First diving vacation - new divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drea13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

Recently certified with the SSI program. We are looking to start off with an easy dive vacation next spring to get some more dives under our belts. We were thinking about the Florida Keys, around approximately a week. Does anyone have a group or company they would recommend?

Key Largo is tops on my list, especially for new divers. The infrastructure can't be beat (a lot of great dive ops), and you're on an island... but there's a highway connecting you to civilization just 20 minutes away. The dive sites are plenty enough to keep you busy, but if you want more variety you can take a short drive to the other keys further south.

As for dive ops, I'm partial to Rainbow Reef. Started diving with them many years ago, ended up doing my DM and IDC with them. All around a great operation. But you'll hear the same about many other dive ops in KL also.

Back in 2013, I made it down to Key Largo and had a fine time with Rainbow Reef Dive Center (trip report to show you what it was like). Their location moved a bit, I'm told, but otherwise I imagine a trip would be much the same.

There are other options, but none I have reason to believe are necessarily 'better,' and you don't have to leave the country to get there.

Perhaps some of the regulars in that region can advise you how much of a risk bad weather leading to trip cancellations are on a given day in the spring. That, and water temp. around that time of year, would be my main questions.

Richard.

Back in 2013, I made it down to Key Largo and had a fine time with Rainbow Reef Dive Center (trip report to show you what it was like). Their location moved a bit, I'm told, but otherwise I imagine a trip would be much the same.

Sort of... the shop is where it's always been, right on the highway about a mile north of the marina. The only move RR made a couple years ago was their facility on the marina (where divers check in for their boat trips.) Previously they had a small kiosk on the marina, in the parking lot of the Courtyard hotel; now they're in a permanent structure on the marina just a couple hundred feet from where the kiosk was.

The new digs makes a world of difference: they have their own parking lot, plenty of space for guests inside and outside, and they park their boats right out back. Much better for guests in every respect... and I had always thought the experience was 5-star even before the move.

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

If you scroll down that intimidating first page, you will find regional forums, and there you will find one for Florida. You will find tons of information about the Florida Keys there, and you can ask more specific questions that will be answered by people who really know the area.

Hello,

Recently certified with the SSI program. We are looking to start off with an easy dive vacation next spring to get some more dives under our belts. We were thinking about the Florida Keys, around approximately a week. Does anyone have a group or company they would recommend?

Have you tried asking to the Dive Shop/instructors that certified you? Not that you won't get answers here... but you already have a relationship with them and it would be face-to-face versus the Internet. Unless, of course, you didn't have a good experience with them.

The Florida Keys is a great spot for new divers or seasoned veterans !
Enjoy your trip with whomever you choose to dive with !
Sea Dwellers

Back
Top Bottom