First dive on the new gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

demarest652

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well after hours of research on sb and talking everyone i could i finally decided buy my first set of gear. Scubapro Knighthawk and a Scubapro mk25/s600. I bought it on tuesday and due to the lack of a dive buddy i didnt get to make the first dive with it until today. I was anxious to see how well i liked back inflation. I am totally satisfied. The knighthawk is a great bc, all of the negatives i have been told about back inflation i didnt have any problem with at all i can float however i want on the surface without getting pushed face down, underwater i can be in whatever position i want. I am very happy with my purchases the reg is great.

That's great to hear. I just purchased all new gear last week and have yet to get it wet. I am taking a drysuit class on Wednesday, so I will finally get my chance! Hope I made all the right decisions.

Fireman just becareful. Usually when you buy new gear, introduce one new equipment per dive. In your drysuit class, the drysuit is a bit challenging to get used to. You don't want that time to be unfamiliar with your BCD or new reg. Just a caution, but have fun.

Back inflation is awesome. If you ever get to use a jacket again, you'll start to laugh (or curse, depending on your mood) at how cumbersome it is (constant readjustment at depth, the squeeze on the surface, etc). New gear is also awesome.

Good luck on the dry suit. Taking the class is a good idea. I'm still getting used to mine after ~15 dives. My first dive included a "feet-first ascent" or two, hehe.

Well after hours of research on sb and talking everyone i could i finally decided buy my first set of gear. Scubapro Knighthawk and a Scubapro mk25/s600. I bought it on tuesday and due to the lack of a dive buddy i didnt get to make the first dive with it until today. I was anxious to see how well i liked back inflation. I am totally satisfied. The knighthawk is a great bc, all of the negatives i have been told about back inflation i didnt have any problem with at all i can float however i want on the surface without getting pushed face down, underwater i can be in whatever position i want. I am very happy with my purchases the reg is great.

Thats the exact same gear I started out with but just an FYI that mk25 isn't designed for cold water and I dumped mine after it freeflowed in favor of a mk17. I dont know if you dive in cold water or not so I just thought I would put it out there.

I sold dumped my nighthawk bcd, in favor of a backplate and wing with hogarthian harness, after only 40 dives or so. That thing is a cluster of unnecessary components IMO.

Glad to see you got some gear though.

When diving cold in my opinion a cluster of things on a Jacket BCD can be annoying and a hazard waiting to happen.

I dumped my Jacket BCD after 45 dives in favor of a BP/W. You will do the same in time, it's just the more sensible thing in diving as your progress.

I think it's a learning curve because it's easier to learn in a BCD type inflation over a BP/W for the new diver.

But as time progresses, the novice diver demands more from his gear and thats when we see a change in gear and the BP/W becomes a solution to the demands of the new diver.

MG

Back
Top Bottom