First dive with Dry Gloves. What to expect? What to watch out for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

00wabbit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This is short notice but I will be doing my first dive with drygloves on Saturday.

I have the si-tech glove lock system: Si Tech Glove Lock Dry Glove System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

I have them installed on my suit and everything is tight and seems to fit well. Last night I filled up the kitchen sink and put my hands in to see if there were any leaks or bubbles and all seems fine.

What should I watch out for during my dives this weekend?

The only thing I can think of with dry gloves is squeeze. A lot of people like to put a piece of bungie or IV tubing or something under their seal, so that the gloves can equalize. If you have very prominent tendons and tend to leak a lot through your seals, you may not find that necessary.

I have tried the SI Tech gloves & they never worked for me,... always leaked, so I had my drysuit retrofitted with Zip Seals so that I could change out between regular seals & gloves in minutes. If it works for you, as TS&M mentioned,expect some squeeze. Expect some loss of dexterity, that might make prepping to dive a little more difficult, until you get a slight squeeze in the water. Other than that, expect warmer hands!:D

I have tried the SI Tech gloves & they never worked for me,... always leaked, so I had my drysuit retrofitted with Zip Seals so that I could change out between regular seals & gloves in minutes. If it works for you, as TS&M mentioned,expect some squeeze. Expect some loss of dexterity, that might make prepping to dive a little more difficult, until you get a slight squeeze in the water. Other than that, expect warmer hands!:D

Have you given the SI Tech gloves using the updated o-rings a try? The "proper" size o-ring is a -153 and works far better than the size that comes with the gloves. The zip system is nice but I would hate to have my hands trapped in gloves for the SI and I just can't get over what they charge for a $15 pair of gloves with a plastic ring glued to them. Just checked there site, $178 for a pair of gloves:confused:?

To the OP I would just suggest using something equalize the gloves. For equalization some use a piece of string, latex tubing, the thumb loop of your undergarment, they all work.

Have you given the SI Tech gloves using the updated o-rings a try? The "proper" size o-ring is a -153 and works far better than the size that comes with the gloves. The zip system is nice but I would hate to have my hands trapped in gloves for the SI and I just can't get over what they charge for a $15 pair of gloves with a plastic ring glued to them. Just checked there site, $178 for a pair of gloves:confused:?

To the OP I would just suggest using something equalize the gloves. For equalization some use a piece of string, latex tubing, the thumb loop of your undergarment, they all work.

Nope after the failure of the SI Tech gloves, I went to the Zip Seals & have been very pleased with them. I have learned to get myself ready for a dive with the gloves on. A little more difficult? yes,... but certainly doable. I have ripped a couple of wrist seals & the convenience of being able to put a new, pre-trimmed seal on in minutes & then go on the dive is invaluable. Yes, the gloves are a bit expensive, but so far I've had them for over 2 yrs & they are still going strong. I only use the gloves for cold water diving & the wrist seals (bare hands) for everything else. I have found, though not recommended, I can easily put new seals on the old rings, to save a little.

holding your hands over your head while ascending can make some cool lookin' "mickey mouse" hands!!!!
just sayin'
air needs to go somewheres
have fun
yaeg

Agreed, squeeze is one thing, and while I don't recall it ever causing discomfort, your hands will be warmer if you can get some air into your drygloves during the dives, so you can use the method's suggested above, or for nodeco dives, I will often just put my glove liners on before my drysuit, and leave the glove liners in between my wrist and the drysuit seal. If you want a little more air in the gloves, just raise your hands for 5 or 6 seconds (think like a boxer that puts his hands up, without making the fist). I will also usually dunk both my hands for 10 or 15 seconds as soon as I get to the water (assuming shore dives), to make sure I've got a good seal with no leaks. I've got a good system now and rarely get leaks, but they were more common when I first got the gloves, although that was probably user error and not the gloves.

tstormdiver, ya I wish I had no glove dives, all of my diving is cold:depressed:.

tstormdiver, ya I wish I had no glove dives, all of my diving is cold:depressed:.

I feel for ya! Cold water for me is either deep at the quarry or winter. During the summer or in the FL caves, I can go bare handed. I frequently have to switch back & forth, so the versatility is very much needed.

If your undergarments have thumb loops and you use wrist seals, leave them exposed under the seal to allow air to travel (don't tuck them back in).

As soon as you break water, clasp your hands/fingers together to seat finger tips well into the gloves.

As for a liner, I use medium weight running gloves with grip on the fingers and palm. They wick moisture way from the hands. They don't slide inside the dry glove. Love them.

Hears a link to my current setup for dry gloves. Which I just realized was posted in a thread you started.

Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom