hurt your ears.

5) I'm about as strong as a 5 year old. Is it normal that I find the equipment EXTREMELY heavy? I was the only one in class today that couldn't lift the tank off the ground to help the instructors store them when the class was over. Is this really bad?

Yes, the equipment is that heavy. I was and still am out of shape, but I've gotten used to put on the heavy wetsuit and lugging the gears by now.

6) Holding my breath. Again, I'm TERRIFIED I'm going to pop my lungs. Growing up I took ballet classes and was told repeatedly that I was holding my breath which would make me face turn bright red. I was totally unaware I was doing it. Maybe it was because my feet were in pain, but now I have that in the back of my head and I'm worried I will hold my breath under water even though I know I'm not supposed to. I obviously don't hold it forever, because, I do in fact need to breathe. But sometimes I think I forget for a second, especially if I'm concentrated on something. I mean really, ARE MY LUNGS GOING TO EXPLODE!?

Don't hold your breath. If you can't do this, then scuba isn't for you. There's no cure that I can think of, or no drills to prevent it. You have to breath out.

I know my biggest problem, not just in scuba diving , is that I tend to over-think and panic. But knowing that doesn't help me to stop doing it, LOL. I'm sure with more practice I'll get the hang of it. But I guess my biggest question is, do I need ot be worried about hurting myself/dying on a 20-30ish foot dive? Or are problems like "popping a lung" more for deeper dives? Because I'm okay doing a few shallow dives and then doing deeper dives when I start feeling like a pro.

At least you try to think on your own. Most people would do exactly what they're taught without nary an inkling as to why or how. And yes, you need to worry about drowning and popping lungs/ear drums, getting the bend, etc. It's the hazard of the sport, regardless of how deep or shallow you go.

The concerns and feelings you have are not uncommon for newer folks. More pool sessions and possibly a different instructor may help. It's always supposed to be fun...demand that it stay that way. The only goals at your level are to get comfortable so you can learn and have a good time.

Back
Top Bottom