First Flower Garden Trip '06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay_SMART_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well I got to make the first Flower Gardens trip of the year this past weekend (March 25-26) on the M/V Fling from Gulf-Diving. Every trip up till now has been cancelled due to weather, but we lucked out this weekend. Although it was a little chilly at night the weather couldn’t have been better, the skies were as clear and blue as the water, the seas were mostly a flat 2’, and the temp was in the mid-70’s both days.

Friday Night: We boarded at around 8:30 and there was, of course, the customary mad rush for bunks and gear spots. I headed to the forward cabin and secured bunk 5 and 6 for me and my buddy, while he carried some gear on to secure our gear spots on the dive deck. I highly recommend the forward cabin on the Fling we were in a 4 bunk cabin away from everything, and Head #1 with the shower was right outside our cabin (no having to climb stairs in the middle of the night to pee). While everyone else was scrambling out on the dive deck to assemble their gear I avoided the crowd and got my bunk made up (not something to be tried when you’re underway) then headed to the dive deck. Up on the dive deck the melee had subsided so I was able to get tank/BC/Reg set and stow my bag under the bench.
Side-note rant: When on a boat if you bring a humongous rolling travel gear bag that won’t fit under the bench, please unpack what you need and move the steamer trunk in your cabin under your bunk!
We got underway around 9 pm and everyone compacted into the salon for the briefing. The crew was all very nice although a little rusty having not done a trip since late last year but the briefing was very terse and informative. Everyone milled around and I hit my bunk before we were past the Jetties.

Saturday Morning: The wake up came at around 6am from one of the dive masters for the 7 am dive on the West Bank Buoy #4. The water temp was around 72 and there was a pretty good current pushing across the reef. The visibility was around 60’ and it was great. Once you got down on the reef staying low to the coral channels really cut down on the current, we swam out against the current and made our way to the edge of the reef and say a group of about 5 spotted eagle rays off in the distance cruising by (sorry the picture didn’t come out), had a good dive in the 75’ range for about 40 min. We were all flapping like flags on the mooring line due to the current. Second dive was about like the first I stayed lower in the coral and didn’t have to struggle as much with the current, several people saw some tiger sharks and a hammerhead coming up the mooring line.

Saturday Afternoon: We headed out for a rig dive but once we got there and tied up, a crew boat was coming in to re-supply the rig so we were delayed getting out afternoon dive in and the took us straight to the East Bank Buoy #4. The east bank was great there was no current to speak of and there was about 50-60’ visibility. The profile was still around the 70’ range at the half-way point of the dive we were headed back toward the mooring when *insert Jaws theme here* out of the distance came the sleek unmistakable shape of a Hammerhead shark. It was hard to keep my mouth from dropping open and losing my reg, but I maintained composure and got the camera up for some pictures, he got within about 20 feet and then turned and was gone; simply amazing. The evening dive was great the camera really started bringing out the colors in the coral. Since no one spotted any Tiger sharks on the East Bank that day, we were able to get a night dive in. The boat was lit up like a moon and we dropped onto the reef and hung around a sandy patch just under the boat. There was a school of HUGE Amberjacks milling all around us during that dive and the customary barracudas. The Amberjacks were all around 3’ or larger and very impressive, got to see a couple of squirrel fish and only saw one small lobster. After that dive it was a hot shower, warm brownies and ice-cream then a much needed bunk.

Sunday Morning: Another resounding reveille at 6 am by the dive master for the first dive on Stetson Bank. There was also very little current here but the visibility was milky and only about 30’. I can see why a lot of people like Stetson; you don’t have to hunt for the marine life since there’s not as may places for them to hide. There was fish everywhere. Saw lots of Spotted Morays, Rock Hinds by the dozens, Angels the size of serving platters, and a good size scorpion fish.
I can say I was definitely impressed with Gulf-Diving crew and loved the Fling, Mike in the Galley was great and you couldn’t go hungry if you tried. The Dive Masters were informative and helpful, and the Captains were great. Loved the trip and will definitely head out there again.

Glad you got out,,,,can't wait for my 2 opps. this season!! Great report and super pictures--thanks a ton for sharing. Alan

Yes thanks for the report. Nice picts. Looking forward to a chance to make a FG trip.

Willie

Thanks for the excellent trip report and pics. I'm doing a 3 day FG trip on Memorial weekend and looking forward to it.

God i am so jealous!!! I wish I could have gone a few weeks ago. Great report, thanks for the pictures!!!

Good report! Thanks for taking the time to post.

Regards.,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom