First dive trip to Indo. What do you wish….

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Heading out in 3 weeks for first indo trip with a acclimation day in Singapore. 1 week at NAD Lembeh 1 week at Gangga Island. Have international dive travel experience but first time in this part of the world. Always seem to overpack regardless

Anything you wished you had brought?

Alternately anything you brought and wished you hadn’t?

This is specific to NAD and my camera set up but they do regular black water dives. I normally shoot either wide angle or 105 macro. The 105 macro does not work well mid water at night. Will take a 60mm macro lens next time.

Based on my experience in Raja4:
  • Simple first aid kit with bandages and antiseptic
  • Definitely bring ear beer, as @dirtfarmer mentions. Better yet, also get prescription ear drops which contain antibiotics. Just tell your doc you're prone to swimmer's ear.
  • Bug repellent with picaridin (I brought this, but many travellers forget)
  • Mosquito coils
  • Some way to get weather reports in remote locations without WiFi or cellular
  • 2 x 1 pound weights. I brought this. Some may think it's crazy, but resorts don't often have 1 lb (0.5 kg) weights and I'm fussy about being perfectly weighted and in trim
  • Garmin inReach, because you never know. I brought one myself.

Mosquito repellent.

Last April (2022) the mosquitos at NAD were the size of small birds.

Mosquito repellent.

Last April (2022) the mosquitos at NAD were the size of small birds.
Interesting. At NAD I did not seen any significant numbers in a March or an October trip, same on the mainland in an April trip but at a different resort on the island I was all but eaten alive on one trip in November. Wonder what conditions create them and how localized they are when it happens.

NAD had just opened post-covid lockdown when we arrived.

@outofofficebrb has some photos of them.

@Searcaigh oh, do you mean this avian specimen here?

Picaridin works very well for me throughout Indonesia (20% by Proven, fragrance free is my favorite. Lotion and Spray option that’s not aerosolized) as does the Thermacell rechargeable devices with refills. Only the rechargeable versions by them are air travel friendly. As soon as it’s on, they aren’t around and there’s no smell or smoke as with coils. In fact, many people cannot tell it’s on unless I tell them and that’s when they notice there aren’t any mosquitos and a 10-15 ft x 10-15 ft area is covered. It works well with no or little wind. I also swear by Insect Shield clothing so they also can’t bite through clothing because some will. Still related to mosquitos - I bring a 1 person backpacking tent (no fly) that I sometimes set up on the bed because I’ve been eaten alive in air conditioned rooms when they sneak in or because the provided mosquito netting has holes or doesn’t overlap and drape enough.

I bring a Sea to Summit backpacking clothesline for sink laundry and an OXO sink stopper. I love ExOfficio travel underwear (their sport line for men and women) because it dries incredibly quickly even in high humidity environments so I don’t have to pack as much and they’re super comfortable.

If you’re a photographer I like to bring a separate microfiber towel for my camera as well as an AO cooler for protection and transport of my camera to, from, on boats and it can act as my own rinse tank if needed. It’s also my spare checked bag for extra stuff I acquire. I also like to bring my own intl voltage power strip. NAD has some good ones in the camera room but I like having lots of outlets for my stuff in the room or when some places don’t have good power options.

I always carry a basic supply of Tylenol (pain/fever), Aleve (NSAID), Imodium (for the shits), waterproof bandages and 3M Tegaderm, a Bite Away pen if I get hit with a mosquito bite so it stops the itch and swelling from continuing ASAP, antibiotic first aid cream, and 2-3 types of antibiotics suitable for broad traveler issues which you should consult your doctor on. The goal is to not need to make a run for any pharmacy if it can be avoided.

UV protection always welcome here as the sun is super strong and catches up with you before you know it. Rash guards are always great. Don’t bother bringing many socks - I just bring some for flights when I wear shoes. Many rooms in NAD have drying areas in the shade (in front of your door) so everything dries a lot slower and there’s not much wind or air flow here. It’s also a bit slow in AC rooms. Make sure you bring enough swimwear so you can change into dry ones. At least 3-4 is my suggestion.

1B9AA29F-B79C-4144-92AC-8FF1C06815C4.jpeg

Thanks so much! Very helpful and my Amazon list just got bigger!
@Searcaigh oh, do you mean this avian specimen here?

Picaridin works very well for me throughout Indonesia (20% by Proven, fragrance free is my favorite. Lotion and Spray option that’s not aerosolized) as does the Thermacell rechargeable devices with refills. Only the rechargeable versions by them are air travel friendly. As soon as it’s on, they aren’t around and there’s no smell or smoke as with coils. In fact, many people cannot tell it’s on unless I tell them and that’s when they notice there aren’t any mosquitos and a 10-15 ft x 10-15 ft area is covered. It works well with no or little wind. I also swear by Insect Shield clothing so they also can’t bite through clothing because some will. Still related to mosquitos - I bring a 1 person backpacking tent (no fly) that I sometimes set up on the bed because I’ve been eaten alive in air conditioned rooms when they sneak in or because the provided mosquito netting has holes or doesn’t overlap and drape enough.

I bring a Sea to Summit backpacking clothesline for sink laundry and an OXO sink stopper. I love ExOfficio travel underwear (their sport line for men and women) because it dries incredibly quickly even in high humidity environments so I don’t have to pack as much and they’re super comfortable.

If you’re a photographer I like to bring a separate microfiber towel for my camera as well as an AO cooler for protection and transport of my camera to, from, on boats and it can act as my own rinse tank if needed. It’s also my spare checked bag for extra stuff I acquire. I also like to bring my own intl voltage power strip. NAD has some good ones in the camera room but I like having lots of outlets for my stuff in the room or when some places don’t have good power options.

I always carry a basic supply of Tylenol (pain/fever), Aleve (NSAID), Imodium (for the shits), waterproof bandages and 3M Tegaderm, a Bite Away pen if I get hit with a mosquito bite so it stops the itch and swelling from continuing ASAP, antibiotic first aid cream, and 2-3 types of antibiotics suitable for broad traveler issues which you should consult your doctor on. The goal is to not need to make a run for any pharmacy if it can be avoided.

UV protection always welcome here as the sun is super strong and catches up with you before you know it. Rash guards are always great. Don’t bother bringing many socks - I just bring some for flights when I wear shoes. Many rooms in NAD have drying areas in the shade (in front of your door) so everything dries a lot slower and there’s not much wind or air flow here. It’s also a bit slow in AC rooms. Make sure you bring enough swimwear so you can change into dry ones. At least 3-4 is my suggestion.

View attachment 775284Thanks so much, very helpful and my Amazon list just got pretty big 😃

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom