First dive in doubles and overexertion.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Yesterday I had my first set of skill dives for NAUI Tech1(Intro to tech and heliotrox). We were at a local lake with air temps in the low 50's and water temps of about 64-66 depending on whose comp you went by. Evrything as far as gearing up and getting set up went fine. We all took our time and got a good safety briefing prior to getting in the water. Was wearing my OS trilam suit with both sets of undergarments. LP85's, DSS doubles rig with 50 lb bladder and hog harness. SS plate with no ditchable weight on the belt. A chain of events began when I got into the water, went to put on my fins and fell backwards. DId not go under as I had some air in the suit and wing but could not get upright. It was at this point I realized I should have put my mask and hood on and reg in my mouth before putting on the fins. Had I done this I simply could have dumped air, rolled over and got upright. As it was I spent a minute trying to get up as I was floating away from the group in the light current that is in this lake. I realized then that the only way to get up was to maneuver closer to shore, grab an overhanging tree branch, get upright and while using the branch as a stablizer get it together. This I did and got back to the group SLIGHTLY winded(or so I thought) to hear the briefing as to what we were going to do.

The first exercise was going to be a 50 or so yard surface swim to a buoy, descend horizontally, and once on the platform simulate an oxtox rescue. Ok. swim out was more tiring than I expected but I was still ok. Oh after the rescue we were to tow our buddy back in to the starting point. Descent to the platform went very well, stopped as instructed at 10 ft 20 ft and then hovering at 24 one foot above the platform. At this point my buddy went into convulsions. I got him from the back and held him there until the convulsions stopped. At this point I was to bring him to the surface. Now here is where another thing happened that I was not expecting. In my PADI rescue class I was taught to use the vic inflator to bring him up. In a technical configuration I learned the hard way that it is better to use mine and not put air into his until we hit the surface. At about 15 ft we got into an uncontrolled ascent and I let go of him and came up way too fast. My suit could not vent fast enough and coupled with the air in his wing and suit I was propelled rapidly upward. I broke the surface and was ok but since the exercise was a bust it needed to be repeated. Now I was tired. After resting for a minute We descended again and this time I brought him up text book perfect. Now I had to tow him back in. It seems prudent to mention now that my buddy was finishing and polishing some skills for his full trimix cert. As a result he was carrying his double 108's as well as an al80 stage and al 40 stage ox bottle. This made for ALOT of drag. About half way in I could not catch my breath. My neck seal felt too tight, the reg was not delivering enough air, and I was trying to get more air in through my nose. With a mask on this is not possible. I pulled the mask off, then my hood which now was feeling like a vise and tried to gulp some air down. At this point a small wave blew some water in my face and down my throat and up my nose. I spit it out and immediately realized that I was about to make a bad situation worse as I knew what was next was panic. It had already started when I pulled the mask off. I immediately froze, stopped thrashing around, located my buddy and told him I needed help.

He was at my side in an instant, signalled some of our group who was on the surface that we needed help and that this was not a drill. He had to yell two or three times due to the wind and hoods that everyone was wearing. The first to reach us was a guy whose name I have to get because it was his first ow dives after being certed last week! Soon another got to us and I informed them that I had really overexerted my self and could not get enough air. It was a textbook rescue. They slipped me out of my harness, and as they towed me to the boat launch got my fins off and by the time we reached shore I had relaxed enough to get my breathing under control and walked out under my own power with two guys beside me going over the standard questions and exam protocalls to determine I was indeed ok. I told one of them I was ok and it wasn't really necessary. His response was what would you do. I shut up and let them do what they needed to. After about 10 minutes I had fully recovered and was ready for the next set of skills on the next dive.
I did the next set of dives which involved 100 ft swim underwater while sharing air, 100 ft swim sharing air with no mask, more buoyancy drills, and finally shooting my bag from 50 ft and doing simulated deco stops every 10 ft while drifting in the mild current. Everything on this dive went like clockwork. It was a great confidence builder and even my instructor remarked how good my trim, and buoyancy skills were on this dive. I'll post later about things I was worried about happening that didn't and how much I love diving doubles.

Analysis: Number 1. Changing how I geared up could have avoided the intial way I got overexerted

Number 2: Most of this could have been avoided had I asked for help immediately getting upright before the dive started.

Number 3: I should have taken more time to recover from number one.

Number 4: The surface swim out was slightly against the current so it could have been done more slowly.

Number5: After the rapid ascent should have spent more time on the surface recovering.

Number6: When we ascended the second time and started the tow it was also perpendicular to the current. I was trying too hard to get him in and should have taken more time. Also in a real scenario I would have ditched his stages to minimize the drag and made it easier. I was the smallest guy there and was also the only one who had to tow someone with that much gear on. Not that it makes a difference because it could happen again in a real life situation but in a real life there are some things that could or would have been done differently.

Number 7: Most importantly I learned that my self rescue skills are still good but need improvement. I was able to recover and get it together because I recognized there was a problem and asked for help. Could have done it sooner but this is a lesson I'll not forget. All in all it was a great day and I'm lookin forward to the next set of skills dive day. Thoughts?

I read a post by H2Andy a while back about falling while on the steps, getting into the water in doubles. Since then, I do not put one foot in the water in doubles without my wing fully inflated, and without having checked that my backup reg is directly beneath my chin. I have only fallen once getting in, and that was onto my knees, but I have fallen repeatedly getting out (when I also make sure the wing is fully inflated). Doubles are a lot of mass, and even my GUE instructor cannot get up if he falls in his. Hint, though: It's easy to float yourself out into deep enough water to stand up in, much easier than trying to lever the weight out of the water.

I'm worried about your description of your overexertion, though. I don't know how old you are, or what kind of cardiovascular shape you're in, but somebody who gets winded enough to panic towing another diver makes me worry about either angina or some kind of pulmonary process (or someone who is really horribly out of shape). If you are old enough to have heart disease (over 45 in today's world), smoke, have high blood pressure or diabetes, or a family history for heart problems, I'd suggest you go get a stress test, unless you would expect this kind of breathlessness with that much exertion on land.

JimLap:
...when I got into the water, went to put on my fins and fell backwards.
Thanks for sharing this story, Jim. Good on you! I'm sure lots of folks will chime in with their thoughts. So my comment will be a little less on the big picture.

Are you using spring straps on your fins? With doubles, I consider spring straps a non-optional item. Being able to quickly and easily don and doff your fins is a must do. I've seen too many divers become winded before they take their first breath just from struggling with their fins. If you are waist deep in the water, nice and stable, letting your wing float the weight of the kit on the water's surface, with just a little practice, you can easily slip a spring-strapped fin on in only a second with almost no effort - even in the surf between waves.

My tech instructor was always telling me, "Slow is fast."

Isn't that the truth!

TSandM:
I'm worried about your description of your overexertion, though. I don't know how old you are, or what kind of cardiovascular shape you're in, but somebody who gets winded enough to panic towing another diver makes me worry about either angina or some kind of pulmonary process (or someone who is really horribly out of shape). If you are old enough to have heart disease (over 45 in today's world), smoke, have high blood pressure or diabetes, or a family history for heart problems, I'd suggest you go get a stress test, unless you would expect this kind of breathlessness with that much exertion on land.

Lynn, Thanks for the advice and concern. I have my annual physical in June and at 47 it's time I started having my doc check these types of things. I'm 5'7" and 160. I'm about 6 lbs over what I consider my ideal body weight. Which this early in the year is not that bad. I tend to put some on in the winter and lose it in the summer. My cardio fitness could be better. I do not smoke, drink, or use anything stronger than 800mg Ibuprofen. I have early arthritis in my hands due to being a butcher for many years. I work swing shifts and I worked til 11 friday night. Also all of this activity took place in the span of about 20 miuntes from the time I got into the water till the incident. So there was for me alot of exertion in that short time period.

I do need to start running again and now that the weather has broken here(FINALLY) I hope. I'll be able to do that. I started light weight training again when I knew I was for sure going to start this class. I no longer have a gym membership because of the swing shifts and mandatory overtime, taking care of my fiance who is confined to a wheelchair with MD, and working at the dive shop. (Side note. My tech instructor approached me about helping him with recreational classes and getting my NAUI DM cert. Not required since I'm already a PADI DM and carry full insurance but he knows what my abilites and experience is with rec students and can do what he needs done.)

I will be looking into the stress test with my doc and will do whatever he advises. There is a history of high blood pressure and some heart problems in my family. My BP is usually around 110/70 or so. And again I didn't panic but knew if I did not check what was happening it was a real possibility. I'm going to trim or stretch my neck seal, it's new, my hood needs replaced as I've never been able to wear it fully zipped, and will take the proper measures to gear up next time.

Rick, I do use springs and that was not the problem. The problem was not being used top that much weight on my back and simply leaned too far back. The next dive had no problems at all just because I shifted to a more stable posture to take the weight into account.

And again thanks guys. Looking forward to others thoughts.

Jim,

I prefer doubles for almost all my diving. The only two times I find the doubles "less fun" is on longish surface swims, and hiking back up the hill to my truck.

I don't know how you are surface swimming, but I will almost alway swim on my back if I have any real distance to cover. Slow and easy.

Glad to hear you are OK. Good job on buoyancy your first time out.

Tobin

Thanks Tobin, I also usually do surface work on my back. And will from now on. Only reason I was face down this trip was that my buddy who already passed the class was swimming at about 5 ft down to minimize the drag from his stages. I was required to do this swim on the surface and the only way to do it and keep contact with him was to be able to watch him under me. And the LCD 50 wing worked great. No problems venting when I needed to and there was no issue with the bubble shifting and turning me turtle under water. In fact the rig was so stable that aside from the increased drag I didn't know I had doubles on. Now of course I did not try any barrel rolls or anything of that nature but it seems I have the harness adjusted perfectly as there was no shifting of the tanks. I did have to lengthen the crotch strap about an inch or so the second dive but I expected that. Obviously there is some fine tuning to the rig such as placement of things and such but this is all minor. Overall it was a great experience and it felt so good doing those stops in complete control. Only down side was my reel line tension screw froze up. I was able to use it but need to attend to it today sometime. It was supposed to be a stainless screw but it rusted in the threads and I have a nylon one here somewhere. Just gotta find it.

Thank you Jim for posting your adventure.

Good reminders all the way around never to be too proud to ask for help... or a minute to rest up...

I like the "slow... is fast" Rick... :)

I've come to love my doubles. I did a dive today in a single tank in cold water, which I haven't done in about six months, and I didn't like it. I've become addicted to the stability of being somewhat negative through the whole dive (as I virtually NEVER breathe the doubles down to 500 psi) and the side-to-side stability of the tanks. Overall, they're well worth the extra effort to haul them around.

But I was very glad I didn't have them today, because we had a challenging entry and exit, and it would not have gone well for me. They are a LOT of mass, and one learns very quickly not to let them get very far from balanced, whether one is standing or diving, because their momentum can be quite difficult to arrest.

I like to put my fins on before donning the bcd bp/wings. This seems to be out of order for how most people so it (ie wrong) but I find that with all that weight on me that it is too awkward to bend foward head down. Gets me a bit seasick.
Sounds like you were doing new stuff and had some task overload issues.

If i was on a boat it would not be a problem. We were shore diving and the entry involved going down a 12 ft slope that has been washed out pretty badly. Then navigating between large submerged and partially submerged rocks, some of which were unstable. I made it thru that obstacle course fine. Trying it with fins on? Would have been easier and less painful to just eat a bullet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom