First Dive on new wreck in Nanaimo!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc

CCR Instructor Trainer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just watched the sinking of the Rivtow Lion yesterday in Nanaimo and was lucky enough to be among the very fist divers on the wreck. The wreck was sunk within Nanaimo Harbour limits and just to emphasize the benefit of this location it was blowing a gale just outside the harbour yet there people in kayaks and canoes watching the sinking. There was no pyrotecnic display for this one and the pump (generously donated by Ken Adrian of Divers Choice charters http://www.divingbccanada.com/ ) took about 2 hrs to finally bring about the sinking. Well done to Fred Demchuck (hope I spelled that right) as the wreck sank exactly as he had predicted due to some carefull pre-ballasting. She went down on an almost even keel with the bow pointing toward the sea. Fred was the driving force behind this operation which will allow divers in the Nanaimo area access to a relatively shallow (75ft at the bottom by the bow) wreck for training and hopefully soon lots of marine life makes their home there like the other 2 wrecks in the area.

Uncle Pug:
thanks for the report Dave and congratulations on being amongst the first. :D
So when you going to check it out?

Uncle Pug:
As soon as the marine life moves in to cover it. :D

Actually I bet I could talk OE2X into heading up that way sometime soon. :D

Want to stop by and take me with you? I'm on the way... :D

Of course, on the way means taking the ferry to Victoria instead of Nanaimo. Maybe I'll drive up there myself.

Wedivebc: Do you know how much the local charters charging for the trip? Perhaps we could organize a Scubaboard trip in the near future.

SeanQ:
Of course, on the way means taking the ferry to Victoria instead of Nanaimo. Maybe I'll drive up there myself.

Wedivebc: Do you know how much the local charters charging for the trip? Perhaps we could organize a Scubaboard trip in the near future.

Hey Sean,
Ken charges $100 for 2 tank dive, lunch, drinks etc and a post dive snack. He also gives us guys who bring their own full tanks a discount. Check the web site to confirm. Book your trip early cause I think he said other than last weekend in feb he's book through june but don't quote me on that.
I laughed when I saw your countdown timer.
Uncle Pug:
As soon as the marine life moves in to cover it. :D

Actually there was a starfish, a crab and the part below the former waterline has lots of anenomes and such growing

Great report, however, I would like to clarify a few points:
The driving force for the Rivtow Lion Project (and Saskatchewan / Cape Breton Projects for that matter) is the Nanaimo Dive Association. Of course there are many, many associate members, sponsors, donors, volunteers, and paid crews in every endeavour of this nature. Fred Demchuk has been both a paid crew member and volunteer for the association, he has graciously donated many volunteer days to both the Cape Breton and Rivtow Lion projects. One cannot overlook that it is only the group effort that makes an artificial reef happen.
The members of the Nanaimo Dive Association for this project are Sundown Diving http://www.sundowndiving.com/ and Ocean Explorers Diving http://www.oceanexplorersdiving.com/. These two companies directly oversaw and participated in all aspects of the final environmental cleanup of the vessel and inspection, diver safety preparation, site selection and inspection, almost endless permit applications, logistics, fundraising, manpower, insurance, towing, security...the list is truly endless and weighs heavily on the available resources.
In the writers opinion Fred did an awesome job on the project along with others and without him and them the entire ordeal would have been much longer.
Finally, a great debt of thanks is owed to Saltaire Marine of Ladysmith, BC who performed an outstanding job on the hydrocarbon clean-up (way to go Jeff and staff!!) and the Canadian Coast Guard Environmetal Response Unit (Mr. W. Stevens) whose vision and support made this project enter the realm of possibity.
Good Job one and all.
P.S. Thanks to Ocean Construction,Nanaimo for allowing the vessel to be tied up at their facilty for so long...good on ya!

Thanks for the info sask.wrecker. Especially seeing how you joined scubaboard just to pass this info along :wink:
Just for the record I was told by one of the primaries that the NDA is defunct

Back
Top Bottom