first dry suit dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tyler labelle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
so I picked up a new D9 drysuit yesterday and took it out today for its first trip. ended up soaked from head to toe. only thing now wet was my left arm. got home and turned it inside out and filled with water and found no leaks . wondering if the neck seal was rolled wrong or if it was zipper. had to say. I guess ill try again at the end of the week.

What are you wearing for undies? It's possible a high collar was interfering with neck seal.

I always give my zipper an extra 2 tugs after buddy has zipped me up. Makes sure it's seated properly.

You determined there was no leaks, how exactly? Fill it with water? Poor way to test and a good way to ruin the suit. A suit full of water would be VERY heavy, potentially seam destructively heavy.

Who zipped you up? Did they know what they were doing?

The D9 doesnt come with neoprene seals, so the seals should be rolled up. A rolled up latex or silicone seal does the opposite and is more prone to leakage.

Try just having it smooth next time and if you are extra bearded, like me, you might need to shave your neck and throat to not have it interfere with the seal.

What type of neck seal do you have? Only neoprene seals need to be rolled. Latex and silicone seals must be flat afainst your skin.
No, they "must" not. I used to tuck my neoprene neck seal, and I still tuck my silicone neck seal. And my son tucks his latex neck seal. Tucking the neck seal has an advantage: If you ascend head-up, the air pressure helps to close the seal, preventing "burping". Same thing on the surface.

Some divers have short 'fat' necks. The seal tends to roll outward.
So, you CAN?? roll latex and silicone inward, like neoprene? Never heard or seen it done.

The few times I've forgotten to tuck my neoprene neck seal I've gotten wet, not soaked.

What type of neck seal do you have? Only neoprene seals need to be rolled. Latex and silicone seals must be flat afainst your skin.
latex seals guy that was helping me said you can roll it down a bit so he did. I thought It sounded like a bad idea. had scuba pro climatec undergarment on.

You determined there was no leaks, how exactly? Fill it with water? Poor way to test and a good way to ruin the suit. A suit full of water would be VERY heavy, potentially seam destructively heavy.

Who zipped you up? Did they know what they were doing?
yes I zipped it up inside out and filled with water and found no leaks.

Back
Top Bottom