First Dive Trip Without Instructor - Need to Rent Gear & Help Planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how many OW dives do you have and how long have you been certified?

I have 17 total dives, all of them have been for certifications. I received my OW certification in December 2017. I am very new at this.

That said, PADI is a respected, trusted agency and I am proud of my accomplishment in obtaining the certifications. These were some of the most difficult things I have ever done in my life.

Edit: I saw that later in the thread you mentioned PADI cavern. So that's probably not a very good course, and your questions about the guideline indicate very little understanding of it.
The requirements for the PADI cavern course are comparable to the standard requirements of other agencies. The instructor must be at least full cave certified, although being a cave instructor is not a requirement. Many, however, are cave instructors.

....Someone recommended GUE training. Another mentioned TDI and several other organizations. I have PADI OW, AOW, Cavern and EAN certs. My passion is for Cavern diving. Which is the next certification you recommend I should obtain?

I have certs from just about every major agency from Jr. Scuba Diver through tec and cave (I was even a PADI Asst Instructor), so there is no bias here, but if you are serious about progressing in Cavern/Cave, then start with a GUE Fundamentals. I don't believe there is a better option out there for making that jump.

(of recent, Cave I was GUE, Tech cave IANTD)

I have 17 total dives, all of them have been for certifications. I received my OW certification in December 2017. I am very new at this.

That said, PADI is a respected, trusted agency and I am proud of my accomplishment in obtaining the certifications. These were some of the most difficult things I have ever done in my life.

come up to Jocassee this summer. We'll go diving....

PADI is a trusted, respected agency, but it's focus is in the open water, recreational diving world. Diving in overhead environments is much more in the technical diving world. (I realize that cavern zones are dubiously categorized as 'recreational') I think it's likely that the instructors and courses for the specifically technical agencies are generally going to be more rigorous than PADI courses. I'm sure there are exceptions, and I'm not trying to belittle your PADI cavern course.

Someone in your situation, with only certification dives under your belt, would do well IMO to simply get lots of experience OW diving. I'd be very cautious about any overhead environment at all, quite frankly. New OW divers do routinely go on guided cenote dives in MX, and most do fine, but it is a much less forgiving place to dive than open water where you can simply go directly to the surface at any time.

It's great that you worked hard on your classes and you are obviously very enthusiastic and inquisitive, both good qualities. But you have zero experience diving on your own, and I would urge you to enjoy lots of diving in very forgiving settings before venturing into overheads.

I have 17 total dives, all of them have been for certifications. I received my OW certification in December 2017.
It's interesting how peoples' attitudes differ. You're at Cavern with 17 dives, all of them for certification. I took my AOW at around 25, and my Rescue at 100+. I didn't feel competent to progress earlier. And except for my course dives, every single dive I've logged have been independent buddy dives with no guide or DM to hold my hand (ok, some of them have been with a guide/DM trying to hold my hand, but they failed...)

I am very new at this.
That's rather obvious :wink:

I won't go very far into the caverns and won't spend too long in there!!!

I really appreciate the advice and concern. _/|\_ <3

I won't go very far into the caverns and won't spend too long in there!!!

I really appreciate the advice and concern. _/|\_ <3

I'm glad you're not too discouraged by all the "advice and concern." If you feel you're ready, go for it. If you feel you want to get some more time in open water before tackling caverns, the caverns will still be there when you're ready. I had around 300 logged dives and passed GUE Fundies (recreational rating) when I decided to take a Cavern course--from a well regarded cave instructor--and wouldn't you know, he was reluctant to pass me because I just didn't have my act quite together. I took a step back and reflected on just how much more task loaded I am with a reel, primary light, watching turn pressure/time, etc., than when on an OW dive. I decided to learn to dive doubles and a drysuit--and get a LOT of practice dives in that configuration--before going back and taking another stab at a cavern/cave course.

I have done a number of skill practice dives in my doubles and drysuit at Vortex, but only in the open water portion. There's no real "cavern" (at least by the definition I learned in my course) at Vortex, as the light zone extends only a few feet into the overhead before it becomes a dark passage--"cave" as far as I am aware. I may not have passed the course, but I do recall the definition including that daylight must be visible and that penetration is limited to 130 (other agencies' numbers may differ) total linear feet from the surface. Not being cavern certified, I have no knowledge of Jackson Blue, but from what others have posted it sounds like that's a good place for one's first cavern dives.

Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom