first dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But back to the point of the tread, does anyone have an opinion on the light duty dry-suits like Fusion one?

I'm not usually a "try search, first" person... but there are are probably a hundred threads on that topic. (And, apparently, this thread isn't one of them.)

I'm not usually a "try search, first" person... but there are are probably a hundred threads on that topic. (And, apparently, this thread isn't one of them.)
Fair enough! I guess what I was really looking for was a heavy duty vs light duty discussion rather than the typical "I just spent money on this so of course I'm saying it's awesome" reviews. I did read a lot of those before asking.​

Last edited:
Yoyoguy,

I took the similar journey recently. I was diving water with temps in the high 40s. After doing the 7mm farmer john gig, I decided to go with a drysuit.

I found a Bare Next-Gen that was practically new for $350 on Craigslist. I really like the glued in socks over the boots. Not only did it make it easier for the seller with much smaller feet to sell to me -- a person with size 13 feet -- it also allows others of similar body built to use it. The back zipper is a pain when diving solo but I have learned to zip and unzip myself after watching a few Youtube videos. Keep the zipper waxed helps a lot. But so far I have found no substitute for someone lending me a hand! I would think an front zip suit would be awesome.

For solo sidemount diving, I have gone with a Oxycheq Recon II with a dual bladder for redundant buoyancy in handling weight and the 2 LP 85s. I don't connect the right inflator but have it ready to be orally inflated if needed. I agree with what others have said about lift bags. I personally believe that lift bags are for lifting objects (not people), SMBs are Surface Marker Buoys, BCDs are for buoyancy compensation, and dry suits are for keeping warm.

Speaking of keeping warm. I simply use the thermals and other clothes I hunt with. I didn't buy special undergarments.

I am using McNett cleaner and preserver on the seals.

My rig is bulky but works well in open cold water diving.

Do well in your search and purchase!

Blessings!

ShootnStr8

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom