First GoPro Videos - Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmorescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was fortunate enough to get a Hero 3 Black before my long-dreamed about trip to Hawaii. I didn't get the chance to use it much before I left, so these videos are really my first. I chose to shoot with the following settings: 1080p/60fps/Wide/ProTune ON. I used Cineform and Premiere for editing. My thought was: by manually adjusting the white balance, I could obtain similar results to using a red filter without having to bother with one. I would say that mostly did not work. Anything below 20ft or so still looks pretty blue, even though I tweaked it as much as I could. But, I'm still pleased with the results overall. I guess I'll try a red filter next time. For the Manta night dive, I tried lots of settings, but I ended up processing all the raw clips through Cineform with the "Day As Night" preset (and a bit more sharpness). I think the effect is quite cool. It really cut down on the backscatter from all the dive lights. I welcome comments and critiques:

Hawaii 2013 (Big Island) - YouTube

I had the camera on a tray with a handle, but I need to work on being a lot more still. Anyway, enjoy!

The night dive was pretty cool. Looked like stadium lighting down there.

Yep, its pretty amazing how fast the colors go underwater. More than just a few feet and it starts to go dull. You definitely need that red filter for the greater depths. Some kind of color correction should be possible at the shallower depths.

Nice, really impressed with the night dive video, nothing wrong with the low light capability of the 3!!

Loads of torches!!

Good vids man! Nice.

I agree, the Hero 3 Black has awesome low-light abilities, far better than my HD2.

Loved the first song for the Manta dive...nice. That person in front of you looks like they're hyperventilating though! So many bubbles!

Back
Top Bottom