First dive with a She-P -- Why did I wait so long?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Silicone discolors over time, as anybody with a yellow mask skirt knows, but I don't care about that, either.

Hi Lynn,
Regarding the yellowing of silicone, it can be reduced significantly by allowing it to dry thoroughly before storing it in any container.

For example, in regard to a silicone-skirted mask, putting a wet mask in the plastic container it came in will quickly cause yellowing. Apparently you should at least leave a corner of the container open or better yet, let it dry thoroughly and then store it. I leave mine in an XS Scuba mask case, which allows moisture out.

Perhaps drying the silicone She-P thoroughly before storing will also reduce yellowing?

Interesting, Ayisha! I'm not storing my She-P in anything, so it dries out thoroughly. We'll see if the color changes.

So, in addition to purchasing from She-P, I also need to get the typical P-valve config as well from a separate vendor.

Does the She-P come with clear and concise instructions, or do you have to go by guess & by gosh? :confused:

I should probably search on P-valve installation get those questions answered first.....:blinking:

The She-P came with instructions, which I promptly lost -- but there are excellent instructions with photographs on the Wethorse website. The US distributor (scootergirl here on SB) is also very responsive to questions. (It may help that she's local, and I know her :) )

The Halcyon p-valve came with very clear and detailed instructions on its installation, use and care.

The whole thing has actually proven to be easier than I thought it would be.

Both Laura and Heleen have been very helpful and informative. Definitely go their websites and see the step-by-steps. It's quite simple, and you'll be drinking Big Gulps before dives and whizzing on trees in no time at all...wishing you'd have done it sooner!

I have a dry caving trip coming up this weekend, and I am very seriously considering wearing my She-P, for the simple convenience of not having drop trou and squat when the urge arises.

where are you going shirley? more sumping with marbrey?

I just tested dry suits at DUI's dog days this last weekend and every time I got in the water the she-p came to mind. Yes, I will invest in one as I definitely do not want to thumb a dive for something so inconsequential. Not to mention I'm a huge water drinker. It was hard not to reach for the water bottle every time I was out of the spring.

Many, many thanks to the predecessors for being the "guinea pigs". You're greatly appreciated. :D

The she-p was designed with those 'wear points' in mind, and if you take a closer look, you'll see that the silicone is thicker there (and about 1/3rd of the way back) (reservoir wall thickness). This allows for more material and hopefully outstanding durability. I have been diving my first silicone (one of the prototypes actually) for hmm... 4 or 5 months with absolutely zero visible wear or discoloration.

FWIW, it's gotten more 'wear' than just diving, I use it for other adventures where dropping ones drawers and squatting isn't always the ideal :)

You'll be lucky to find a Halcyon P-valve in the 130.00 range. They are on average 170.00 at a halcyon dealer. I am now officially a proud dealer of the Streamlined P-valve, and it is available on the Introducing Wethorse Production?s ?She-P? site both as part of a 'kit' or by itself. No more having to hunt one down from separate vendor :)

If anyone purchased a she-p from myself or heleen before we were shipping them with instructions, please PM me and I'd be happy to either mail you a set or email it as a PDF.

Also for those who would like them (but you'll have to PM me with your address) being that in a few weeks all she-p kits will be shipping with dust covers that plug the QD whilst not hooked up, I'd be happy to throw a set in the mail for you :) (yes, complementary as thanks for your belief in our product early in the game) IF you are not already using the adhesive remover, I'll throw a sample pad or two in as well :)

I will have some nice machined sealing plugs that click into the socket available for purchase soon as well.

Extra 'sets' of the non-sealing dust covers will also be purchasable on the site.

I don't know what the use lifetime of the silicone She-P is going to be, but it should be a while. It's fairly thick, so it's not something I'm worrying about tearing. Silicone discolors over time, as anybody with a yellow mask skirt knows, but I don't care about that, either. It shouldn't become brittle or fragile with time. Looking at other silicone items, I would guess the lifetime on this should be as long as I want to dive. The only wear points I can see are where the molded exit tubing comes into the reservoir, as that is a place where tension is applied as the tubing torques from side to side. So we'll see!

I have looked at the website, but of course it's in British pounds.

British pounds work for me, especially now that the pound is so weak against the dollar

Here in the UK lots of guys I know are wearing them
but, the only girl seems to be Gledders :worship:

I've been looking at these for a while and have always worried about the whole shaving thing and the possible leak
but, I'm now over that and will definately be getting one :D

This thread is really good .... thanks

Back
Top Bottom