First dive in doubles and overexertion.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man, that's the kind of entry that makes me leave the doubles on the shore. I'm impressed.

I don't totally understand your rescue proceedures...

But i was taught and get myself quite negative and on top of the convulsing/unconcious diver. Then use their wing to control your combined mass. You're negative and they are positive so you stay stuck together.

At some point in the ascent you need to tip everyone into a more vertical position. To vent the drysuit suit if nothing else.

In this case you'd be on the unconcious diver's left side with your left hand under left armpit and on their inflator. Your right hand is on top of their manifold, around the right side of the unconcious divers head and hold their reg in their mouth. Purging lightly if the reg/lungs aren't venting. You are still negative and they have most/all the bouyancy. The unconcious diver's manifold stays in continuous contact with your right arm. You need to be higher than the unconcious diver. Your chest is about the level of their left shoulder. Takes alot of parctice. But this way your stay together otherwise you have 2x the bouyancy devices to control and eventually one or the other floats or sinks away from the other.

Glad everyone's ok and hope you get the breathless issues worked out.

Richard,

I just learned a new way that really surpasses the other ways I have been taught.

get over top of them, dump your wing and suit. reach over the manifold and grab them by the chin.(this will let you purge the reg with your thumb) Put the manifold in your chest until you get them moving, then let them slide basically to the to your xiphoid process. Instead of reaching under their arm to hit their inflator go over, you can dump without having to move too much. Its a super slick technique. I can show you sometime if you like.

That's sounds "about" what I was taught. Either chin or reg with right hand. Going over the left arm certainly works for direct ascents. I think I might have been taught the "over" left technique in tech1- can't exactly remember. :huh:

But in cave class I definately had to go behind the left arm. So you tow them with your right arm hooked on the right post knob and left arm behind their left armpit. Isolator is in your sternum. I found the horizontal towing easier than the ascent in tech class.

Actually this is a skill I don't practice as much as I should. I'd like to see your way and compare with what I remember. I'm 100% booked this weekend and on the 12th too. Maybe sometime afterwork next week? Get the ol' Stedmaster out their with us for fun times too.

Jim ---

Wow --- what a story! Not exactly the one I was hoping to hear for you r first time taking the twins out for a test drive, but you did a great job holding yourself together and letting your training kick in. Good job! You learned some valuable lessons and I bet next time things go flawlessly.

Great job nailing your buoyancy right off the bat!! That in itself is impressive! You should be very proud of yourself for that.

Kimber

Afterwork next week works for me. I have plans all weekend that involve my newest toy.... Motorcycle.... Oh how I had missed my little two wheeled friends!!

rjack321:
That's sounds "about" what I was taught. Either chin or reg with right hand. Going over the left arm certainly works for direct ascents. I think I might have been taught the "over" left technique in tech1- can't exactly remember. :huh:

But in cave class I definately had to go behind the left arm. So you tow them with your right arm hooked on the right post knob and left arm behind their left armpit. Isolator is in your sternum. I found the horizontal towing easier than the ascent in tech class.

Actually this is a skill I don't practice as much as I should. I'd like to see your way and compare with what I remember. I'm 100% booked this weekend and on the 12th too. Maybe sometime afterwork next week? Get the ol' Stedmaster out their with us for fun times too.

Hey, can I join the rescue fun? This is one skill I have not practiced enough to get good at it, and I'd love to see a couple of different ways of doing it.

TekDiveGirl:
Jim ---

Wow --- what a story! Not exactly the one I was hoping to hear for you r first time taking the twins out for a test drive, but you did a great job holding yourself together and letting your training kick in. Good job! You learned some valuable lessons and I bet next time things go flawlessly.

Great job nailing your buoyancy right off the bat!! That in itself is impressive! You should be very proud of yourself for that.

Kimber
Thanks Kim, from you that means alot. I really did not find the buoyancy control to be a major issue once I was underwater. Perhaps it's because I have worked so hard on it while diving singles. I also believe that by adopting the same attitude towards doubles that I do with singles helped alot. I have made a conscious effort to relax for so long and not fight whatever configuration I was diving that once I slip under it's now second nature. I chose my placement of the tanks, wing, and accessories carefully and just went with it with the expectation that adjustments would have to be made. That way there was no tension and preconceived ideas. Just an attitude that this will work or not. Turns out it did. There are still some minor things to tune up and the addition of my can light and a stage but that will come with the next few dives and one thing at a time. a few dives with the can since one of the dives we may be doing is a night dive on a wreck in lake erie. bottoms out around 150-160. Then will consider adding a stage starting with my 19 and moving up to the 40. No big rush. Just wanna have alot of fun, be safe, and come back alive and unbent.

I just switsed to doubles as well (2x 10l) as well as BP, harness and 25l wing. It is bulky and heavy on shore but wonderfull to dive with. Last dive was at 30 m with 7 deg C at the bottom. Really nice to have lots of air. And with a properly adjusted harness carring the stuff is not too difficult. I carry the belt around my hips which destribute the wight to the large leg muscles while upright. Just the same way I used to carry my back pack.

Bounacy controll does not seem to be an issue. Carring the set until I get it on my back is the worst part.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'll be a bit more careful in the future.

I didn't find buoyancy to be a big thing when I switched. Trim was another issue, and I still can't trim out the 72s perfectly. I think trim is more tank-dependent with doubles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom