First gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rr75

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi:

As indicated in my previous post, I'm 4 open water dives away from my OW certification. Based on the fun I had, I imagine that I'll dive somewhat often, sometimes on vacation and sometimes here.

As part of the class, of course, I bought the basic gear (mask, fins, etc.). During the class, I had the opportunity to try different kinds of other gear (wetsuits, BCs, regulators).

Here's what I'm curious about. What would the logical next equipment purchase be. Opinions I've heard include:

--Wetsuit, to ensure fit. (Problem is, I won't be diving in the same area all the time.)

--A computer, to simplify recordkeeping, dive management and promote safety and simplicity. (The instructor advocated getting a wristwatch-type computer.)

--A BC or BC/regulator combination. This was another issue of fit, as I had several BCs in class...some fit well and were totally functional, and others, well, didn't really work for me.

My dive shop would love to sell me thousands of dollars worth of equipment, I'm sure, but I'd rather take things a bit slower until I've done some diving. Price isn't a huge object, although I'd rather not break the bank until the economy comes back a bit.

What do all of you recommend? And what did you do when you were in this situation?

first. Do some thorough research and get the highest quality you can reasonably afford.

This is your primary piece of life support equipment and if you own your reg you know exactly how it's been treated and maintained.

The other stuff can come as your budget allows and knowledge of your diving style develops.

rr75 once bubbled...
What do all of you recommend? And what did you do when you were in this situation?
I can't remember back that far.... but here's what I would do now:

I would read everything I could here.

I would read all the other threads that have asked the same question.

I would seek out experienced divers and/or divers from Scuba Board who just might happen to be in my area.

I would be on the look out for a mentor... someone with experience (and no vested interest in selling me stuff) to give me some advice.

He always talks sense.

As for the order of priority I agree with Cyklon - your reg is the most important piece of equipment you will ever own so make it your first purchase.

As for a BC you first have to decide whether you want to go jacket/back inflate/backplate + wing so don't rush in and spend money before you're sure which route you want to go.

wetsuits are not expensive and it's nice to dive in your own since it will fit properly. If you will dive in different areas with different water temp then look at the combination suits where you have a basic suit to which you can add jackets. Whether you will dive in temperatures which require a dry suit is something you don't indicate but as UP says there are hundreds of threads on this board to consult.

Computers are nice but not essential. Learn to plan your dives using the tables first and then consider buying one.

Do as much as possible.

You can use the board (although some of it will be a little too hard-core for you) and check at here: http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/

Naturally, other sources of info are also available. When you think that you know what you need, try posting more specific questions on the board. You'll be surprised by the amount of info you will get (it might even get a little confusing :bonk: ).

Good luck.

Ari :)

I am new to diving as well. I have learned a lot from this board and wish I would have waited to buy my gear. I have a BC that I am no longer happy with, I bought it while I was still in my OW class. As others have said, take your time and read and learn as much as you can before you jump in and buy.

I was just discusing the subject of gear yesterday.

Predominantly how much of the initial gear I bought I was going to end up replacing inorder to get happy with it.

Part of the problem is, until you've used gear a few times it's impossible to know how it will work for you. What I find irritating you might find perfectly acceptable, case in point, I just took the AI computer (Cobra) off my rig and replaced it with a simple SPG. I really liked the idea of AI computers when I bought my equipment, but having used it I find that I use my Vyper (bought as a backup) for everything and the only thing I ever read off the Cobra is air pressure. The other side of this is that a lot of people like their air integrated console mounted computers.

Now none of the gear I bought is non functional, just that I now appreciate that there are better solutions for me, and I'm more aware of what I want out of the gear.

You have to talk to people, get a feel for why they like or dislike their gear. The problem is that until your using the gear yourself, you really won't know how your going to use it.

What gear to buy first, a frequent question/topic for discussion, that creats much controversy.

My opinions (for what they're worth):

Near the top of the list Exposure suit. Probably a wet suit. Buy for good fit and it's among the more expensive (due to they're short rental life) items to rent, in relation to it's cost. You don't show a location, so not sure what thickness you'll need locally. A good one piece (maybe a semi dry), a hood, gloves. For colder water add a hooded vest. they're a very versatile suit.

Then Reg set. You can survive other equipment problems, more easily the a reg failure (IMHO, flame away). You also stick this in your mouth, so having your own is nice (something like not sharing your toothbrush).

Then BC. I'd recommend trying as many makes, models, styles as you can before buying. To me, there's a lot more variance in trim, comfort and diving style in BC's than Wetsuits or Reg's.

Then a computer. I like a console unit, some prefer a wrist. It will vary, but for my early dives, a computer added little value over tables, as I always ran low on air, before I ran low on time.

Then you've got things like tanks, lights, maybe a camera, etc. Some small stuff, you'll buy as you need (doing a night dive, you need lights, now). Having my own tanks is great, as I can dive at short notice, without heading to LDS. If you don't dive a lot, they'll cost you a lot more than renting.

If you dive a lot, at the end of a couple of years (maybe even less), you'll own 2 or 3 wetsuits, maybe a drysuit even, possibly a couple of BC's and maybe more than one set of regs. This is probably the ultimate past time for the person who loves to buy gadgets. You can always make a case for the new gadget that you just have to have.:D

Everything depends on your LDS...

Get to know your LDS tech, if they seem reliable and keep their gear in good working order then go for a wetsuit. This pretty much makes or breaks. If you have an illfitting suit then you really won't enjoy the dive and quickly lose interest in the sport. As well they are fairly inexpensive compared to a lot of the other gear, depending on what you get.

Next would be your own set of regs. This is a life saving piece of equipment and you won't always be able to rent from your LDS. As well by this time you know if you want to invest in the sport so you won't be wasting your money.

Next would be BC, by this time you should have been able to try a variety of them and know what you want.

Then tanks. I went with ALUM first, and just got my first steel this summer (after 4 yrs of diving). Nothing wrong with the alum, just trying out different things.

Computer would be one of the last items. I have a Resource in my counsel with a bottom timer on my wrist. Lately I have found that I rely too much on the computer tho and have been pushing it too hard. Bad habit to get into and that is why I recommend getting it last. Give you time to get to know yourself and your gear before you rely too much on your computer if you decide to get one.

Back
Top Bottom