First Dive on new wreck in Nanaimo!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh boy I can't wait to get down to her. Awesome. I'm glad you guys have a new wreck for when things are lumpy out in the Straits of Georgia.

OE2X:
Oh boy I can't wait to get down to her. Awesome. I'm glad you guys have a new wreck for when things are lumpy out in the Straits of Georgia.

Yeah and don't forget you can get a whole hour NDL on her so lots of time for skills practice.

Who said the NDA was defunct?? They just recieved an award from the city of Nanaimo for all the great work they have done.

First, get your facts straight...before you expound meaninglessly...

The Nanaimo Dive Association is alive and well. Your information is inflammatory, negligent and just plain wrong. Who do you think pays for these projects on a daily basis from their bottom lines? Who's business's, assets, home's and family's are now and have been on the line and struggling for the last 8 years?
The Saskatchewan Project was $570,000 minimum ($40,000 still owing to a private donor), the Cape Breton Project was $390,000 minimun ($46,000 still owing to the City) and the Rivtow Lion (almost break even - whew!). Only two of the original member's of this group shoulder this responsibility and are still endebted to the creditors for this. Who do you think makes the monthly payments?? The creditors involved certainly consider the NDA viable. When did you contribute anything more than lip service, promises and a minimal amount of sweat and volunteer hours to the last two of these projects when you were approached? Any major cash??
Yet you are out there every day reaping the rewards using and diving these artificail reefs. If the NDA is defunct why did the Nanaimo Chamber of Commerce give the NDA the Sterling Award forTourism Initiatives in 2002 and the City of Nanaimo award the NDA with the City's Leading Edge Award for Vision in Developing Tourism Infrastructure in 2004. You are sadly mistaken and negligent in you research and statements, and we want a retraction. Ask anyone who is enlightened on any of these three projects, they will tell you. Can't find anyone? We will forward your email address from Australia, San Diego,the Florida Keys and to Cornwall, UK and they will gladly inform you. The NDA is held out on an international level as the little organization that could and DID IT. We have created the largest artificial reef structure in the world. Enough said? Any more questions? I am Ready and available to listen.

sask.wrecker:
First, get your facts straight...before you expound meaninglessly...

The Nanaimo Dive Association is alive and well. Your information is inflammatory, negligent and just plain wrong. Who do you think pays for these projects on a daily basis from their bottom lines? Who's business's, assets, home's and family's are now and have been on the line and struggling for the last 8 years?
The Saskatchewan Project was $570,000 minimum ($40,000 still owing to a private donor), the Cape Breton Project was $390,000 minimun ($46,000 still owing to the City) and the Rivtow Lion (almost break even - whew!). Only two of the original member's of this group shoulder this responsibility and are still endebted to the creditors for this. Who do you think makes the monthly payments?? The creditors involved certainly consider the NDA viable. When did you contribute anything more than lip service, promises and a minimal amount of sweat and volunteer hours to the last two of these projects when you were approached? Any major cash??
Yet you are out there every day reaping the rewards using and diving these artificail reefs. If the NDA is defunct why did the Nanaimo Chamber of Commerce give the NDA the Sterling Award forTourism Initiatives in 2002 and the City of Nanaimo award the NDA with the City's Leading Edge Award for Vision in Developing Tourism Infrastructure in 2004. You are sadly mistaken and negligent in you research and statements, and we want a retraction. Ask anyone who is enlightened on any of these three projects, they will tell you. Can't find anyone? We will forward your email address from Australia, San Diego,the Florida Keys and to Cornwall, UK and they will gladly inform you. The NDA is held out on an international level as the little organization that could and DID IT. We have created the largest artificial reef structure in the world. Enough said? Any more questions? I am Ready and available to listen.

I aplologize if my information was incorrect and I did not mean to be inflammitory. I was merely repeating what I was told but obviously I should have checked my facts before repeating it publicly. I do appreciate the work done by the NDA and do reap the benefits as a diver (since I am not in a postion to reap financial rewards).
As far as the comment you made about lip service and promises I have done neither. No-one asked and I made no promises about anything. How about we both agree to check our facts more carefully?

The bottom line here let face it, is without these wrecks they would no reasons for many of us to go to Nanaimo. The Cape Breton is one of my favorite wreck dive and I try to dive it a minimum of about 5 times a year. I haven't dove the Rivtow lion yet, but I will as soon as I can. Thanks to all the volunteers.

For those interested... the Rivtow Lion depth stats:

At Zero Tide (Low Water):
-Sand at the bow 80 feet
-base of rudder 60 feet (just out of sand)
-Aft main deck 45 feet
-Bridge windows 45 feet
-Top of funnel 36 feet
-Top of mast (behind funnel - midship) 33 feet
-Attitude: bow down with approx. a 15 degree list to port
Recent Viz: Awesome 45 to 55 feet or greater

In Nanaimo a high tide is usually around 15 feet (add to above numbers), a really high tide can be 17 feet, average tide is 8-9 feet.

As stated above, you can play & explore for about an hour and not worry about your NDL.

Come and enjoy! :wink:

Excellent! I'll have to check her out on my next Nanimo trip!!! is there any charters there that cater to freedivers? at 75fsw she would be a lot of fun.

Have dove with OceanExp. twice before. they are amazing. Ian was great to deal with. never been freediving with them though. think I still have a card around here good for 2 dives..... not sure if it's valid, from feb.03......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom