First-hand account of down current, with video footage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why was my recent post removed? I'm not mad, just wondering if I said something weird? Thanks.

How recent? Everything from the 21st until just a couple of days ago was lost due to corruption that could not be restored. All posts were lost.

Thanks JamesK. Yeah, I believe I posted in that time frame. That's reassuring, as I thought the post was pretty benign. Made me a little paranoid! Hehe.

Ah yes Quero, that was me. I was basically just thanking everyone on this thread, especially the OP who put up the video. I do believe I applied what I learned by looking at (obsessing over) this thread and the video. I experienced a downcurrent for the 1st time in the Solomons, bad leg cramps trying (and failing) to ascend. Remembered this thread, looked at debri and bubbles going down and realized it was a down current, put some air in my BCD to go up, (my legs were useless... stupid cramps!), watched my depth gauge carefully, let air out as soon as things seemed to ease up. So ascent was controlled, calm, able to do safety stop. Anyways, thats all, just letting you all know these discussions are really helpful.

I experienced a downcurrent for the 1st time in the Solomons, bad leg cramps trying (and failing) to ascend. Remembered this thread, looked at debris and bubbles going down and realized it was a down current, put some air in my BCD to go up, (my legs were useless... stupid cramps!), watched my depth gauge carefully, let air out as soon as things seemed to ease up. So ascent was controlled, calm, able to do safety stop.

Thanks for posting this FN. helpful in case it ever happens to us.

- Bill

Haven't read all of the posts, but a couple of things. It was apparent to me from the surface shots that the water was moving along pretty swiftly. While the surface can often move more rapidly on the surface compared to the subsurface due to wind and such, it did not appear windy, and the group was really stretching out prior to descent. I would have thrown out a line for the divers to hang on until I got everyone in the water and ready to go. Based on the bubbles, there was a fairly solid down draft. You do not need full on downward bubbles to have a solid downdraft. I think it was a solid pull here, especially for young and/or inexperienced divers. Not raging, like I have seen in Sabang and at Peleliu Cut, but strong enough to cause problems. Many lessons here, and I think the dive guide could learn a few as much as anyone. Was that the guide bolting down into a ripping current without looking back, while he had divers struggling to descend? Always good to gather everyone at 30 or 40 feet. Anyway, swim out from the wall, inflate and kick, be ready to deflate, do a controlled ascent, and, depending on conditions (yours and the site), either continue the dive or do a nice long safety stop. I certainly would have attempted to drop back down for the safety stop, as pops did, assuming my buddy was over the panic.

Quite a video. I might have nightmares tonight thinking about the diver crying for help. Glad it turned out ok.

Thank you to the OP of this video. Our family of four will be doing a dive in Cozumel in a couple of weeks, and I was on the fence about whether to do a private DM or go with a group. This settles it! Private charter to have control over the dive site and careful supervision. We're all newbies, and the newest of all is my 14-year-old son. This video is very hard to watch, but I have learned a lot and I truly appreciate the family sharing it.

I hope all is well with them and they have gone on to dive happily together again.

Thank you to the OP of this video. Our family of four will be doing a dive in Cozumel in a couple of weeks, and I was on the fence about whether to do a private DM or go with a group. This settles it! Private charter to have control over the dive site and careful supervision. We're all newbies, and the newest of all is my 14-year-old son. This video is very hard to watch, but I have learned a lot and I truly appreciate the family sharing it.

I hope all is well with them and they have gone on to dive happily together again.
Events like this are highly unlikely, but still - hiring a private DM is an excellent idea for one or two divers who have not dived Coz before. Chartering your own, private panga with skipper & DM may be a great idea and may not cost much more if you all four make every trip together. You might even want to hire an extra DM the first day if all of you have less than 50 dives and have not dived Coz before. It's usually pretty easy diving, but one must be prepared.

And I could go on & on with the common suggestions, just in case...

DAN dive insurance for all, and not the bottom plan!

Make sure you know how your (rental?) gear works before you board.

Buddies descend together, stay together, and ascend together - none of this"meet you on the bottom/surface" stuff.

Remember your training and follow it.

Carry your own SMB each, and the shops don't rent those. I also like a Storm whistle and a mirror, but to each his/her own on signaling devices.

In case of problems, get positive, and weights are expendable. My bud & I practice ditching those to an extent the first time of every trip.

Have a great trip. :pilot:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom